WASHINGTON ON SCHEDULE?

AGB91

I just watched Porter Moser's press conference and he mentioned that SLU would be playing Washington a home and home.

Can anyone verify this. If true it would really be great.

I trust Porter's word.

He did most of the scheduling, so he should know.

ah, Benedict Romar returning to the Lou. I will be there wearing my brand new turncoat.

Benedict Romar? He returned to his alma mater!!!!

What does he owe SLU???? He took us to the dance, but I feel he was never welcomed fully around here....

Benedict Romar? He returned to his alma mater!!!!

What does he owe SLU???? He took us to the dance, but I feel he was never welcomed fully around here....

He owes us for the 7th grade JV of a coach he left us with.

I'm not a Sodie fan, but even I think that is too harsh. Sodie replaced Randy Bennett, correct? I wonder if Bennett would have gotten our head coaching job if he was still on staff at the time of Romar's departure? We'll never know, but it certainly would have altered the course of SLU bball history.

So Marque Perry was a JV player? Hollins was supposed to show but Sodie trips to West Coast to re-sign him did not work out. Is that Romer's falt?

That team also had Josh Fisher and Chris Sloan. It was good enough for 2 back-to-back NIT invites.

After those players left, nada under Sodie.

If we have a series with Washington I would assume we are going there first, and they'll come here in 12-13. So our non-con schedule is going to be the 76 Classic, SIU, Pacific, @Chicago State, maybe @Duke again, and the rest are buy games? That sucks if so.

If we have a series with Washington I would assume we are going there first, and they'll come here in 12-13. So our non-con schedule is going to be the 76 Classic, SIU, Pacific, @Chicago State, maybe @Duke again, and the rest are buy games? That sucks if so.

If the game is to get Suggs home to play then the game should be here first. I believe Scott Suggs will be a senior next year.

So Marque Perry was a JV player? Hollins was supposed to show but Sodie trips to West Coast to re-sign him did not work out. Is that Romer's falt?

That team also had Josh Fisher and Chris Sloan. It was good enough for 2 back-to-back NIT invites.

Spoon got Marque to commit and then he agreed to honor his commitment to SLU. Marque could have said goodbye to Romar like Hollins did to Brad so Romar gets some credit but not all. Still not convinced that Hollins would have been a difference maker, would have been the guy to open the Romar/West Coast recruiting floodgates, etc. Hollins did not do much for UCLA until his Senior year. Even if Hollins came to SLU, with the Romar losses of Jason Edwin, Randy Pulley, Nick Kern, John Seyfort and Floyd McClain, I doubt Hollins would have stuck around SLU until his Senior year. Hollins was a late developer.

I wasn't calling the players JV. I'm saying I've seen 7th Grade JV coaches would could execute a gameplan better than Soda Burger.

Spoon got Marque to commit and then he agreed to honor his commitment to SLU. Marque could have said goodbye to Romar like Hollins did to Brad so Romar gets some credit but not all. Still not convinced that Hollins would have been a difference maker, would have been the guy to open the Romar/West Coast recruiting floodgates, etc. Hollins did not do much for UCLA until his Senior year. Even if Hollins came to SLU, with the Romar losses of Jason Edwin, Randy Pulley, Nick Kern, John Seyfort and Floyd McClain, I doubt Hollins would have stuck around SLU until his Senior year. Hollins was a late developer.

Hollins signed LOI under Romer, that happened. What your saying is total conjecture. May happen, may not.

I did not see Hollins a lot but I did see him play on national TV when UCLA played Georgetown during his soph year. He started and was the 'Chevey Player of the Game' for that game. Looked plenty good to me.

Also would been nice to have a Bill make it to the NBA. I would say we get one in every decade but during the 2000s we had none.

Hollins signed LOI under Romer, that happened. What your saying is total conjecture. May happen, may not.

