New Coach and Biondi's Rep

cheeseman

You raise an interesting point - I will pay attention to who I see at games. To your question - why would Biondi stand in the way? -he will not want to give up control of the day to day things in any program at SLU. Let me ask you this - why would he take the charter flights away when the budget had already been approved and the money allocated? - same thing - if he did it once he will want to do it or something like it again.

By the way - when Spoon came he called Grawer and asked how Biondi was - Grawer was very generous and said he was fine but when Spoon got here he found otherwise so while other schools may have their own problems the real question is since ours is a known issue locally and nationally we better figure out how to dehorn Biondi somehow or we will be working with a thin pool.

Hey look! The sky is falling!!

In other news, I broke out my billiken hoodie for a bonfire.... it felt glorious and got me pumped for our upcoming successful season. Good things to come. :) Cant wait. #optimism

That would be a lovely addition to the mythology of the Macchiavellian Father B., but it's an utter fabrication. The room now known as the St. Louis Room in Busch Center was formerly known as the Sesquicentennial Room. Built in 1967. Named as part of the subsequent celebration of the university's sesquiscentennial. The reader is left to find a dictionary and then do the math.

Now that you mention it, I remember receiving "1818" credits from SLU for classes taken at DeSmet in 70's. Oh but I wanted to know Biondi could alter time or, at least, our perception of it.

Now that you mention it, I remember receiving "1818" credits from SLU for classes taken at DeSmet in 70's. Oh but I wanted to know Biondi could alter time or, at least, our perception of it.

Fun facts about the "1-8-1-8" program, as it was formerly formally known.

Where do the names "1-8-1-8 Program" and "1818 Advanced College Credit Program" come from?

The 1818 Advanced College Credit Program originated as a joint project with Saint Louis University High School and Xavier High School in 1959 as a way to target bright elementary school students who could skip one year of grade school and move onto high school one year early. This would allow them to graduate 1 year early from the first 8 years of school, and move onto high school one year ahead of schedule. They could then accumulate college credits through the Advanced College Credit Program and graduate from college 1 year early (the second 8 years of school) -- 1-8-1-8. Our program no longer participates in the elementary school program, but has retained the "1818" in its title, since Saint Louis University was founded in 1818.

You raise an interesting point - I will pay attention to who I see at games. To your question - why would Biondi stand in the way? -he will not want to give up control of the day to day things in any program at SLU. Let me ask you this - why would he take the charter flights away when the budget had already been approved and the money allocated? - same thing - if he did it once he will want to do it or something like it again.

By the way - when Spoon came he called Grawer and asked how Biondi was - Grawer was very generous and said he was fine but when Spoon got here he found otherwise so while other schools may have their own problems the real question is since ours is a known issue locally and nationally we better figure out how to dehorn Biondi somehow or we will be working with a thin pool.

C'mon Cheeseman, Can we stow the horseshiite? We've had good coaches and bad coaches under Biondi. The biggest detriment from Biondi was rumoured to be funding which is less of an issue with the good sugar-doctor chipping in . If we don't land a big name coach it will not be because Biondi is a horse's a$$.

A great team coming off a tourney run with great facilities in a pretty damn good conference should be enough to get a good to great coach even with Biondi's wont to meddle.

We all need to lighten the hell up......

Denial of a situation or problem is one way to deal with it but another is to be informed and prepared just in case. Nowhere have I ever said that the situation was hopeless just that there is a problem and it needs to be effectively dealt with. In fact in my first post I even provided a strategy for perhaps overcoming the problem. I can also tell you that recently I was visiting with some boosters who put up a fair amount of money and they were not very happy with all that is going on at SLU. In fact, the impression I got was that they had had enough and were feeling a bit down with the whole situation at SLU. One should not forget that our alums/boosters are also law school graduates and bio engineering grads and so on and so on. My point simply is that the Biondi matter is impacting many on multiple levels not just basketball fans.

Many schools and ADs are ran by a$$es. Think about it, a$$es are in charge of everything. I'm not sure Biondi is one. He was great to me personally. We can get a good coach. My vote is Drew Diener straight outta' Fondulac WI!

Fr. Biondi sj. if you are reading this I am willing to work part time as a professor in the MS Biosecurity & Disaster Preparedness Program. Hit me up via this site for my resume.

Holla Back!

