Willie Reed story in KC Star

Guest BillikenReport

My favorite part of the story:

Reed re-enrolled at Saint Louis in January. But his father said that without the tutoring services offered for student-athletes, Reed decided to drop out in March. That same month, Reed gathered a group of friends at an Applebee’s and announced that he was declaring for the NBA draft.

Reed re-enrolled at Saint Louis in January. But his father said that without the tutoring services offered for student-athletes, Reed decided to drop out in March. That same month, Reed gathered a group of friends at an Applebee’s and announced that he was declaring for the NBA draft.

They just redesigned their Green Room for Willie and those folks to watch the draft tomorrow night. Eatin' good in the Neighborhood.

Here's mine: “When you turn (in) a transcript on a piece of notebook paper,” Zych said about Milestone, “that’s not a school.”

Here's mine:

When he was back home with his mom last week, Reed stayed up all night bouncing around to Xbox Kinect dance games and feasted on his mother’s homemade spicy chicken wings with the extra hot sauce. While he visited his father, Reed lounged on the couch for six hours just reminiscing about the past.

Just joshing, I'm a lazy bastard when I go home, too.

Good article. Sheds light on a lot of stuff.

Overall, I thought it was a decent article and it does give some interesting info on his pre-SLU days. However, much like a lot of the media appearances by Willie and his dad, they are trying to put Willie in the best possible light, and don't really own up to Willie's real issues at SLU. I really hope he has learned from the past few years and grown, but I almost feel like 'The Situation' might have been the best thing that could have happened to him. He can now use that as the reason for him not being able to play this season and gloss over his other issues with grades and discipline that led to him not being eligible for the Spring semester and not a part of the team (as KM was). Also, since he didn't play this past season, he is able to still have the 'raw potential' tag, which might actually make him more appealing to NBA teams.

It was such a complete disgrace by this university to lump him in with the alleged sexual assault when he had no role whatsoever. If I were him I would refer to myself as "Willie Reed, from Bishop Miege" i.e. the last school he played at before SLU.

Here's mine: “When you turn (in) a transcript on a piece of notebook paper,” Zych said about Milestone, “that’s not a school.”

Oh yeah. Good stuff.

Overall, I thought it was a decent article and it does give some interesting info on his pre-SLU days. However, much like a lot of the media appearances by Willie and his dad, ...

And you are criticizing Team Willie for this? Air Time knows how the media game works. We all know that the situation was not the only reason Willie was kicked out of school then readmitted. So Team Willie has a friendly reporter in his home town write an article giving their spin on what went wrong with Willie at SLU. So much is slimy about the NBA that I can't fathom one finding it objectionable if a player entering the draft spins the media to create a favorable perception. The NBA is a business and this is how major business operates. It helps SLU if Willie gets drafted and makes an NBA roster. As far as I am concerned spin away. I don't think SLU is harmed by the whisper that SLU was strict in disciplining a student in regard to an alleged sexual assault. We're a catholic school. No one should be surprised.

I have no idea what WR is like as a person, but looking from the outside in at the various situations he's created over the years he strikes me as immature and hoping for an easy route to success. Note to WR, there isn't any easy route to success in life. Whether it be the NBA, a marriage, or a career outside of bb. People who are successful work damn hard to reach their objectives. As RM said, WR hasn't shown him he's learned this lesson. Does WR possess all the physical tools to play in the NBA? Obviously he does or we wouldn't even be discussing his future prospects. But that's only part of the equation. The other part is attitude and I don't know if anyone is born with an attitude gene. The fact that WR didn't take advantage of the second chance SLU gave him in January would be a red flag if I was an NBA scout. WR hadn't accomplished that much in his first two years here that would guarantee him a slot in the draft. He needed that 3rd year, but sadly he wasn't willing to put forth the effort to get it. It would be good for WR and SLU if he makes an NBA roster, unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen next year. And won't happen until WR realizes he need more than just physical talent to make it to that level.