Malcolm Hill Jr.

NH

Why? Being first don't mean nothing. Right now, who knows where thi skid coul dend up. I suspect that if Mizzou and Haith were this quick, the upper-level BCS schools won't be far behind.

The top 50 wing out of Belleville picked up his first scholarship offer today, from Mizzou. Awesome.

Totally misleading post. Hill is a 2013 recruit. A number of schools, SLU included, have long expressed interest and most certainly told him they each want him to come to their school. No written LOI has been signed or can be signed. Instead, you have absolutely no idea about the order of the many schools to offer, and even if you did, who really cares as Taj suggests. Heard This has already posted the following:

http://heardthisblog.com/?p=250

In short, guess you are just started to flame and are suggesting that SLU is slow to offer just like Ohio State, Illinois, Tennessee, SIU-Carbondale, Purdue, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, and Xavier. We understand your negative attitude toward RM but are you suggesting these other schools are dumb and slow to judge talent as well? I'd say these schools represent some of the best college programs. Pretty good company to be in don't you think? If you are correct, Frank Haith has outsmarted all of these schools!! I doubt that.

The top 50 wing out of Belleville picked up his first scholarship offer today, from Mizzou. Awesome.

Chill out. If you are really pissed about who offers a hs sophomore a scholly first then maybe you need to find some new hobbies.

Totally misleading post. Hill is a 2013 recruit. A number of schools, SLU included, have long expressed interest and most certainly told him they each want him to come to their school. No written LOI has been signed or can be signed. Instead, you have absolutely no idea about the order of the many schools to offer, and even if you did, who really cares as Taj suggests. Heard This has already posted the following:

http://heardthisblog.com/?p=250

In short, guess you are just started to flame and are suggesting that SLU is slow to offer just like Ohio State, Illinois, Tennessee, SIU-Carbondale, Purdue, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, and Xavier. We understand your negative attitude toward RM but are you suggesting these other schools are dumb and slow to judge talent as well? I'd say these schools represent some of the best college programs. Pretty good company to be in don't you think? If you are correct, Frank Haith has outsmarted all of these schools!! I doubt that.

1) I am correct as it has been reported by a variety of sources that he picked up his first scholarship offer, from Missouri.

2) Schools like OSU, Illinois, and Purdue can afford to offer later in the game because they have more pedigree, success etc.

3) Haith didn't outsmart people, he just said this kid is good enough to play for us, let's offer him a scholarship. I guess SLU is not ready to make that judgement yet.

Chill out. If you are really pissed about who offers a hs sophomore a scholly first then maybe you need to find some new hobbies.

Let's hope you aren't a USC football fan. Monty Kiffin scouted some 7-on-7 action at a Montessori school here in Dallas the other day. Says this five-year old could be the next Todd Marinovich.

1) I am correct as it has been reported by a variety of sources that he picked up his first scholarship offer, from Missouri.

2) Schools like OSU, Illinois, and Purdue can afford to offer later in the game because they have more pedigree, success etc.

3) Haith didn't outsmart people, he just said this kid is good enough to play for us, let's offer him a scholarship. I guess SLU is not ready to make that judgement yet.

Don't let semantics of who "officially" offered a scholarship get in the way of your hatred toward RM. Seriously, what is the difference between your regular and repeated inflamatory comments and some other troll to the Board??

I guess SLU is not ready to make that judgement yet.

So when SLU made a judgement on Chiveous, the big boys jumped in.

Why can't we jump in when the big boys are first to judge? I think we can offer a kid just as much, if not more, than Mizzery. We just don't have the right people selling a program that a kid can buy into. That's why losing Paul Biancardi has hurt us more than losing Porter ever will. Biancardi has that new-ish car salesman attitude and is east coast arrogant enough to tell a kid flat out to not waste his time or our time if you don't want to be here. I really don't think we have a recruiter that can sell a program like PB can. Sure, we don't have banners on the rafters, so you have to come up with a plan to sell an illusion of greatness, to imagine the possibilities.

So when SLU made a judgement on Chiveous, the big boys jumped in.

