the streets

word on the street is that a junior college player named Antwan Alexander from wabash valley j.c. will visit this week. heard he is athletic, but i don't know much about him.

there's also word that a kid from st. Louis named brian cusworth might be considering a move. he went to j. burroughs and then to one of the ivy league schools (yale or harvard), but he sat out last season. he was about 6-10 and real skinny in high school. the word on the street is he has been working with a personal trainer and that he is 7 feet and about 250 pounds right now. supposedly, he's still deciding on whether he will return to his ivy league school or try to move on. i remember seeing him once in high school and he was really skilled but rather thin. don't know of many people leaving an ivy league school education, if he decides to leave, that would be a nice summer pick up. this could be interesting to watch.

bad boyz for life

Thanks p diddy! Love all of your inside scoops! If anyone can get any info on these guys, it would be great.

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

When I was in Indianapolis for the Who's Next tournament last week, Antwan Alexander's name came up. A couple of kids were commenting on how the kids on the Spiece 16s needed to add weight and another kid remarked that you could say that about 99% of the players that play on 16 AAU teams. The only exception anyone could think of was Antwan Alexander, who was put together even as a high school freshman. I thought he was only a juco freshman now so this may be a 2005 recruiting visit. Supposedly he can jump out of the gym and is a streaky outside shooter with deep range. Only 6'2, though.

looks to have scored in double digits most games, just skimming the news story's looks like he hit a winiing bucket with seconds left in a playoff game...... I kinda wonder how he would fit in, unless Coach thinks he will expnad the lineup and run run run.....Is he 2004 or 2005 recruit.....? As he is a freshman, did he qualify out of high school?? If he is a 2005 recruit Lisch, alexander, Liddel and Abraham might be a nice class, but leaves us a little thin in the frontline.

Cusworth is a legit 7 footer now. He plays for Harvard. He had a good freshman year and was the first man off the bench. He came into last year as the top returning scorer for Harvard. He never played though as a nagging stress fracture in his foot caused him to seek a medical redshirt. He came back to St. Louis in early february.

Ivy league rules restrict an athlete to competing in 8 semseters. Since Cusworth went to school the first semester he has lost a possible semseter in his eligibility. Under Ivy league rules he could get a redshirt until the 06-07 season but would only be allowed to play one semster that year. Ironically if you are a poor student you can qualify to play in a ninth semster but Cusworth does not qualify. This may be the reason he is considering a transfer.

I remember him playing for Burroughs against Lutheran North. He was only 6 feet tall as a frosh but spurted to 6'10 by his senior year. He was not realluy used to playing so much inside and North and had a smaller but stronger inside player who tore him up. He still had some big numbers for Burroughs. He can go inside out a little with a nice 15 foot jumper and can even shoot 3s. He is a very good shot blocker. He could be a nice player for SLU, he was projected as a top Ivy League player going into his soph year. All indications were that he was not leaving Harvard and would play out his career there when he left in Feb. Maybe that has changed though.

if i remember correctly, cusworth considered walking on at slu out of high school.

Anderson graduated from high school two years ago in May '02.

Looks like he was on the roster at Barton CC two years ago with Pulley and Whaley. http://www.barton.cc.ks.us/sports/mbasketb...03/athletes.htm I am unclear as to whether he actually played any games at Barton two season ago.

Although he was listed as a freshman at Wabash Valley College this year, it is possible that he has acquired enough credits during the last two years to attend qualify for a D1 school.

if he attended barton, i am assuming he could qualify academically for grad school at some universities.

>> word on the street is that a junior college player named Antwan Alexander from wabash valley j.c. will visit this week. heard he is athletic, but i don't know much about him. <<

If anyone gets information about this visit, don't be shy about posting.

>If this is true, he should really help us out in athleticism

>department. He's supposed to have Luther Head-level hops.

I read he was 6'2" and a 2 guard. I know some on the board prefer that we bank the scholarship rather than sign someone who shall play more of a supporting role. However, given that Izik struggled at 3 last season and Luke might not be ready for 20 minutes per game at the D1 level, we need to be prepared to play extended periods in a 3 guard set for another season. We also desperately need another scoring threat on the floor besides Reggie. Drejaj's shot is too inconsistent to bank on (no pun intended). If Alexander gives us depth at guard and adds scoring punch, then I think it is a wise get. We are still going to have 4 scholarship available for the next class--the TL banked schollie and 3 held by 2004-2005 seniors (Frericks, Bryant, Ohanan).

Here is my dream for next year: TL verbals early, becomes good friends with a stud PF playing in the east coast prep school league, and brings him along to SLU!!! If TL stays committed to us, he essentially becomes our ambassador out there.

I found the following description of Antwan on an Indiana basketball recruiting site (from June 2000):

6-2 Antwan Alexander/Indianapolis Arlington- "25 feet range and explosiveness unmatched in America!" Iowa leads for Alexander.

The Wabash Valley site list Alexander as a 6-2 freshman for this past 2003-2004 season. Is that correct?

According to the team stats Alexander scored well against the good juco teams. Averaged 11 pts, shot 56%fg, but only 27% from 3, 84% at the free throw line, 85 assists, 59 turnovers. From the team picture he appears to be built like Randy Pulley (strong).

TOP JUNIORS (CLASS OF 2002 )

Rank Name Ht Class Position Hometown State High School Recruiting

1 Sean May 6'8 2002 C Bloomington IN North

2 Chris Hunter 6'9 2002 PF Gary IN West Side

3 Matt Keifer 6'8 2002 PF Evansville IN Mater Dei

4 Antwan Alexander 6'1 2002 2G Indianapolis IN Arlington

5 Delco Rowley 6'7 2002 PF Indianapolis IN Arlington

6 Tyler Best 6'8 2002 PF Lafayette IN Central Catholic

HOOPSCOOP Indiana Prep Report Page 2

Here is where the others in the Class of 2002 in HOOPSCOOP Indiana Prep Report went to College.

TOP JUNIORS (CLASS OF 2002 )

1 Sean May (NORTH CAROLINA)

2 Chris Hunter (MICHIGAN)

3 Matt Keifer (PURDUE)

4 Antwan Alexander (JC)

5 Delco Rowley (MICHIGAN STATE)

6 Tyler Best (EVANSVILLE)

HOOPSCOOP Indiana Prep Report Page 2

sounds like we're going to have more JUCO's than Cincy, Louisville and Memphis combined.

Going to be pretty heavy at guard too so I'd imagine we should be ready for a lot of 3 guard sets. Polk, Drejaj splitting time at the 1, Reggie at the 2, Meyer, Alexander and Clarke at the other spot.

Frericks Chipola

Vas'shun Newborne Chipola

possible Antwan Alexander WVC

Memphis currently has

Burks

Cincinatti Has/Had

Bobbit Sr S. Idaho

Johnson Sr. Chipola

Whaley Barton CC

Williams Chipola

has signed

Jihad Muhammed from San Jacinto JC, TX

How Popular is a Kid Named Jihad Muhammed gonna' be in the US right now? I heard he can explode right by the defenders. He will sacrifice himself to take out the opponent.

Marquette Has

Jackson from South Plains JC

not sure if they signed any so far. They probably could have used one last season to avoid the topple they had.

OK so possibly 3 JUCOs for SLU. Not too bad I think especially when Frericks turned out so well as did Kenny Brown. It is not like we are picking up Robert Whaleys. I do notice that Chipola seems to be turning out some players so hopefully Newborne will be big as well.