Soccer game tonight vs Louisville

slufanskip

Should be a good game. Louisville is ranked between 14 and 18 where I've seen them.

Also noticed the A10 has 2 top 25 ranked teams and Dayton just outside it. If we can get a win tonight we could start getting some love. Imo we need Kristo on the field for 90 minutes.

Lastly, nothing to do with the Bills, but I hate to see Pia resign from the US women. I appreciate the changes she's ushered in and what she's done for the team as a whole. I have nothing but great respect for her and hope she gets the job with her native Swedish team that she wants

Have to get either a tie or a win tonight in my opinion. The A10 is pretty good this year which is good and bad. Good because it'll be more quality opponents and could boost RPI or whatever the use but bad because it'll be harder to get the automatic berth for the tournament. We're at Dayton and Xavier and also at Creighton so those games against good teams will be tougher to win. Between tonight and at home against Charlotte I think we need at least a win and a draw.

I thought I saw in the paper earlier this year that SLU has never missed the tournament 3 years in a row. I like what I've seen so far and I really think this team could make a run once McGinty gets a set rotation down.

I like the 4 in the back who usually play. (Heskamp, David, Manning, Roeckle). The midfield also seems pretty set now that Maglasang is back in the rotation (believe he was nursing a hip injury early in the year). Robson, Maglasang, Graydon, and maybe Karl or Sweetin or Hidalgo? Then I like Kristo and Bryce up top but nothing wrong with Adnan or Sweetin up there either. Agree that Kristo needs to play 90 minutes a game.

Good win, but as I said on Sunday, probably not a signature win for the Billikens. The Louisville team that came to play tonight is probably not a Top 25 team. But it is further proof that McGinty has this program headed in the right direction.

The lineup was similar to Saturday with the addition of Brangman. Kristo was in for the first half and was part of some of the best offensive sequences we have seen in a few years. Sweetin played for much of the game and looks in full form. Adnan would come on and get the goal. Maglasang and Hidalgo played as well.

The head official was obsessed with the possibility that the Bills were wasting time and even issued yellow cards to Roeckle and Bryce over the matter, but at that point I think they were just f___ing with the official.

Congrats, Bills. This program should be a priority for our university. Falling behind the A10 is unacceptable. There's too much talent and interest in the area for a mediocre program. Tonight, was an encouraging step in the right direction.

I'd love SLU to be a MBB, MSOC, VB powerhouse. It's not too much to expect from our university.

Can someone confirm the attendance on the box score? 432 people seems like a rather small crowed considering the opponent. Granted I am not in St. Louis right now so I can't attest to the weather, but I recall most of the games I attended last year were much bigger. With the smaller games being the smaller (non-rivals) conference games.

Congrats, Bills. This program should be a priority for our university. Falling behind the A10 is unacceptable. There's too much talent and interest in the area for a mediocre program. Tonight, was an encouraging step in the right direction.

I'd love SLU to be a MBB, MSOC, VB powerhouse. It's not too much to expect from our university.

Don't Forget Baseball 41 wins last year

SLU - 1

Louisville - 0

I agree that the significance of this win may diminish as I doubt Louisville will end the year ranked. SLU completely dominated the game nearly doubling L'Ville in shots and probably winning the possession battle 65-35.

SLU started Heskamp, David, Manning and Roeckle across the back. Brangman, Graydon, Robson, and Sweet in the middle. Kristo and Bryce up front.

I would assume Lee is still injured or he would have started in place of Brangman. Adnon may have been one of the few players in the country that could have turned that play into a goal. He received a pass about 20 yards in before the half way line on the right side of the field. He turned and had 2 defenders in front of him probably 20 yards away. You could hear McGinty yelling to him to take them on. He literally just pushed the ball through and muscled his way by them with one of them leaning all over him trying to knock him off the ball. His strength and speed allowed him to stay strong on the ball he raced just inside the penalty area maybe 10 yards to the right of goal and hit a smash just inside the far post. Just a great goal only made possible by effort, strength, and speed.

