Soccer game tonight vs Louisville

slufanskip

[...] The second thing I find interesting is this board for the most part destroyed Dan during his tenure and now the team is worse off but it seems most have given the new coach a pass. Instead of talking about dominating the A10 or being top 20 we have shifted to a lot of hoping. Be careful what you wish for!

Rutgers lost to SIU-Edwardsville and No. 2 Creighton over the weekend. We will see where the team is at the end of the season. The same is true for SLU. But the Bills are so much better than they were two seasons ago and are worth watching again. Join us!

I find it interesting that Rutgers is 19th, Good for Danny! The second thing I find interesting is this board for the most part destroyed Dan during his tenure and now the team is worse off but it seems most have given the new coach a pass. Instead of talking about dominating the A10 or being top 20 we have shifted to a lot of hoping. Be careful what you wish for!

Courtside?

I really like our uniforms. Anyone else a fan?

Posted Image

I feel like the new kits are a combination of so many classic kits, but for some reason it works. My only complaint is we need an 11th star next to SLU. Our soccer program is easily one of the greatest in NCAA history and theirs really no excuse for us to not compete over the next few years. The team seems to be getting stronger every year for the past few years now.

Glad to see we have a new soccer fan who actually GOESANDSEESTHEKIDSPLAY in SLUfan13

Just thought I'd take some time and add some thoughts on some of the players for those that can't see them play.

I'll start with Frosh on this post. If I leave someone off, it just means I haven't seen them play enough to have a real opinion. Keep in mind the frosh are of course young. Just the fact they are starting or playing decent minutes on a team with SLU's talent says a lot.

The 2 defenders

Tyler David - Good size (6' maybe 175?) and quick feet. My first impressions are he's more of an offensive defender than your old school big tough defender. He plays the ball well out of the back though has been a bit indicisive at times. Seems to be very comfortable with the ball at his feet and seems to have good instincts. There have been a few communication issues that have led to good chances, but this early, that doesn't surprise me. Of all the frosh, I like him the most.

Marco Heskamp - like Tyler more offensive. From GE. Quick, and pretty skilled with the ball. As he gets more experienced, he will cause some problems with runs down the wing. Defensivey, he's been getting beat a little too often, down the wing, cutting back, and on the end line at different time. He will have to get better and I believe he will as I think his problems are technical. He's too quick and fast to just get beat off the dribble. I believe he'll get better with experience.

David Graydon - small, quick, center mid from Ireland. I agree with most that he's going to be good, however, I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe he's going to be this amazing playmaker. What I've liked most about him is his willingness to mix it up and win the ball or be disruptive and his willingness, though not often successful yet, to take defenders on. He seems to play with a lot of confidence. Think the older Sweetin with ball skills.

Jair Minors - small, fast forward from Bermuda. He has the chance to be very dangerous, but has to learn and I'm sure he will, that you can't take moments off. Think Will John. As he gets experience, I believe he'll be more of an outside mid than a forward, but he could be very dangerous against a team that isn't fast down the middle.

Dante Brangman - Another small outside mid from Bermuda. Athletic, feisty and fast. Will be more dangerous as he gets a better first touch. He seemed to have problems settling the ball and spent a lot of time scrambing after it. Remember, just a freshman.

Khalil Karl a 6'0 athletic defensive mid from Texas. Came in for a while against Drake. Didn't stand out, but didn't seem to make mistakes either.

Thanks for the thoughts. I agree with most but haven't seen David enough to make a call on him yet. Regarding Graydon, I think we have seen glimpses of what he may do as he plays more. Things that have stood out to me is his touch and control, confidence to demand the ball, and his ability to quickly change direction and keep his head up. One pass that stands out from the Indy game I believe was a 30 yard left footed bullet he sent across field to one of SLU's wingers. It reminded me of how Ream would do that every now and then.

I think Minors is a bit of Kyle Patterson clone but shorter. He seems to be relatively well-built, Charlie Davies-esque. I think the comparison to Will John is off though. Will was very tight on the ball and had various shifty moves that would help him get out of trouble, especially the physical kind that his thin frame could not handle well. I haven't seen Minors do anything much like John but I could have missed a game where he showed more.

Really Kyle Patterson?

With the Will John comparison, I was more just giving a quick assessment as in someone who relies on their speed and who you want to get free out in space. I thought he had a pretty slight build. I really only saw him in parts of one game though.

What I really like is how deep we are up top. We have to start doing a better job of finishing, but we have as much raw talent up top (and young) as I can remember. I was thinking before the season that next year would be the break through year as we're still playing mostly fresh and sophs, but I'm really beginning to get excited about this year. A few breaks in the Indiana game and we could be undefeated with 2 top 20 wins or a win and a tie. And the Louisville game easily could have been a 2 or 3 goal win without Raymond Lee.

Anyone know anything on Lee

Dont know where else to put this- didnt want to start another thread - anyone know where tim ream is? im watching the US/JAM game. Did he fall out of favor with jurgen??

Also, so we dont get totally off track - Ive only been to the IU game but nonetheless, I really like how they played and i like where the team is headed.