Does anyone listen to AM1380?

bonwich

Fake names on credit cards...no public pictures...I had no idea that you were a secret agent man. Did you use voice disguising software to sound younger?

Finally, Joe drops a SLU reference, albeit a hockey reference.

Good interview. I enjoyed it.

No pun intended. That was a fun segment, up until the hosts attempted to turn it into an extended commercial for Tony Twist's bar. Apparently Twister is such a great cook, I may have to cancel my reservation at Trattoria Marcella tonight so that I can head out to Imperial.

I'm assuming that was your bicep pictured in the "Backyard Beefcake" piece this past weekend?

For the record, I think that Fitz's in the Delmar Loop is very underrated, as far as burgers are concerned.

I agree with you on O'Connell's. It's definitely my favorite burger in town.

Sundecker's on Laclede's Landing is another underrated burger joint. I've always thought Blueberry Hill to be way overrated in the burger department. Fun place to eat though.

I love the burgers at O'Connell's. I thought Blueberry Hill's burgers were good, but not spectacular like many people say. Their Buffalo fries are delicious though.

One place that I think has burgers as good as anywhere in St. Louis but never makes any lists (maybe because it is a private club) is the Missouri Athletic Club.

A good burger begins and ends at Carl's Drive In. There isn't any other food in the world quite as enjoyable is a good burger held together by fat, butter, and grease. O'Connell's burger is the most overrated burger in town IMHO.

I read Joe's 5 best burger's column AFTER I posted my Carl's Drive-In endorsement. We identified three of the five best burgers on this board.

I will also happily endorse the Dooley's Burger. I work less than two blocks from Dooley's, so I manage to grab one of their burgers several times a month. I like the swiss cheese, but most of my colleagues prefer one of the cheese scoops.

Another opinion

I have to nominate Seamus McDanial's hamburger in the top burger category. Schasz may point out that I am a Dogtowner and probably biased, but that is ok, I still think they have a great hamburger.

From Jon Bonwich's list: can't argue with Carl's, Dooley's, or White Castle, great burgers; never tried Red Robin's, but it sounds like I need to make a special trip to W. County; O'Connell's - I know I will be tagged as anti-St. Louis, but I think O'Connell's is overrated.

Just my thoughts.

The best hamburger on the East Side was Wainwrights on the edge of Belleville. At times, particularly on Saturdays when the joint was packed, the old owner would actually lock the front and side doors and would only let someone in, if someone left. People would be waiting outside for a door to be unlocked. The absolute truth! A second problem was if the owner had a real good night at Fairmont Park he didn't open the next day! Great hamburger, no plates, they came in wrapped in waxed paper.

Wally's in Breese has incredible burgers. My sons still drive 30 miles+ to eat at Wally's once in awhile (the cheap prices don't hurt either). What could be better than a Wally's burger and a Ski???

davidlee,

Of course, we both know the owners of Seamus, so you will get no argument from me on their burger. So Red Robin has infiltrated to the Midwest...they are a Pacific NW chain that we used to visit during my wet years in Seattle. They did have a darn good burger...there was always a wait to get into that restaurant and they had several locations. I was happy when we moved here to the Tampa Bay area as it meant, Steak N Shake hamburgers...actually like their fries a lot until recently, as they are not on my weight loss program. Good news on that front as I am now saying bye bye to Extra large shirts...bought my 1st Large shirts last week.