Open Letter to Students

the real embarrment from the student section last night was second half free throws for richmond. i could have made free throws with that back drop provided by the students. terrible.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of things ....

#1) Great job 05. It had to be said.

#2) However, this is likely the wrong forum. Send it to the Unews and get a group to copy it and paste it in every dorm and building on campus.

#3) Question: a multi-part one at that: how many kids live on campus? How many go to the school now? Any guess as to the number/percenatge local to midtown in term sof being near Chaifetz if not actually on campus itself? Not that this sways the argument one way or the other. I just recall being in school when the overwhelming majority of kids went home at night (commuters) never to return no matter the event. Come in on a weekend? Fahgitdaboutit. The neverending story.

Coming on here is like preaching to the choir. Throw out the trolls and I seriously doubt anyone else left would disagree with your message. In the same way though, it also won't make it to the folks that need the religion.

Way to go 05, but you're preaching to the choir on this forum. Send this to the SLU newspaper. A sports reporter for the SLU news should get permission to do a front page article criticizing the kids for not going. When I was at SLU a lot of the kids commuted. I understand that's not the case today. The commuters said I'm going home. But supposedly we've got a larger on campus population these days. Cripes, don't any of these kids watch Duke, UNC, KY games and see what a ball it is to raise the roof for your team. Unreal.

Partly Cloudy skies and a high of 48 predicted for Saturday and Mardi Gras...you'd think folks could go to the parade 1st (thats what I plan on doing) and make it over for a 3 pm game...but we know that won't happen. Lots of fair-weather SLU fans (not just students).

I would have killed to have an on campus arena and not deal with the pain in the ass of getting to the Kiel. I would have also killed to have not sat through the Soderberg years where our best hope was to maybe knock off whatever ranked team was coming in that night. Its a shame that the students don't appreciate it.

I used to meet a yellow school bus in front of Coronado that would take me to the empty savvis to watch Anthony Drejaj. I would have given my right arm to have an on campus arena and tournament bound team to cheer for while I was still a student. And the tickets are free, wow.

Even if it was sent to the UNews last night, the paper was already put to bed for press...goes out at Noon today... But you could send people to each UNews distribution point on campus and insert said letter when the papers get dropped off. Just a thought. Like where your head is at, 05.

Whether it's ignorance or apathy, most SLU students choose to not know or care.

-i asked a question that we will never know the answer to but she had thoughts and passion

You've asked this question numerous times. It's useless to dwell on what ifs like that. Nothing personal at all I like her as a person but she was never going to get hired and she didn't do that great of a job when she was president.

You've asked this question numerous times. It's useless to dwell on what ifs like that. Nothing personal at all I like her as a person but she was never going to get hired and she didn't do that great of a job when she was president.

-and we have had posts about attendance, esp by students for years as well

-i wasn't a student when she was around so don't know what she did from that perspective, but from my recollection she came on here looking for ideas

-but you missed my second question of how is the problem solved?

Partly Cloudy skies and a high of 48 predicted for Saturday and Mardi Gras...you'd think folks could go to the parade 1st (thats what I plan on doing) and make it over for a 3 pm game...but we know that won't happen. Lots of fair-weather SLU fans (not just students).

Not sure where people are getting the idea that kids don't show up for the Mardi Gras game.

I didn't make last years game, but during my 4 years as an undergrad those were always the rowdiest games.

-and we have had posts about attendance, esp by students for years as well

-i wasn't a student when she was around so don't know what she did from that perspective, but from my recollection she came on here looking for ideas

-but you missed my second question of how is the problem solved?

I don't think it's a problem anyone can "solve". It's going to take time, winning and a change of culture and it's got to start at the top with Biondi.

Not sure where people are getting the idea that kids don't show up for the Mardi Gras game.

I didn't make last years game, but during my 4 years as an undergrad those were always the rowdiest games.

Yeah, those games have always been raucous. Having Dayton as the opponent certainly helped. Fordham doesn't generate that kind of excitement.

That's one of the problems with the A10 - most of the schools in the conference don't register on most St. Louisans' radar screens. And that's not a knock on the LaSalles of the world - I'm sure they're fine schools (Bonawelding notwithstanding) - but the casual fan and probably even most students don't give two sh-ts about playing them.

Those games werent against Fordham. The fact that the majority of them were against UD and X has a lot do with it

MONEY!

05, can you consult with SGA about making an appeal for more funding? It's been 8 years since I was on SGA as a rep, so maybe things have changed, but if you go in there and make as passionate of a pitch as you did on here, maybe...just maybe you might see more in the coffers. Just a thought. Biondi has little to do with student group funding.

Keep up the good work.

05, can you consult with SGA about making an appeal for more funding? It's been 8 years since I was on SGA as a rep, so maybe things have changed, but if you go in there and make as passionate of a pitch as you did on here, maybe...just maybe you might see more in the coffers. Just a thought. Biondi has little to do with student group funding.

Keep up the good work.

I believe its an athletic department money issue, not a SLUNATICS issue.

I believe its an athletic department money issue, not a SLUNATICS issue.

Ahh, gotcha. My mistake.

The AD needs to clean house. Talented people can work with the budget in place. There's not an iota of talent in our existing "marketing dept."