Majerus on Radio in WI

thetorch

Fascinating stuff. Coach Majerus said Marquette and Xavier are mirror images of each other. Coach said Xavier's trouble is against a zone, but Majerus was brought up under man to man coaches Al McGuire and Don Nelson and does not know how to coach or play a zone. Also, he said Xavier has no depth. He still refers to Marquette as "the Warriors." Further, Coach said he considered but decided against playing Belmont, noted Belmont has a disciplinarian type coach and plays 11 players, noted Jacksonville "State" (he was talking about Jacksonville) has a good team.

Trust me folks, I'm a true blue Billiken, and I think SLU is very fortunate to have Rick Majerus as its coach. That remains my opinion. I don't always agree with him, especially about not playing zones, but I still support the Coach. I think we should circle the wagons and support Majerus. He is going to get us there, hopefully next season absent another unforeseen disaster.

RM showed us a glimpse of things to come last year with one of the youngest teams in the country. This year was beyond his control, ie trains, firecrackers, mono, etc. But next year, I don't think anyone's going to be satisfied with anything less than a dance invite. But it still hinges on WR to a large degree. C'mon, Willie, you got a lot of people counting on ya.

RM showed us a glimpse of things to come last year with one of the youngest teams in the country. This year was beyond his control, ie trains, firecrackers, mono, etc. But next year, I don't think anyone's going to be satisfied with anything less than a dance invite. But it still hinges on WR to a large degree. C'mon, Willie, you got a lot of people counting on ya.

With Willie we dance next year.

I still remember the second time I saw Willie play in person, against GW at the new Chaifetz Arena. Willie blocked a shot at one end, ran the floor, and dunked at the other. I commented that we have needed Willie my whole life.

what is up with all of WRs mockdraft comments on his FB page today. Did another future mockdraft list get published?

I wish Majerus could get the Marquette "Warriors" back on SLU's schedule, but all efforts have reportedly been rebuffed.

See Pekin, Illinois for other mascots that unfortunately met their demise with the PC police.

what is up with all of WRs mockdraft comments on his FB page today. Did another future mockdraft list get published?

No sure if this is the reason or not, but NBAdraft.net just updated their mock for 2012 and Willie's name is still on it, but the school by his name changed to Saint Louis after being K-State all year.

No sure if this is the reason or not, but NBAdraft.net just updated their mock for 2012 and Willie's name is still on it, but the school by his name changed to Saint Louis after being K-State all year.

NBAdraft.net rated Willie the 19th best PF in the country. That will get him a contract in Europe.

NBAdraft.net rated Willie the 19th best PF in the country. That will get him a contract in Europe.

I believe he was ranked 8th on that power forward list after last year. I think he may have an outside shot but I think it will require him playing 2 more years at SLU and getting some bigtime national exposure. That means wins and tourney invites. I hoe we see it.

Last time I checked, you still can't "teach" long and tall. Until I see Willie make some sort of jump shot, I don't have him anywhere outside the NBDL or Europe. Well ..... maybe Uruguay. Or China.

Since we're veering off in this thread, is Willie as good as that Sanders kid out of VCU from last year? For the sake of argument, I'd rate them somewhat equal as of the end of last season. I haven't kept close tabs on Sanders, but I believe he cracked the Bucks lineup due to injuries and then was sent down to the D-league. Not sure if he is still there or not.

I guess the point is, Willie would probably be looking at a similar (at best) or worse (likely) fate if he were to come out this year (not sure anyone is suggesting he enters the draft this year) and probably a similar fate after next year unless there was a dramatic improvement in some aspects of his game (6-10 foot jumper, stamina, strength).

I remember your Dad's (and your) last name. What sport did your Dad play? Did he play basketball for Coach Ortwerth, who passed away late last year?

Pops was a catcher for Dewey Kalmer, who then went on to coach at Bradley for a number of years. Uncle Bill Metzinger played both baseball (pitcher) and basketball (forward) for the Hawks from 73-76, I believe. Bill is the head of the board of trustees at QU now. I usually make a trip to the Gem City to see family there over Christmas. Always have a good time.

Majerus apparently was on KFNS this morning:

via a tweet

Coach Majerus on why SLU doesn't play Missouri: "The same reason I'm not dating Cameron Diaz. They're both not returning my calls."