Gene Keady - Xavier Price

There is a report on ESPN.com that Gene Keady may be leaving Purdue to coach at U. of San Francisco, of all places. If he were to leave, would Xavier Price want to be released from his letter of intent at Purdue so that he could attend SLU?

or...

If Keady leaves Purdue and Painter is hired to replace him, would Shaw want out at SIU?

>There is a report on ESPN.com that Gene Keady may be leaving

>Purdue to coach at U. of San Francisco, of all places. If

>he were to leave, would Xavier Price want to be released

>from his letter of intent at Purdue so that he could attend

>SLU?

>

>or...

>

>If Keady leaves Purdue and Painter is hired to replace him,

>would Shaw want out at SIU?

Probably not, and besides I've heard that Cuanzo Martin is the next coach at Purdue and he was insturmental in landing Price.

I was listening to ESPN Radio...Dan Patrick show, and they are surmising that he is being forced out at Purdue. According to their sources, Keady will meet with his players sometime today and let them know what is going on including the fact that he might be heading to University of San Francisco.

Patrick was trying to get in touch with Steve Lavin who is being reported by EPSN to be one of the leading candidates if Keady is, in fact out. They were also mentioning Painter and Cuonzo Martin as potential replacements.

not surprised you would say that b-law. not surprised either that you wouldn't give your reason for believing neither of the players would want to leave to come here. let me guess they're both headed to marquette. i'd be surprised if martin is the next head coach. he just seems too young and inexperienced at this point.

All he did was state that the lead recruiter on Price is probably going to land the job so he won't be looking to go elsewhere anyway.

This whole conversation is stupid to begin with because the Bills need a powerforward, not another guard.

as Tommie. Nate may not have said it directly but he will be taking the ACT on April 3rd too.

For all the people on this board that love to ask if there is anything new about Tommie qualifying, please realize that until April 3rd absolutely nothing can change in that answer and for about 2 weeks after that there is no way to know how he did besides how he "felt" he did. We will know when we know. I suspect Jalensdad will be the first to know so until I hear it from him, one way or another, its all just speculation.

Keady going to SF seems really strange, not unless he already has a second home or family in the beautiful Bay Area. Likewise, Martin taking over as a BigTen headcoach also seems strange. Why wouldn't Purdue consider Painter, or a Gregory, Crean or Soderberg, all who have previous head coaching experience. A Painter to Purdue and a Martin to SIU seems more likely. SIU would probably go cheap again and that would help Martin's chances. I don't see the Lavin tie at all! I would love a second shot at Matt Shaw now that we are in the A10.

Thanks for clearing that up Kshoe (note sarcasm). I think most people with an ounce of intelligence know enough not to take what is said on this board as fact. What would we talk about if we didn't have speculation, thoughts on recruiting prospects, and rumors to spread? This would be a pretty boring board and probably not exist today. If you don't think Price will come here, fine, but don't call it a stupid conversation...

>not surprised you would say that b-law. not surprised

>either that you wouldn't give your reason for believing

>neither of the players would want to leave to come here.

>let me guess they're both headed to marquette. i'd be

>surprised if martin is the next head coach. he just seems

>too young and inexperienced at this point.

I just said that Price probably wouldn't want out because the main reason he went to Purdue was Cuonzo Martin. Martin probably isn't ready, however, but he'd stay on as the #1 assistant. With Shaw, I think he wants to play close to home and really likes SIU, not just Painter.

Besides, Marquette doesn't have any open scholarhsips and is capped out with 5/8 so it is a moot point.

As for Lavin, he has some sort of Indiana connection, thus the reason his name is coming up.

I believe Martin just finished his fourth year as a Purdue assistant. So Cuonzo is not only responsible for recruiting Xavier Price, but he is also responsible or partially responsible for nearly all of the current Purdue players who's performance apparently has pushed Keady into semi-retirement.

Martin would be a long-shot for the Purdue job, but as a native of East St. Louis, it would be a neat local story if he gets it.

I don't think the current players "pushed" Keady into retirement. Before injuries hit they were at the top of the Big Ten.

I think the loss of Weber, who was the coach in waiting for years, to a conference rival was more of a factor than anything else.

Martin has been at Purdue 4 years? Not all as an assistant, has he?

I shouldn't have called the discussion stupid. Rather, I will say that I fail to see the value of a discussion that has very little possiblity of coming to fruition because: 1) There is absolutely no indication Xavier will not still want to attend Purdue 2) Xavier is no more qualified than Tommie Liddell, a recruit that according to B-Roy we chose to go after instead of Xavier and 3) we have only one scholarship to give and if it doesn't go to a powerforward the coaching staff needs to have their heads examined.

it is my understanding that price's purdue connection is legendary e st louis lincoln standout, counzo martin, who is an old family friend of x's father.

stallings would be idea. especially since his days are quite removed from keady and he has had a really nice year at vandy. winning at vandy is probably tougher than winning at slu since it is buried in the sec.