Thanks to HTB

slu72

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When was the last time, if ever, we got this much recruiting info about the Bills for free (sorry, Nate)? Way to go HTB and keep it up. Much appreciated.

Nate gave more info if you subscribed.

Nice update on Ingram. It sounds like we should hear decisions one way or another from both Ellenson and Ingram before the end of summer.

What am I missing - I don't see a live topic for Ellenson & Ingram...

Nate gave more info if you subscribed.

+100 and with more credibility. It was awesome to see our friend from the great white north, Nolan Shulman, break the big story on Glaze first. He was Johnny on the Spot with that breaking news! Way to go, Nolan!

Posted Image

NOLAN! NOLAN! NOLAN!

+100 and with more credibility. It was awesome to see our friend from the great white north, Nolan Shulman, break the big story on Glaze first. He was Johnny on the Spot with that breaking news! Way to go, Nolan!

Posted Image

Not sure why the vendetta against HTB

Not sure why the vendetta against HTB

Vendetta is a strong word. I just question their lack of credentials. They just came out of nowhere and are getting all this publicity without us doing our due diligence on them or their sources or anything. Somebody has to do it. Oh, you wrote for the UNews? Oh ok, you're credible. Doesn't work that way. You have to pay your dues first, unless your last name is Russert.

Vendetta is a strong word. I just question their lack of credentials. They just came out of nowhere and are getting all this publicity without us doing our due diligence on their sources or anything. Somebody has to do it.

Fair enough.

You have to realize though that the lack of any information has been a staple of this program forever. I, like many, welcome as much information as possible and will nibble on the littlest of information. If the information is redundant or wrong, well that will shake itself out over time.

HTB hasn't been around that long, so I suspect their credentials will build with time. You have to start somewhere.

Fair enough.

You have to realize though that the lack of any information has been a staple of this program forever. I, like many, welcome as much information as possible and will nibble on the littlest of information. If the information is redundant or wrong, well that will shake itself out over time.

HTB hasn't been around that long, so I suspect their credentials will build with time. You have to start somewhere.

I like information, but it's just baffling to me that kids are talking to them. It's not like they pick up the phone and say, 'hi, I'm __________ from Scout/Rivals, etc and I'd like to know how your recruiting process is going.' Or the fact that coaches are naive enough to give out player information to a blog that has no affiliation with any of the major recruiting services. It's kind of like the Huffington Post before AOL came along. You just wonder why in the world anyone would talk to people who don't have the backing on a legitimate news/sports medium.

Agree.

Does anyone have any basis to feel they are not credible? Have they lied? Posted clearly erroneous facts? Are they just pilfering stories from someone else?

The whole "pay your dues first" argument is just stupid. As if they have to go to j-school and then start in the mail room somewhere in order to have the privilege to call up a recruit and ask him questions. Regardless, it seems like they are putting in the work to provide information that people want.

So far, HTB seems pretty credible to me. And as you said, if it's not, it will shake out over time.

Agree.

Does anyone have any basis to feel they are not credible? Have they lied? Posted clearly erroneous facts? Are they just pilfering stories from someone else?

The whole "pay your dues first" argument is just stupid. As if they have to go to j-school and then start in the mail room somewhere in order to have the privilege to call up a recruit and ask him questions. Regardless, it seems like they are putting in the work to provide information that people want.

So far, HTB seems pretty credible to me. And as you said, if it's not, it will shake out over time.

Ok, so you just watched the movie "The Secret of My Suce$s" with Michael J. Fox to get that mail room analogy. I like that. +1, Moy.

But in all seriousness, a lot of people come out of that UNews office, myself included, and have to do just a little bit more to establish credibility. A few bylines in a college weekly isn't going to cut it in my book. SLU doesn't offer a J-school, so the UNews is the best avenue for an aspiring journalist that we have at the U (or intern for UNIVERSITAS, which I won't even go into). In 2005, when I left SLU with a B.A. in political science and a certificate in political journalism, that wouldn't have been enough for me to be credible on my own blog, more or less the blog of any blog inside the Beltway. You have to earn it. We're just giving it to these kids like they're Woodward and Bernstein. For their own good, they need people to raise a brow at them. It's a cold world out there.

The fact that most of you are jumping for joy on new sources of recruiting information is great. Let's just hope they don't screw up. There will be posters on here fact-checking.

Metz, I think you have a fair argument, but you have to understand that blogs are here to stay. In today's world anyone with information can gain momentum and become a credible source without a degree or any other experience. Those who provide information that isn't factual will be pointed out and people will stop reading their blogs, webpages, twitters, etc.

To be honest I don't really care if Nate provided more and/or better information if we subscribed. This is really all anyone ever wanted. Just some recruiting and scheduling updates and it's all free. They make the effort to contact recruits and coaches and if they don't get solid information, it's really not their fault.

Unless you have tons of money you have to build your credibility from scratch and that's what they are trying to do. Unless we actually consistently see false information coming from them, I have no question on the credibility of what they write.

They're doing a service to Billiken fans and the majority of us really appreciate it especially this time of year when we want to talk basketball and the season is months away.

I give these kids a lot of credit and taking some initiative. They are filling a void since Nate left the recruiting scene and Timmermann has NEVER covered SLU recruiting. Nobody is portraying them as experts, but I think most of us appreciate the info they provide. I don't even care that they don't see the kids play. They are not acting like they are scouting gurus who evaluate players, but they are telling us who SLU is recruiting and that is of interest to me. After I find out who we are recruiting, I can just do an internets search to find out more detail about what type of player he is.

I give these kids a lot of credit and taking some initiative. They are filling a void since Nate left the recruiting scene and Timmermann has NEVER covered SLU recruiting. Nobody is portraying them as experts, but I think most of us appreciate the info they provide. I don't even care that they don't see the kids play. They are not acting like they are scouting gurus who evaluate players, but they are telling us who SLU is recruiting and that is of interest to me. After I find out who we are recruiting, I can just do an internets search to find out more detail about what type of player he is.

+1 and +1 to 13 as well thank you for allowing me to bite my tongue.

Metz, I think you have a fair argument, but you have to understand that blogs are here to stay. In today's world anyone with information can gain momentum and become a credible source without a degree or any other experience. Those who provide information that isn't factual will be pointed out and people will stop reading their blogs, webpages, twitters, etc.

I agree with that 100% and that is extremely unfortunate. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I'm always going to second-guess these people who come out of nowhere and call themselves a "foremost resource." This is according to whom or what? Who called you a "foremost resource?"

I agree with that 100% and that is extremely unfortunate. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I'm always going to second-guess these people who come out of nowhere and call themselves a "foremost resource." This is according to whom or what? Who called you a "foremost resource?"

It's just like a pizza place saying they have the best pizza, it's all puffery, and it's legal. That's part of life.

It's fine to be critical. It's douchey to constantly rag on them.

It's not like they are the Drudge Report or something like that. So far they have been credible. They are providing basic recruiting info that SLU fans are looking for. If they are willing to make some calls, get quotes from recruits or their coaches, great. Keep it up.

Metz makes sense but unfortuantely, in today's world of blogs and websites and youtube postings and social media and the I-want-it-right-now mentality and all that, credentials and substantiating and validating the new "news" is getting tougher and tougher all the time. The bottom line is again the old "buyer beware." You really don't know what you are getting and who you choose to trust is up to you.

But Tonka is also right when he says the lack of information on this board and about this program from the past to where we are now is like throwing a weight to a drowning man -- we'll take ANYTHING based on what we've had (or not had) before. 'Tis true .....

I too applaud and ask all to keep up the good work. Aren't these boards geared towards all talk and no substantiation?