RM on Costas Tonight

ARon

Bob Costas was the TV guy for some of the SLU games back in the early Grawer years. I think he was before that as well but it was pretty odd experience walking into a younger Bob Costas getting makeup put on as a student before a game.

I remember when he did St. Louis Spirits games in the ABA in the 70's. I've heard him tell a few funny Moving Marvin Barnes stories. Was Costas doing SLU games at the same time he did the Spirits?

I remember when he did St. Louis Spirits games in the ABA in the 70's. I've heard him tell a few funny Moving Marvin Barnes stories. Was Costas doing SLU games at the same time he did the Spirits?

I don't recall Costas doing the Bills games either, but, I had no TV either. On radio with the Spirits, I think their first game, he used a description of a guard's move, "he shakes and bakes...". Clever at the time.

According to Wikipedia he did Mizzou games, but no SLU games.

I am 100% sure he did one game but in retrospect he probably did not do them regularly (or it could have been a one-time thing then). I am sure because I worked for the team and he was getting make-up put on in the same room where we put our coats away (we wore "Grawer Power" jackets that year I believe, I still have a "Grawer Power" pin). Costas was becoming famous at that time and all my co-workers grew up Spirits fans--it is something you remember. The game I remember was non-conf, probably early December, nearly positive it was 83-84 season so it was probably Bradley game (I think that Bradley team had a "Battle" on it). I just looked at the Media Guide closer and they also played Kansas in early December that year as well (Calipari and Larry Brown!); but I cannot remember which game other than it was relatively early in the season.

Calipari? That would have been Umass, right? I remember us playing them as a part of some made-for-TV doubleheader where we lost. I also remember losing to Larry Brown and Kansas at Kiel. That was the year we had seven-footers Andre Craig and Abdur Rahim Al-Mateen? I remember pleading/screaming at Grawer to "play the twin towers" at the same time. Believe we lost that one close too.

Costas might have been doing TV as part of an NBC coverage national team. I go back to 1975 and Costas did not do our game-by-game work. We were even less relevant on TV locally back then than we are now.

I also remember a game at Kiel against Tulane where St. Louis got like three inches of snow overnight and the game was on local Tv and the guys there blamed the small crowd on hand due to "a massive St.Louis snowstorm" overnight. Bull ---it had all melted by tip time. That might have been NBC and Costas.

Bob Costas was the play by play announcer on KMOX Radio for SLU's home game vs. Mizzou at The Checkerdome (Arena) in Ekker's 2nd year at SLU. I still remember Costas citing the great coaching job turned in by Ron Ekker. SLU was winning that game and probably would have won had not Kelvin Henderson fouled out. Final: MU 77 SLU 75 in OT.

Costas was also the play by play announcer on TV for a SLU home game at Kiel Auditorium vs. Bradley during Rich Grawer's 2nd year. Final: Bradley 58 SLU 57.

Costas was also the play by play announcer on TV for a SLU home game at Kiel Auditorium vs. Bradley during Rich Grawer's 2nd year. Final: Bradley 58 SLU 57.

This must be the game I remember (looking back at the schedule I thought it was probably Bradley).

Also, Calipari was the assistant at Kansas back when SLU played Kansas in 83-84.

Perhaps this quote from 1983 might explain why he wasn't doing too many SLU games:

QUOTEBOOK: Sportscaster Bob Costas on St. Louis University: ''Waiting for the Billikens to have a winning season is like leaving a porch light on for Jimmy Hoffa.'

Surprise.

Woolard succeeds Debbie Yow, who became Maryland's athletic director in late August.

"I have stressed our need to have students who happen to be athletes as opposed to athletes who happened to be students, " Biondi said. "Doug Woolard seems to be a man who agrees with that."

Biondi thanked the search committee, co-chaired by Bob Costas and Kathy Hagedorn, for its "professional job." The committee sifted through and made contact with more than 50 applicants, brought in nine for preliminary interviews and recommended Woolard as its most-favored choice.

I'm surprised he had the time to do so considering most of his time was spent carrying ol dead air Jack Buck.

Beg to differ. Jack and Harry were an awesome combination. Jack was the straight man (Stan Laurel) to Harry's Oliver Hardy. The straight man is always underrated in these duos. Or perhaps your comment was sarcasm.

I also think Jack Buck and Buddy Blatner did games, and I know Jacobber did.

Harry Carey did the games for many years from the late 1940's through the 1950's and possibly beyond. I've mentioned this before, but I can remember listening the Harry do the away games without being there. He would read the ticker tape and use crowd recordings as background. He still made it exciting to listen to.

In addition to Jack Buck, Joe Garagiola, added color for a period. I don't remember if it was for more than one season.

Harry Carey did the games for many years from the late 1940's through the 1950's and possibly beyond. I've mentioned this before, but I can remember listening the Harry do the away games without being there. He would read the ticker tape and use crowd recordings as background. He still made it exciting to listen to.

In addition to Jack Buck, Joe Garagiola, added color for a period. I don't remember if it was for more than one season.

Harry was the voice of the Cards through the 1969 season.