Jim Les?

BLIKNS

Thinking about the possible new Assistant, and remembered Jim name had popped just before the Whitehead hiring.So is Jim a possibility?

i'd promote tony young to assistant coach and get him on the road a lot asap.

the last thing we need is another ex-head coach that doesnt want to press the flesh and live out of a suitcase. two is one too many imo. three would be insane.

i'd promote tony young to assistant coach and get him on the road a lot asap.

the last thing we need is another ex-head coach that doesnt want to press the flesh and live out of a suitcase. two is one too many imo. three would be insane.

I agree with Roy on this one. Ex-head coaches don't want to be assistants. They take a job like SLU asst as a short term, interim gig. I prefer someone young and hungry (no pun intended) who will recruit like an animal.

I agree with Roy on this one. Ex-head coaches don't want to be assistants. They take a job like SLU asst as a short term, interim gig. I prefer someone young and hungry (no pun intended) who will recruit like an animal.

Perhaps Brad Cornelius Soderberg would consider the Assistant Coach position...Recruiting-check; Knows the area-check; Familiar with the school-check...

Crews turned down the job months ago.

I've heard a couple rumors. Majerus has a couple very viable candidates lined up. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality of the hire.

Perhaps Brad Cornelius Soderberg would consider the Assistant Coach position...Recruiting-check; Knows the area-check; Familiar with the school-check...

Can't evaluate talent (Ahern and Harrelson), check. Can't close the deal- check. Is right where he belongs- check.

Crews turned down the job months ago.

I've heard a couple rumors. Majerus has a couple very viable candidates lined up. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality of the hire.

but the world was ending yesterday. I actually believe the entire University will crumble to the ground today regardless of who his hired. How can we go on without first Porter and now Jensen.

but the world was ending yesterday. I actually believe the entire University will crumble to the ground today regardless of who his hired. How can we go on without first Porter and now Jensen.

i do think that short term, moser was a bigger loss to the program than jensen's abandonment. porter was without a doubt dialed in recruitingwise. jensen didnt have near the experience or track record in recruiting as porter. that said, al jensen seemed to have all the tools to become a very good college assistant and maybe a head coach down the road.

what was created with these two assitant coaches leaving was the needed learning curve to bring in new people. obviously jensen and moser knew the program from day one, they were familiar with rickma, saint louis university and the existing players. they were closely involved in the ongoing recruiting and strategy for running the program. anyone that comes in has to learn from stage one. and the needed chemistry development between the existing staff, athletic dept and the school in general is going to take time. time that will hurt us.

no matter who you bring in, there will be a steep learning curve and it is bound to set us back. this is one of the reasons i like the thought of promoting tony young. he's already here and has been involved in a lot of what has been going on. is he the best choice long term? who knows. everyone started somewhere. he might turn into a recruiting whiz. we dont know. rickma probably has a pretty good idea if he has the right stuff.

anyone from outside the program that might be considered, this might be a good time to look for someone that can bring something with them. i.e. an on the ball AAU coach (who has at least some scruples) that might have a nice 6'9" 245 lb power forward to bring with him. or a young high school coach wanting to move up that has some pipeline contribution to bring along (think derrick thomas back in the spoon days who surely contributed to bringing hughes to slu)

the one aspect i am not interested in is a tired out of work ex head coach who is looking for a paycheck. now if somehow someway we have the ex head coach that is the natural to move into our next head coach spot, well that would be great. i only ask and wonder how they arent working right now if they are such a great choice as successor to the top spot?

we will survive.

i do think that short term, moser was a bigger loss to the program than jensen's abandonment. porter was without a doubt dialed in recruitingwise. jensen didnt have near the experience or track record in recruiting as porter. that said, al jensen seemed to have all the tools to become a very good college assistant and maybe a head coach down the road.

what was created with these two assitant coaches leaving was the needed learning curve to bring in new people. obviously jensen and moser knew the program from day one, they were familiar with rickma, saint louis university and the existing players. they were closely involved in the ongoing recruiting and strategy for running the program. anyone that comes in has to learn from stage one. and the needed chemistry development between the existing staff, athletic dept and the school in general is going to take time. time that will hurt us.

