Slow day....

this was in the belleville news democrat on saturday. i thought it would also be on their website, but it is not, so i am taking the time to type out the article. like is said, slow day, and i am in no mood to drive out around st louis today with my job as who knows how messed up the highways will be with the game and the president coming and all.

the article is a piece about kevin being named the belleville news democrat player of the year. i was actually surprised he won since price and jones were on the more successful team, and were both seniors. anyway, here it is:

"Discipline Helps Set Althoff Star Apart

by David Wilhelm

Belleville - Kevin Lisch is a nightmare for opponents.

Lisch, a 6 foot 2 Junior at Althoff High, also has a nightmare of his own - that someone will outwork him.

To prevent that from becoming reality, Lisch has disciplined himself to never let down his guard.

"it seems like sometimes you can get caught in a lull," said Lisch, whose rigorous-in-season workouts keep him a step ahead of his foes. "you can always turn it up a notch and separate yourself a little more."

Lisch separated himself from the pack this season. Area coaches overwhelmingly selected him the Belleville News-Democrat's Class AA Player of the Year after he averaged 24.1 points, 5.8 rebounds and 2.5 assists while shooting 85 percent from the free throw line for the 20-9 Crusaders.

Last year, Lisch shared the award with friend and rival, J.B. Jones of Belleville West.

"Like I said last year, it's an honor, but it's not like this is my goal every year," Lisch said. "I'm honored they picked me, but I really don't think of those things. I just play to get better. Sometimes awards come along with it."

"I just like playing a whole lot. It's an honor to get this, but it's not like a big thing I hold really high."

Althoff coach, Greg Leib, however, was elated for Lisch.

"The enjoyable part is how he goes about the game," Leib siad. "He attempts to never take a play off. He tries to play hard every series. It's enjoyable to see Kevin bring that to the game.

He goes out there to win ballgames. If being the best player on the court at that particular time helps us win, that's his main focus. It's a competitive thing."

Lisch, unlike many guards, doesn't blink before driving the lane. He sees it as an opportunity, not a potential disaster.

"i don't know if (other players) get scared of getting in there with the big guys or what," Lisch said. "sometimes you work on your jumpers and you get soft.

But so many good things happen when you drive to the basket. You can change the whole defense around. You can make scoring passes to guys under the basket and you can get fouled and go to the free-throw line."

Lisch, who had 40 3-pointers can change his plan in the middle of a determined trip to the basket, faking a defender out of his shoes with a quick stop and smooth pull-up jumper.

"you see the good (players) and they all have midrange games," Lisch said. "they can create their shot all the time. If you can go hard and shoot off the dribble, that's tough."

Lisch is forthright about his college options, which already are plentiful and growing by the day.

If forced to make a decision by sundown, Lisch would choose St Louis University. He will take an official visit to SLU on April 15, the first of five allowed by the NCAA.

"i'm looking forward to it. It should be fun," he said.

Lisch said nothing negative could happen on his visit to SLU that would dissuade him from staying close to home.

"I've been around (the players) a lot, and Coach (Brad)Soderberg is a great guy," Lisch said. "their campus is pretty. I've just liked what I've seen - academics and everything."

Lisch also intends to visit Illinois and perhaps Notre Dame, where is dad, Rusty, played football. Marquette and Iowa are among other schools on his radar screen.

"I want to give myself a fair chance," Lisch said. "instead of picking one now, I want to see some others."

Staying grounded. Forget about the possibility of Lisch turning into a spoiled brat, an elite athlete who believes the rules don't apply to him. Lisch has handled his success with grace, and understands playing basketball is a gift. One that makes him one of the more popular students in the Althoff hallways. "I have friends from freshmen to seniors," Lisch said. "They don't shun me because I'm pretty good at basketball. They take me as a regular person, and that's how I want it. I don't want to be treated differently because I'm better at something. A lot of people or better at something else."

It's that attitude and his 3.8 grade point average on a 4.0 scale that makes Lisch a hit with the Althoff teachers. Despite the time devoted to basketball, Lisch had straight A's in the third quarter has a 4.2 GPA on a 5.0 scale in the honors program.

"He's pretty popular with the faculty and his fellow classmates because he has that unassuming personality and he's humble," Leib said. "he's a student first. He just happens to be a very good basketball player."

Despite his stellar grades, Lisch said academics can be as challenging as a game when he is guarded by Jones.

"I don't consider myself naturally smart," he said. "I just work really hard at it and study a lot. My sisters (Stephanie and Theresa) study a lot, too, but they're both very smart."

Oh, Dear God, please don't let this kid change his mind. C'mon Kevin pay those guys a visit but come to SLU...please come to SLU... A kid that can shoot a mid range jumper? A creator...a hard worker....a student. Broy, does he know Polk real well...they would seem to be a lot alike as people. Fairly unassuming, good students, team first...etc?

I'll keep my fingers crossed. The kid sounds like a perfect fit. I hope he commits early. Get that momentum rolling for the Fall Signing period.

Not to be overly dramatic, but who we get signed from now until November could really be the start of an exciting era in Billiken basketball.

unless they have met at pickup games at slu, i dont think kevin knows what polk looks like.

but kevin knows liddell. the word on the street is that kevin and liddell have been playing one on one and working out together at the lisch family workouts as of late.

i agree ace. but i have to say, there is more buzz about the billikens then there has been since larry hughes was on campus. things are happening.

hehehehe i dont know that. that would be good.

i have heard very positive things about tommie and working on that advanced study course. let's hope the stars were aligned this past saturday and that act score is there.

I thought those were the most positive remarks I have heard him say regarding SLU ... if that article is correct we are without a doubt the front runner. We just have to hope no one else sweeps him off of his feet. He does seem very well grounded and like a great guy. If he is friends with Tommie then he probably knows Duane ... aren't Tommie and Duane good friends.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

imo, althoff freshman, jeremy felton, was the most talented area high school freshman. althoff also has two big bodied sophomores (both about 6'7" and strong), but at this time, i dont know if they are slu worthy yet. they need to progress more.

Well if Tommie and Kevin really have become friends, then that is great news for SLU. Not only does that improve our chances of getting Lisch, but that also means that if Tomie doesn't qualify and has to go the juco route, then our chances of getting him back are still really good with him being friends with Polk AND Lisch. Sounds like all these guys are becoming close and could really make some special Billken teams for us to enjoy for at least 3 years.

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

Hey, broy........today I heard from my usual semi-reliable source that Kevin Lisch has decided to play some AAU ball this summer. KL will not be playing with the St. Louis AAU Eagles, but with a lower profiled area team with players from both Missouri and Illinois. They will play a limited schedule, but in major tournaments in Houston (late April) and Las Vegas (July).

Also heard that core grade issues will probably push JBJ to a local juco.

interesting stuff! kevin playing aau for anyone is surprising. jones heading to jucoland is disappointing.