I don't think Fr. B is an illogical man. He didn't build an $80mm arena in the worst economic environment this country's been in since the 30's to see it half empty for its main attraction. That said, does he truly get the lay of college athletics today? Only those who are really close to him can answer this question. Granted some of the stuff he pulled w/ RM, ie the charter flights, not springing enough for AC's, and cutting him off from overseas travel, seems to indicate he doesn't get it fully. Our best hope here is that J. Crew(es) proves to be a very good choice for HC. Failing that, that the heavy weights do a little arm twisting on the good Father and convince him he can't replace RM with a lightweight.

I don't think Fr. B is an illogical man. He didn't build an $80mm arena in the worst economic environment this country's been in since the 30's to see it half empty for its main attraction. That said, does he truly get the lay of college athletics today? Only those who are really close to him can answer this question. Granted some of the stuff he pulled w/ RM, ie the charter flights, not springing enough for AC's, and cutting him off from overseas travel, seems to indicate he doesn't get it fully. Our best hope here is that J. Crew(es) proves to be a very good choice for HC. Failing that, that the heavy weights do a little arm twisting on the good Father and convince him he can't replace RM with a lightweight.

-you assume that the 15 to 20 dates per year of men's bball are the main attraction of the arena to FrB, not saying it is but in his mind could it be graduation? that would fail the logic test most would apply to it

Denial of a situation or problem is one way to deal with it but another is to be informed and prepared just in case. Nowhere have I ever said that the situation was hopeless just that there is a problem and it needs to be effectively dealt with. In fact in my first post I even provided a strategy for perhaps overcoming the problem. I can also tell you that recently I was visiting with some boosters who put up a fair amount of money and they were not very happy with all that is going on at SLU. In fact, the impression I got was that they had had enough and were feeling a bit down with the whole situation at SLU. One should not forget that our alums/boosters are also law school graduates and bio engineering grads and so on and so on. My point simply is that the Biondi matter is impacting many on multiple levels not just basketball fans.

The only thing is, Cheeseman, what in the heck are we going to do about it? We are just along for the ride. I doubt Larry is going to consult with me or anyone else on Billikens.com on the hiring of a new coach, so why does being informed do me any good? And what am I preparing for? Even the big boosters are essentially powerless as long as the good Father feels like it's his way or the highway

Many schools and ADs are ran by a$$es. Think about it, a$$es are in charge of everything. I'm not sure Biondi is one. He was great to me personally. We can get a good coach. My vote is Drew Diener straight outta' Fondulac WI!

Fr. Biondi sj. if you are reading this I am willing to work part time as a professor in the MS Biosecurity & Disaster Preparedness Program. Hit me up via this site for my resume.

Holla Back!

i hope this works

Yes I am. That's how I know. Somebodies gotta' be the a$$h*#@. Some are just worse than others.

Bring in Double D! Dude has produced a winner in a short time at some school of which I can't recall the name. Big East & ACC experience and I think he's in good health.

TheA_Bomb, on 01 October 2012 - 12:48 PM, said:

Many schools and ADs are ran by a$$es. Think about it, a$$es are in charge of everything.

Are you not in charge of something?

The only thing is, Cheeseman, what in the heck are we going to do about it? We are just along for the ride. I doubt Larry is going to consult with me or anyone else on Billikens.com on the hiring of a new coach, so why does being informed do me any good? And what am I preparing for? Even the big boosters are essentially powerless as long as the good Father feels like it's his way or the highway

OK - using your logic, why bother to tell you about a player being hurt you can not do anything about it. I don't expect you or many on this board to do anything about - my post was simply information - you and anybody else can do whatever you want with it.

OK - using your logic, why bother to tell you about a player being hurt you can not do anything about it. I don't expect you or many on this board to do anything about - my post was simply information - you and anybody else can do whatever you want with it.

A player being hurt is a verifiable fact that we all can see a cast on his foot at the next game. Repetitive speculation from secondary sources as to our school and program sucking is not the same thing.

A player being hurt is a verifiable fact that we all can see a cast on his foot at the next game. Repetitive speculation from secondary sources as to our school and program sucking is not the same thing.

You still can not do anything about the hurt leg so why be told about it. Look - I said when I posted the info that anybody can do what they want with it - I am not sure why you are arguing with me about it - you don't like the post then ignore it. By some of the responses some showed some interest in the info - you did not so no skin off my nose.