SLU gets 12 points in USA Today/Coaches poll

kwyjibo

-normally i don't care about rankings as SLU hasn't been relevant in that discussion in soooo long, but getting and keeping a ranking i think would be huge for the program from recruiting to ticket sales to media coverage to confidence to just about everything

-and if we win in cali and are 6-0 at the next vote i think we will get many more votes as the number of undefeateds should have been reduced by then

-then we need to wax our fellow Jesuits on tuesday, ace our finals, roll through the rest of nonconf, conf, conf tourney, ncaa and see you in new orleans!!!!

When's the last time SLU was in the Top 25?

Pretty sure we never made it in Larry's year or Clag's senior year. That would make it the spring of 1994. Believe we got to as high as 16th in the coaches poll before we lost to Dayton and played the tougher parts of the Great Midwest down the stretch.

Pretty sad history, quite frankly. I guess that explains why we get excited by 12 points in the coaches poll.

Pretty sure we never made it in Larry's year or Clag's senior year. That would make it the spring of 1994. Believe we got to as high as 16th in the coaches poll before we lost to Dayton and played the tougher parts of the Great Midwest down the stretch. Pretty sad history, quite frankly. I guess that explains why we get excited by 12 points in the coaches poll.

I just checked this at the poorly organized but exhaustive College Poll Archive -- http://www.collegepollarchive.com/mbasketball -- and you are correct.

Check this one out, the first AP Poll ever (and yes I know a lot of you know about this): http://www.collegepo....cfm?appollid=1

When SLU cracked the AP poll at #24 on 1/17/94 after starting the season 13-0, it was their first national ranking since 12/29/64*

The 1994 team peaked at #16 on 2/28, when they were 20-3 having most recently beaten Cincy to finish the season undefeated at home.

*only 10 teams were ranked from 1961-68, while 20 teams were ranked from 1949-1960, 1969-89, now 25 from 1990-present

When SLU cracked the AP poll at #24 on 1/17/94 after starting the season 13-0, it was their first national ranking since 12/29/64*

The 1994 team peaked at #16 on 2/28, when they were 20-3 having most recently beaten Cincy to finish the season undefeated at home.

*only 10 teams were ranked from 1961-68, while 20 teams were ranked from 1949-1960, 1969-89, now 25 from 1990-present

Yes, and they were rewarded with a #7 seed in that NCAA Tournament, though they drew Joe Smith and Maryland in the first round and lost the very first game of the tourney. And the next season they were a #9 and knocked off Minnesota in the first round, but their invitation to the Dance was likely helped (a little) by having gotten there the previous year. Once you get in, it can become a habit without having to have quite as spectacular a year. Gonzaga is a case-in-point.

How does Washington get 27 points in the AP and SLU get 6?

You have to walk before you can run. And, just because you beat a good team doesn't mean that you automatically take their place in any one poll. Especially when that win is at home. Do we have 3 straight appearances in the NCAA tournament with at least 24 wins each of those seasons? No, but Washington does.

Besides, you should want them to continue to be good and show up in the polls, as that just makes SLU's resume look that much better. I want them to be a top 10 team and win the Pac 12 by season's end!

I agree with your post, jbizzle, and it shows why the rankings shouldn't be taken too seriously. UW seriously only dropped 2 spots in the AP poll? They were the 3rd team in the Receiving Votes list, now they're the 5th team. If they were ranked #21 before Sunday, would they really still be ranked #23 after they got their blown out by an unranked mid-major? SLU is 3-0, UW is 3-1, SLU beat UW, SLU has 1 quality win, UW has 0, yet SLU is still behind UW because of preseason expectations and what they did 2-3 years ago. They are given the benefit of the doubt, but we still have to "prove ourselves" by winning more games.