Why can't we jump in when the big boys are first to judge? I think we can offer a kid just as much, if not more, than Mizzery. We just don't have the right people selling a program that a kid can buy into. That's why losing Paul Biancardi has hurt us more than losing Porter ever will. Biancardi has that new-ish car salesman attitude and is east coast arrogant enough to tell a kid flat out to not waste his time or our time if you don't want to be here. I really don't think we have a recruiter that can sell a program like PB can. Sure, we don't have banners on the rafters, so you have to come up with a plan to sell an illusion of greatness, to imagine the possibilities.

+1. Some people won't agree with you because they were in love with Porter, but great post.

Guest BillikenReport

I talked with Hill's father this morning.

He said Missouri and Southern Illinois Carbondale have offered and Illinois coach Bruce Weber said he will offer in person early next month. Also said Providence and Georgetown have been recruiting him hard so far.

Never mentioned SLU.

Bobby,

I disagree with your thoughts on SLU vs. Missouri. You're not going to find many kids who would choose to play in the Atlantic 10 instead of the Big 12 Conference. You're right about losing Biancardi being a problem for the Billikens because he was a very good recruiter who had proven that at bigger programs. But its not a bigger loss than Moser because Moser was able to establish himself in the St. Louis area much more than Biancardi did in his brief time here.

He said Missouri and Southern Illinois Carbondale have offered and Illinois coach Bruce Weber said he will offer in person early next month. Also said Providence and Georgetown have been recruiting him hard so far.

Never mentioned SLU.

Bobby,

I disagree with your thoughts on SLU vs. Missouri. You're not going to find many kids who would choose to play in the Atlantic 10 instead of the Big 12 Conference. You're right about losing Biancardi being a problem for the Billikens because he was a very good recruiter who had proven that at bigger programs. But its not a bigger loss than Moser because Moser was able to establish himself in the St. Louis area much more than Biancardi did in his brief time here.

I agree to a certain extent that the bright lights can blind a recruit, but Majerus and Co. need to have a plan in place and I really don't see one. We can't be a contingency plan for kids, we have to be their #1. True that in terms of years on the bench, PB didn't spend the same amount time establishing a rapport with SLU-bound recruits the way Moser did, but I'd like to believe that given the same amount of time here, Biancardi and Moser would be a significant 1-2 punch.

Nate, do you think that players these days would rather contribute less and win more than contribute more and win less? I mean, that's what it boils down to when comparing the opportunities at a mid-major conference over a BCS one.

Never mentioned SLU.

Bobby,

Porter is a good guy, but to say he established himself in the St. Louis area is a stretch. He never landed one player from the St Louis area until he moved on to Loyala and that player is a boderline D1 prospect.

I am confident that Biancardi would have had better results in the St Louis area over the same time period.

It was time for a staff shake up.

Never mentioned SLU.

Bobby,

Nate. Thanks for the inpute. Please clarify.

His father did not bring up SLU. That's fine. Does that mean that SLU has not tried to recruit him? or that Malcolm just might not be interested in us. If the kid has higher ambitions than SLU, I get it. I just get tired of complaints that SLU has not even tried. Quite possibly, RM and staff tried and were politely told "NO".

Curioius, though, did you bring up SLU to his father?

Guest BillikenReport

His father did not bring up SLU. That's fine. Does that mean that SLU has not tried to recruit him? or that Malcolm just might not be interested in us. If the kid has higher ambitions than SLU, I get it. I just get tired of complaints that SLU has not even tried. Quite possibly, RM and staff tried and were politely told "NO".

SLU has recruited Hill in the past, which I've written on this board before. SLU had Hill on campus for an unofficial visit early in his freshman year and probably since then for an Elite Camp or something, but I don't remember for sure.

I did not ask his father about SLU. I don't usually ask recruits/parents/coaches about specific schools unless they bring up the schools so I can get a more accurate gauge of who is recruiting them or a better feel for what they think about certain schools. (For example, if a reporter calls a recruit saying he is from the Scout.com site that covers a school like SLU, the recruit may say lots of nice things about SLU. But if a reporter calls and says he is from Scout.com or Newspaper X, the same recruit may not even mention SLU as a consideration.)

