A10 Games 2/13 & 2/14 (35 - 10)

Taj79

So we agree that five or six automatic bids out of the A-10 is wishful thinking. I think a best case would be four, plus a tournament bid (a la Bonawelding last year). I am into rooting for SLU more so than the number of teams the A-10 gets in. If you only have three A-10 teams in now... IF LaSalle and Temple finish strong and have better RPIs and we don't go very deep in the conference tournament, we could be in trouble. I see rooting for the A-10 in the nonconference, but that's over. I'm rooting against Temple now. If it comes down to taking one more A-10 team or another BCS team, I don't have faith in the selection committee.

Yes we agree 5 or 6 is out....I think 4 is the max even with a dark horse tourney winner. So if the season ended today the Big 3 are in SLU, VCU , Butler and then LaSalle with a 67% chance. If RI comes out of nowhere and wins the tourney and then gets a bid, LaS would be out. The only way you could have more than 4 bids is if you had 4 teams reach the A level and then have a dark horse....almost impossible because you would then have the dark horse knocking down the good teams. Also it would be difficult to have 4 teams reach the A level because they are playing one another and knocking each other down the rest of the season.

The other scenario is the top 3 all start losing and the A-10 winds up with 1 or 2 bids.

Most likely scenario...A-10 with 3 bids (the Bills one of them) and a 2/3 chance for 1 more( LaS currently...assuming they beat the Bonnies tomorrow)

We just need to stay focused and that will be JC's job.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes we agree 5 or 6 is out....I think 4 is the max even with a dark horse tourney winner. So if the season ended today the Big 3 are in SLU, VCU , Butler and then LaSalle with a 67% chance. If RI comes out of nowhere and wins the tourney and then gets a bid, LaS would be out. The only way you could have more than 4 bids is if you had 4 teams reach the A level and then have a dark horse....almost impossible because you would then have the dark horse knocking down the good teams. Also it would be difficult to have 4 teams reach the A level because they are playing one another and knocking each other down the rest of the season.

The other scenario is the top 3 all start losing and the A-10 winds up with 1 or 2 bids.

Most likely scenario...A-10 with 3 bids (the Bills one of them) and a 2/3 chance for 1 more( LaS currently...assuming they beat the Bonnies tomorrow)

We just need to stay focused and that will be JC's job.

I'm not going to dispute your numbers, Wiz. But I also think you have to take into account that Temple might be given the benefit of the doubt if they end up with a decent RPI (~50) and win at least one game in the conference tourney. Temple has been to the tournament for 5 straight seasons and has a lot of name recognition. If they are within striking distance, I can see the selection committee letting them in based on their history and consecutive trips to the tournament.

I'm not going to dispute your numbers, Wiz. But I also think you have to take into account that Temple might be given the benefit of the doubt if they end up with a decent RPI (~50) and win at least one game in the conference tourney. Temple has been to the tournament for 5 straight seasons and has a lot of name recognition. If they are within striking distance, I can see the selection committee letting them in based on their history and consecutive trips to the tournament.

I would agree that Temple has a chance with the operative word being chance. My B+ teams are teams that are not "in" yet but that could put themselves in a position to get a bid. Let's call it near the bubble. Those teams are Dayton, St. J, Temp, and LaS

Dayton and St. J would have to win all their remaining games and then they might still fall short depending on what other teams do. If Temple wins out they would move to the 2/3 chance. LaS has the best shot right now. If they win there next 1 or 2 games they move to the 2/3 chance of being in.

In the end it looks like the A-10 is headed for 3 bids with a decent chance of 4 or if teams stumble 2.

Posted a 4 and 1 last night to go up to 39 - 11 .780. The YouDee cheer had been augmented. Instead of "Gooooooooooooooooo, Dayton Flyers" it can now be done as "Goooooooooooooo Home, Dayton Flyers" as in NI(A10)T --- Not In A10 Tourney.

At the risk of getting ahead of ourselves, Butler's loss to Charlotte last night gives us a chance to be in 1st place alone in the A-10 with victories in our next two games. With the home cooking, I like our chances of getting that done.

I used to get very into rooting for the A-10 to get as many bids as possible, but this year it feels less important to me. For example, Temple is gone no matter what so rooting for them to do well doesn't seem to matter. With our status obviously up in the air, its hard to know if any revenues associated with other A-10 teams in the dance will make their way to SLU.

Of course, if we found out tomorrow that we were a part of the C7 we'd immediately have rooting interests in teams like Marquette, G-Town, Butler, Creighton (maybe), and others. If we find out we are left behind, our rooting interests are with LaSalle, VCU (maybe), UMass, etc.

The waiting is the hardest part...

So true I hope they don't

Break down

when we go

Runnin down a dream

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="pretty_ricky" data-cid="342838" data-time="1360896848"><p>

unfortunately the SLU cable package doesn't include CBSsports, i'll have to head to the bar</p></blockquote>

Nothing unfortunate about be forced to go to a bar!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="pretty_ricky" data-cid="342838" data-time="1360896848"><p>

unfortunately the SLU cable package doesn't include CBSsports, i'll have to head to the bar</p></blockquote>

Nothing unfortunate about be forced to go to a bar!

words to live by