no matter who you bring in, there will be a steep learning curve and it is bound to set us back. this is one of the reasons i like the thought of promoting tony young. he's already here and has been involved in a lot of what has been going on. is he the best choice long term? who knows. everyone started somewhere. he might turn into a recruiting whiz. we dont know. rickma probably has a pretty good idea if he has the right stuff.

anyone from outside the program that might be considered, this might be a good time to look for someone that can bring something with them. i.e. an on the ball AAU coach (who has at least some scruples) that might have a nice 6'9" 245 lb power forward to bring with him. or a young high school coach wanting to move up that has some pipeline contribution to bring along (think derrick thomas back in the spoon days who surely contributed to bringing hughes to slu)

the one aspect i am not interested in is a tired out of work ex head coach who is looking for a paycheck. now if somehow someway we have the ex head coach that is the natural to move into our next head coach spot, well that would be great. i only ask and wonder how they arent working right now if they are such a great choice as successor to the top spot?

we will survive.

I really don't get all the fuss. If we have good asst's other people will want them. It's that simple.

You sound like you believe AJ did the wrong thing by leaving. What gets me is none of us know the inner scoop, so stressing over all the ifs, maybe's, and possibly's that may or may not have lead to his decision just seem silly. Maybe I'm just getting old, I did just turn 50.

I don't really care about jensen leaving beyond the timing. I wasn't all that sold on him becoming the main asst when he was promoted after porter left. My only point is it is an adustment we now have to make.

I don't really care about jensen leaving beyond the timing. I wasn't all that sold on him becoming the main asst when he was promoted after porter left. My only point is it is an adustment we now have to make.

I agree, but we have 2 experienced head coaches who I'm sure can handle it. I don't think it's near the problem it's being made out to be

we will survive.

A good or great recruiting assistant is essentially a salesman for the program. If we are talking about a gameday replacement for Majerus then even the mighty Porter Moser couldn't quite pull that off. A good salesman can sell anything. The learning curve for a new assistant coach just isn't that steep. A new assistant with no midwest recruiting ties may take a while to get up to speed here but they also have the advantage of being a fresh face for the program.

Alex Jensen leaving is not necessarily a setback.

A good or great recruiting assistant is essentially a salesman for the program. If we are talking about a gameday replacement for Majerus then even the mighty Porter Moser couldn't quite pull that off. A good salesman can sell anything. The learning curve for a new assistant coach just isn't that steep. A new assistant with no midwest recruiting ties may take a while to get up to speed here but they also have the advantage of being a fresh face for the program.

Alex Jensen leaving is not necessarily a setback.

Personally, I think everything roy stated was pretty spot on. Jensen leaving a few days prior to practice beginning (and after the Canada trip and practices allowed for that) is actually a setback, even if just temporarily. If Jensen leaves around the time Porter did, then it is easier to get someone in who can can build chemistry with the players and other coaches. Now, you have to bring someone in who is going to be unfamiliar with everyone and will take time to build relationships.

I don't think it is a HUGE setback, but I believe it does create a bit of an obstacle for the team at this time. Hopefully Majerus plugs in the best person (and personality) for the job and the transition is relatively smooth. Again, this is not a 'sky is falling' moment or anything, and we will be fine in the end, but we do need to recognize that it creates a bit of an issue right now.

Personally, I think everything roy stated was pretty spot on. Jensen leaving a few days prior to practice beginning (and after the Canada trip and practices allowed for that) is actually a setback, even if just temporarily. If Jensen leaves around the time Porter did, then it is easier to get someone in who can can build chemistry with the players and other coaches. Now, you have to bring someone in who is going to be unfamiliar with everyone and will take time to build relationships.

I don't think it is a HUGE setback, but I believe it does create a bit of an obstacle for the team at this time. Hopefully Majerus plugs in the best person (and personality) for the job and the transition is relatively smooth. Again, this is not a 'sky is falling' moment or anything, and we will be fine in the end, but we do need to recognize that it creates a bit of an issue right now.

Good summary. Don't disagree.

And at the end of the day, if we have a successful year on the court, then our recruiting options should be better no matter who the assistant coach is.