I've seen the Indiana, Drake, and now the Louisville game over the last few days and really like what I am seeing. I'll add more regarding my thoughts on individual players later.

Like others I was disapointed in the crowd vs a ranked opponent. The last few years have allowed a little apathy to sneak in. I believe we'll see that change as this season progresses and over the next few years. Get on the McGinty bandwagon now

I'll add a couple more thoughts and a little more about individual players for those who are interested.

I like the 4 defenders. Heskamp has some freshman moments but recovers extremely well in my opinion. Also, pretty decent attacking with the ball. David, the freshman from Minnesota, had looked really good on the season. Not as good last night but still solid at centerback. Plays big. Manning got cut in the eye and Briggs had to come in for a bit. Manning eventually came back in. Played pretty well. Maybe doesn't have natural instinct but is a good player. He sometimes gets too caught up in where he is on the field and doesn't keep his defender close enough or doesn't beat him to the ball. Roeckle sent in some outstanding crosses from the back. He is extremely solid in the back.

Midfield was good last night. Robson defended well and held the ball pretty well too. Graydon has a very good first touch. Looks like hes trying to play stronger but gets outmuscled at times. He's only a 5'5 freshman so that will change eventually. Making a lot more short passes lately. In the preseason games, he was putting on great medium and long passes, but some of the guys didn't seem to be on the same page as him. Thought Sweetin played a lot better than he had. He's just rounding back up into form. Sent in some good crosses to Kristo in the first half. Brangman was fine. Had some bad mistakes but also is very quick and beat his man a couple times. Agree that Lee could have started if healthy but I like Maglasang out there too. Maglasang came on in the 2nd half. Didn't do a ton because he was asked to defend a lot more after we took the lead.

Kristo didn't have a particularly good game. His teammates gave him a lot of chances but he just couldn't convert. It happens to a forward and I still like him out there for 90 minutes a game. Kingsley was fine. Can't really remember a whole lot from him. Made some good passes to Adnan but McGinty was constantly telling Kingsley where to be on the field. Adnan's goal was an incredible effort. He made it look effortless beating everyone on the way to the goal.

Wish there would have been more people but attendance should rise as the team continues to play well. Louisville isn't as good as usual but I still think that we can get to the tournament this year with another quality win or 2. The A10 actually looks like it has chances for really good wins this year.

A couple other random thoughts.

Who is the older fan that is constantly yelling at the players and the refs? I can't remember him being happy about anything in the last 4 games.

The head ref was terrible last night. He is supposed to be the one with the level head but he seemed to lose control of the game and himself at points. There was one point where he was too busy yelling at a Louisville player and he missed a clear foul on Louisville where both teams actually stopped play waiting for a call but nothing the ref missed it.

I really like our uniforms. Anyone else a fan?

Posted Image

I find it interesting that Rutgers is 19th, Good for Danny! The second thing I find interesting is this board for the most part destroyed Dan during his tenure and now the team is worse off but it seems most have given the new coach a pass. Instead of talking about dominating the A10 or being top 20 we have shifted to a lot of hoping. Be careful what you wish for!

I'll admit that I am pretty naive when it comes to SLU soccer. I went to two games last year but haven't yet been to any this season. I'm excited for the squad and it sounds like Mcginty is starting to turn things around a little bit.

For a less knowledgeable like myself, which freshman or freshmen do you think have the most potential? Any possible stars among the bunch?

I find it interesting that Rutgers is 19th, Good for Danny! The second thing I find interesting is this board for the most part destroyed Dan during his tenure and now the team is worse off but it seems most have given the new coach a pass. Instead of talking about dominating the A10 or being top 20 we have shifted to a lot of hoping. Be careful what you wish for!

big difference in situations. DD took a perrenial top 10 team and turned it into much less. McGinty started pretty bare and has been building towards a winner.