OT - Gary Williams

Sitting here in the DC metroplex, I did not see this coming. There have been signs, dating back to Gary's ongoing fall out with the AD Debbie Yow and some of her minions. But when she left, all seemed fine despite sniping from both camps at the other even after she went to NC State. Two things seemed to have changed recently ....1) the new AD (who canned alum Ralph Friedgen even after an okay year) and now the Jordan Williams awkward entry into the NBA draft. The Williams defection seemed to really catch Gary and his staff unawares. Gary is also a dinosaur ... ala Majerus, Knight, and a couple others of that age group. I got the feeling Gary was growing weary of the ass kissing that has become college recruiting. His planets all aligned for his one and only NCAA title back in the early 2000s and he could not regain that success in the ten years past. He got a lot of second tier players in Mosley, Strawberry, Caner-Medley, Gregory and then some. His run was fueled by four-year guys like Baxter, Dixon, Blake and Booth but he wasn't seeing many blossom as they had.

I expect this timing is about as bad as it can get for the Twerps .... their incoming class is again a bunch of suspects right noiw, including the Bruening kid. They got nothing on hand that can knock heads with the Plumlee twins or the Zeller-Henson UNC front line.

Gary is cooked.

Good call on the Breunig kid. Taj, not sure you answered it, but were we ever considered by this kid? Anybody know?

We were in his top 3 or 4. We went overseas and recruited him while he was playing U-18s. He committed to MD a couple months back. If he backs out of it we could still stand a chance with him. Plus Jensen had the most contact with him, not Porter. Jensen made the trip to Europe.

Coaches leave (Gregory) and recruits de-committ (Henson). I never thought of it but it couldfbe the case with Bruening as well. Hmmmmmmm .... never thought of that.

Big rumor is Mike Brey might be jumping from ND back to the ACC (was assistant at Duke) and is from nearby Bethesda, MD. Could be very interesting in the next few days.

Coaches leave (Gregory) and recruits de-committ (Henson). I never thought of it but it couldfbe the case with Bruening as well. Hmmmmmmm .... never thought of that.

Seems like the Maryland program is now in a complete state of flux. The Williams kid really has no business jumping to the NBA right now, so obviously it caught Gary Williams by surprise. I wonder if this just was a final straw for him. Like you mentioned before, maybe he just didn't want to kiss the ass of anymore teenage kids.

Having said that, I would not be surprised at all of Bruening decides to jump ship based on the disarray at the program. All he has to do is see that SLU has open scholarships right now...

Talk here is Williams just got married. Now, I know he was seen with some hot, younger chick on his arm lately so maybe he parlayed Larry Eustachy-like panderings into an Ekker-like situtation for himself and that is from one person tightly connected to the Terrapin Club so he might have gone through some middle-age craziness. That's on the personal side.

On the professional side, Steve Bisciotti and he are tights. Bisciotti owns the Ravens. Steve told him to retire last year, after he came out of nowhere to tie for the ACC regular season title. But he wanted to ride Jordan Williams and company back to the NCAAs. This was a teaching year for Williams and next year was supposed to be the reaping of that sown side when Jordan was a junior. Now that he's left, Gary Williams has to literally start over ewith no front line. That's really why he bolted. He has a nice class led by Nick Faust but he's too tired to do the "teaching" thing again. That's what's being said here.

I hear both Faust and the other guard are thinking about their commits. Have heard the Bruening is overseas and unavailable for comment. Brey has been mentioned as the lead but his reps are currently renegotiating an ND extension. The UMd interest comes at a great time. The second named dropped is Miller at Zona. Secondary names are Dixon at Pitt (a big Baltimore/DC recruiter) and Wright at Nova. Then the usual hot names like Smart, the Butler guy, and few others. This a really comes at a grossly bad time. It's really bad to be at this point in a program at this time of year.

The Friedgen hire was only stealing Edsall from Uconn --- Most wanted Leach from texas tech --- and Twerp nation was not happy. Going to be interesting.

Talk here is Williams just got married. Now, I know he was seen with some hot, younger chick on his arm lately so maybe he parlayed Larry Eustachy-like panderings into an Ekker-like situtation for himself and that is from one person tightly connected to the Terrapin Club so he might have gone through some middle-age craziness. That's on the personal side.

On the professional side, Steve Bisciotti and he are tights. Bisciotti owns the Ravens. Steve told him to retire last year, after he came out of nowhere to tie for the ACC regular season title. But he wanted to ride Jordan Williams and company back to the NCAAs. This was a teaching year for Williams and next year was supposed to be the reaping of that sown side when Jordan was a junior. Now that he's left, Gary Williams has to literally start over ewith no front line. That's really why he bolted. He has a nice class led by Nick Faust but he's too tired to do the "teaching" thing again. That's what's being said here.

I hear both Faust and the other guard are thinking about their commits. Have heard the Bruening is overseas and unavailable for comment. Brey has been mentioned as the lead but his reps are currently renegotiating an ND extension. The UMd interest comes at a great time. The second named dropped is Miller at Zona. Secondary names are Dixon at Pitt (a big Baltimore/DC recruiter) and Wright at Nova. Then the usual hot names like Smart, the Butler guy, and few others. This a really comes at a grossly bad time. It's really bad to be at this point in a program at this time of year.

The Friedgen hire was only stealing Edsall from Uconn --- Most wanted Leach from texas tech --- and Twerp nation was not happy. Going to be interesting.

Taj, i think Maryland and ND play at FedEx Field this year. Imagine the pre-game meal if Weis and Ralph were both coaching there...

SoSean Miller`s name mentioned,then Bam the U of A job opens up,and my boy Randy Bennett is back in Arizona.

ND sucks. Who cares.

What bowl game did Michigan play in this year? The Gary Moeller Bowl? Still reeling from that Appalachian State game? The greatest game ever to be played? I heard they are making that into a movie starring the corpse of Walter Matthau as Lloyd Carr.

You know why Denard Robinson can't tie his shoelaces right? Because he goes to Michigan.

What bowl game did Michigan play in this year? The Gary Moeller Bowl? Still reeling from that Appalachian State game? The greatest game ever to be played? I heard they are making that into a movie starring the corpse of Walter Matthau as Lloyd Carr.

You know why Denard Robinson can't tie his shoelaces right? Because he goes to Michigan.

Metz-

Michigan beat ND last year. Ironic that Jeter is from Michigan.

Get a life.

Show of hands .... anyone on here consider Maryland to be "one of the choicest jobs in all of college basketball?" Just curious ... this was the statement made in Sunday's Baltimore Sun by one of my favorite columnists Peter (the) Schmuck. Maybe back when it was the "UCLA of the East" but I don't see it as such anymore. Competing against Duke and UNC in the ACC is tough; then against locals Georgetown and (somewhat) Villanova to include the likes of Mason and others that seem to come and go. Plus Pitt and Syracuse have established pipelines into the area. I just don't see it. Other thoughts?

Haven't heard the local backlash on Turgeon -- and I'm sure there will be some. The choices were supposed to be Miller, Stevens, Dixon, Wright and Brey. I suspect Turgeon won't get too many raises from the locals on the hire. But there was no "Garyland" tie --- Williams didn't really develop much in terms of assistants into the ranks outside of Jimmy Patos at Loyola of Maryland. And that ain't too good to begin with.