Recruits at Butler game

crymdg2

So Tatum's kid is a point guard?

i think he just handles it because he is the best all around player there. i would doubt he plays point guard in college as i believe he is predicted to be quite tall when he finishes growing.

I haven't "seen the kid play." But a few articles I have read about him mention working on this guard skills even though his size will probably make him a forward. A forward who can shoot, dribble, & pass is very nice, but I hope Tatum also has the ability to bang down low. Again, having not seen him play, I can't really say what his game is. The focus on guard skills has me worried that he will be a "soft" big.

I would be surprised to see Justin Tatum's kid end up as a soft big.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ricky Roe (Matt Nover) was all of 6' 8" and solid as a brick house. I played in games against him in the long lost past... and got hammered. Oak tree. funny thing is, In Blue chips, he looks a little small. But he does get the tractor!

Nover is still the single season and career FG% record hold at Indian, btw. And he regrets having agreed to be in Blue Chips.

ps: speaking of big point guards, there was this 6' 9" kid from Lansing named Earvin, back in the 70s, what ever happened to him? Well, some of you young guys ought to look him up, boy could he weave through traffic, glide may be a getter verb, just like a dolphin in water... and LOVED the game, always smiling.

I highly doubt Jayson will be any sort of a traditional big in the future. He'll likely be a very tall 2/3, which is exactly why he's going to be ranked so high.

FWI, I think we have a legit shot with this kid. Hiring his dad as an assistant wouldn't hurt that, either.

So Tatum's kid is a point guard?

i think he just handles it because he is the best all around player there. i would doubt he plays point guard in college as i believe he is predicted to be quite tall when he finishes growing.

Right on both counts, Roy. His mom played college basketball too and is quite tall. I have heard that he's projected to be as tall as 6-11. He just handles the ball a lot because Chaminade's team is so young and he's the go-to guy already. Also, I'm not sure he's going to have the thick frame his dad had so he might not be as physical a player. Time will tell.

Very cool to see that Tweet from Larry.

Ricky Roe (Matt Nover) was all of 6' 8" and solid as a brick house. I played in games against him in the long lost past... and got hammered. Oak tree. funny thing is, In Blue chips, he looks a little small. But he does get the tractor!

Nover is still the single season and career FG% record hold at Indian, btw. And he regrets having agreed to be in Blue Chips.

ps: speaking of big point guards, there was this 6' 9" kid from Lansing named Earvin, back in the 70s, what ever happened to him? Well, some of you young guys ought to look him up, boy could he weave through traffic, glide may be a getter verb, just like a dolphin in water... and LOVED the game, always smiling.

I think Magic was 6 foot 8 when he started college as a guard not that it matters he did ok

Ive read some things about this kid too and I se him as an LBJ type guy.

Now in no way am I saying he has the same talent but physically it seems thats how he was brought up playing.

He will grow at least a few more inches.

Then we are talking about a kid who is 6 foot 8 but can handle the ball, pass, and shoot.

Another comoarable could be Scottie Pippen.

A point forward type of player.

Tatum plays the point for Chmainade & his summer teams. The plan is to keep him at the pg spot. He's not going to be a forward or any type of post player.

LBJ comparisons may be getting a little out of hand. Shaun Livingston, at least that type of player would be more apt. If he gets a lot bigger maybe Lamar Odom when he was at RI. At this time he's probably a top 25 player in his class, maybe top 15. He's not the second coming, at least not yet.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="thetorch" data-cid="338809" data-time="1359614781"><p>

Tatum plays the point for Chmainade & his summer teams. The plan is to keep him at the pg spot. He's not going to be a forward or any type of post player.<br />

<br />

LBJ comparisons may be getting a little out of hand. Shaun Livingston, at least that type of player would be more apt. If he gets a lot bigger maybe Lamar Odom when he was at RI. At this time he's probably a top 25 player in his class, maybe top 15. He's not the second coming, at least not yet.</p></blockquote>

Top 15-25 would be the second coming for SLU

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="thetorch" data-cid="338809" data-time="1359614781"><p>

Tatum plays the point for Chmainade & his summer teams. The plan is to keep him at the pg spot. He's not going to be a forward or any type of post player.<br />

<br />

LBJ comparisons may be getting a little out of hand. Shaun Livingston, at least that type of player would be more apt. If he gets a lot bigger maybe Lamar Odom when he was at RI. At this time he's probably a top 25 player in his class, maybe top 15. He's not the second coming, at least not yet.</p></blockquote>

Top 15-25 would be the second coming for SLU

Does he have a little brother that needs a heart transplant? We're totally in if that's the case.

Does he have a little brother that needs a heart transplant? We're totally in if that's the case.

Obviously, this was a big factor in Larry choosing SLU. However, I think Larry's story should be a huge recruiting tool for SLU. He was a star and was a lottery pick despite not having more "expose" being with a big time BCS program. The lesson is that if you are a good enough player, it doesn't matter what school you go to, you will still be recognized and make it to the NBA if you are talented and put the work in. In fact, you may get more exposure at a school like SLU because you will be THE star on the team rather than one of many at a "big time" school and you will be THE star in a large media market in St. Louis.

These are the stories that remind me how much of a pain in the *donkey* recruiting is at SLU.

Florida comes in and grabs whoever they want. So does Boone County Correctional Center and Illinois.

That should be the first order of business for a new coach: keeping St. Louis to themselves.

Who of significance from St. Louis has Missouri recruited recently? I can't think of anyone since Matt Lawrence, and it's not like he was a big-time star.

I'm all for SLU's keeping top-notch local players, but not "keeping St. Louis" if it means filling the team with middle-tier players.

Rosburg is a freshman on Mizzou, but Majerus didn't even offer him.

My understanding is that we did not offer him because he said he had no interest what so ever in us.

Obviously, this was a big factor in Larry choosing SLU. However, I think Larry's story should be a huge recruiting tool for SLU. He was a star and was a lottery pick despite not having more "expose" being with a big time BCS program. The lesson is that if you are a good enough player, it doesn't matter what school you go to, you will still be recognized and make it to the NBA if you are talented and put the work in. In fact, you may get more exposure at a school like SLU because you will be THE star on the team rather than one of many at a "big time" school and you will be THE star in a large media market in St. Louis.

Yeah that's a good point, but the allure of Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, Duke will always reign supreme to the big time recruits. The path to success is turning our program into a Butler, Marquette, etc., not handing out heart transplants and saying 'hey, you could still get drafted #8 overall if you come here...' BFD. If you're good, you're good and the NBA will draft you no matter what program you're in.

Time to get a HC who can cut off the Gator pipeline. Why's he so successful here, anyways. It's not like he's from St. Louis. Must be those FL coeds.

They must get the Jesus Shuttlesworth treatment down there. "Meet Buffy and Susie."

Considering the high school in question, more like, "meet bobby and sam."

These are the stories that remind me how much of a pain in the *donkey* recruiting is at SLU.

Florida comes in and grabs whoever they want. So does Boone County Correctional Center and Illinois.

That should be the first order of business for a new coach: keeping St. Louis to themselves.

Who of significance from St. Louis has Missouri recruited recently? I can't think of anyone since Matt Lawrence, and it's not like he was a big-time star.

I'm all for SLU's keeping top-notch local players, but not "keeping St. Louis" if it means filling the team with middle-tier players.

Rosburg is a freshman on Mizzou, but Majerus didn't even offer him.

My understanding is that we did not offer him because he said he had no interest what so ever in us.

Rosburg's parents both were athletes at Mizzou and his brother plays there. He was only going one place. Good that Rick didn't waste any time on him.