I did not see Hollins a lot but I did see him play on national TV when UCLA played Georgetown during his soph year. He started and was the 'Chevey Player of the Game' for that game. Looked plenty good to me.

Also would been nice to have a Bill make it to the NBA. I would say we get one in every decade but during the 2000s we had none.

Jeffers?

I'd rather take a hungry Brad Soderberg step in to rebuild the team than to keep Romar at the helm while the program continued to sink. Sure it's speculation but do you think Romar could have found enough warm bodies to fill are roster along with Hollins? Hollins is one player. Pulley and Edwin had all but flunked out of school. Nick Kern was not coming due to SAT and grades. No way do I think that Romar could have done what Brad did. IMO, Brad's best recruiting was that late Spring when he got Drejaj, Ohanon and Reggie Bryant for the next year. Thereafter, he got TL who had to go to prep school and IV, then the next year he got TL and KL the following year. After that, the wheels seemed to come off.

I'd rather take a hungry Brad Soderberg step in to rebuild the team than to keep Romar at the helm while the program continued to sink. Sure it's speculation but do you think Romar could have found enough warm bodies to fill are roster along with Hollins? Hollins is one player. Pulley and Edwin had all but flunked out of school. Nick Kern was not coming due to SAT and grades. No way do I think that Romar could have done what Brad did. IMO, Brad's best recruiting was that late Spring when he got Drejaj, Ohanon and Reggie Bryant for the next year. Thereafter, he got TL who had to go to prep school and IV, then the next year he got TL and KL the following year. After that, the wheels seemed to come off.

Im not a big Soderberg fan but I agree with you on this.

Im not sure how long it would of taken, if ever, for Romar to build up recruiting ties in the midwest and it was going to be nearly impossible for him to talk his west coast recruits into coming to STL.

Romar is a heck of a coach and recruiter and seems to be really respected within his recuiting circle. I just don't know how long it was going to take for him to build those connections with kids wanting to play in the midwest.

I wasn't calling the players JV. I'm saying I've seen 7th Grade JV coaches would could execute a gameplan better than Soda Burger.

so according to various posts over the past from you, soderberg was a horrible recruiter and he now was also a horrible game coach. yet it would seem to me, that if he couldnt recruit to get the players, and he couldnt coach to win games, his overall record would be worst than the 519 win pct it was during his time here. only one losing season. 6 games over 500. heck majerus is only 8 games over 500 in his time at slu.

it would seem to me you cant have it both ways. for soderberg to have that record with such terrible players he couldnt possibly be a 7th grade jv coach as well.

Romar probably would have gotten us a certain DeSmet grad whose name I won't mention.

IIRC, Reggie Bryant was "recruited" more by Philip Buchanon, a St. Louisan at Villanova, than he was by Brad. Ohanan, Frericks and Ian were great pickups by Soderberg, and Drejaj was good considering how late he was added. It's amazing how quickly things went downhill.

w

Romar probably would have gotten us a certain DeSmet grad whose name I won't mention.

IIRC, Reggie Bryant was "recruited" more by Philip Buchanon, a St. Louisan at Villanova, than he was by Brad. Ohanan, Frericks and Ian were great pickups by Soderberg, and Drejaj was good considering how late he was added. It's amazing how quickly things went downhill.

w

Well they never really got to the top of the hill so they only had to fall half way down it. ;)

so according to various posts over the past from you, soderberg was a horrible recruiter and he now was also a horrible game coach. yet it would seem to me, that if he couldnt recruit to get the players, and he couldnt coach to win games, his overall record would be worst than the 519 win pct it was during his time here. only one losing season. 6 games over 500. heck majerus is only 8 games over 500 in his time at slu.

it would seem to me you cant have it both ways. for soderberg to have that record with such terrible players he couldnt possibly be a 7th grade jv coach as well.

A .519 winning percentage is mediocre at best. You lose almost 50% of your games. Being a SLU fan has helped me see the world in a glass half-empty way. Sorry.