I'll talk to Malcolm Jr. soon and I'll ask him about all the schools recruiting him.

When Rick was first hired, he said (or it was said about him) that if he feels they don't have a realistic shot at a player, they move quickly to plan B. People praised that as a refreshing new idea compared to the Romar-Soderberg days of ride Plan A to the grave and then have to settle for plan D-Z.

Now people are saying he is a lazy recruiter because of it. Strange.

And if Porter and Biancardi were both here, who knows how good this team would be now.

That list grows every day...no order...Mizzou, Notre Dame, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio State Georgetown, Providence, etc...and so on...

Unless SLU plans on spending $400k for Dalonte Hill or Word Wide Wes etc...expectations are that SLU would only be able to land highly sought after high major recruits every once in a while at best.

Kwamain Mitchell, Mike McCall, Dwayne Evans, etc...were under the radar kids who could play...but didn't have one thing or another that on the surface that bigger schools were seeking. As long as SLU "hits" with frequency and consistency with these types of players, SLU can and will be successful. ...often and consistently.

Xavier has made 21 of the last 27 NCAA's since Gillen...Gonzaga has made 13 straight...winning consistently over a long period of time with "less" or "overlooked" does quite a bit for recruiting.

SLU has recruited Hill in the past, which I've written on this board before. SLU had Hill on campus for an unofficial visit early in his freshman year and probably since then for an Elite Camp or something, but I don't remember for sure.

I did not ask his father about SLU. I don't usually ask recruits/parents/coaches about specific schools unless they bring up the schools so I can get a more accurate gauge of who is recruiting them or a better feel for what they think about certain schools. (For example, if a reporter calls a recruit saying he is from the Scout.com site that covers a school like SLU, the recruit may say lots of nice things about SLU. But if a reporter calls and says he is from Scout.com or Newspaper X, the same recruit may not even mention SLU as a consideration.)

I'll talk to Malcolm Jr. soon and I'll ask him about all the schools recruiting him.

Nate. Thanks for the input and clarification. You're approach seems logical and right on. I, for one, now better understand. Thanks again.

Curious. Now that you are with the Post, what will you handle v. what will Timmerman handle? Any changes coming with respect to who will cover SLU, Mizzou and the Illini?? Will Timmerman have his blog again this year?

Guest BillikenReport

Curious. Now that you are with the Post, what will you handle v. what will Timmerman handle? Any changes coming with respect to who will cover SLU, Mizzou and the Illini?? Will Timmerman have his blog again this year?

I cover high school sports, including recruiting. Tom covers the Billikens, but doesn't really cover recruiting unless kids make commitments.

I don't know anything about changes or about Tom's blog. Sorry.

I agree to a certain extent that the bright lights can blind a recruit, but Majerus and Co. need to have a plan in place and I really don't see one. We can't be a contingency plan for kids, we have to be their #1. True that in terms of years on the bench, PB didn't spend the same amount time establishing a rapport with SLU-bound recruits the way Moser did, but I'd like to believe that given the same amount of time here, Biancardi and Moser would be a significant 1-2 punch.

Nate, do you think that players these days would rather contribute less and win more than contribute more and win less? I mean, that's what it boils down to when comparing the opportunities at a mid-major conference over a BCS one.

I think you've got something. That's a real plan, lets be everyone's #1 choice, boy won't recruiting be easy then?

I think you've got something. That's a real plan, lets be everyone's #1 choice, boy won't recruiting be easy then?

nothing that a sack of $100 bills couldnt achieve. ask huggybear.

or hell, let's go with the ACT lookalike test taker. that always works for cal.

see if we put our heads together we can make this #1 choice plan work.

nothing that a sack of $100 bills couldnt achieve. ask huggybear.

or hell, let's go with the ACT lookalike test taker. that always works for cal.

see if we put our heads together we can make this #1 choice plan work.

I dunno...we might need a John Deere dealer in on it with the type of guys Rick likes to recruit.