Anyone hear about this kid?

stmdragons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/athletes-of-the-week/article_696e2452-237f-11e0-a12a-0017a4a78c22.html

The 5-10 junior point guard had back-to-back big offensive performances last week. He racked up 26 points in a 70-60 win over Trinity and poured in 33 in a 61-54 victory over St. Pius X. Overall, Connelly is averaging a team-high 18 points and 2.9 assists. As a freshman, he earned first-team all-conference honors in the AAA and was a second-team selection last season. Connelly was a key contributor on St. Mary's Class 2 state-championship soccer team.

If you haven't noticed by my name, I am a recent alum of St. Mary's. I've seen this kid play on a few occasions and he has blown me away everytime. He has great ball handling skills, uncanny ability to penetrate, and has a decent outside shot.

His defense has improved greatly in the time he's been there, and has turned into a solid defender.

Should SLU be interested in this kid? Given the close proximity of St. Mary's and SLU (STM is on South Grand) maybe they would stop by and take a flyer?

Go ahead and flame away but Connelly can definetly play.

Thoughts?

This is a player on which I can vie some perspective. I've played with him (in sports other than basketball), against him in basketball and I've seen him play close to 20 times.

1) Attitude-wise he is far from a RM type player

2) His outside shot is the definition of "janky". He is not and never will be a good shooter.

3) He always drives left. If you watch closely you will almost never see Connelly go right.

4) He is a ball-hog

5) He is 5'8" at best.

That's not to say he isn't a very good high school player. He is incredibly quick, has great leaping ability and can drive left like nobody's business. But it's easy to look good playing against Principia. There is no way SLU should even think about recruiting him and I would be surprised to see him go D1.

This is a player on which I can vie some perspective. I've played with him (in sports other than basketball), against him in basketball and I've seen him play close to 20 times.

2) His outside shot is the definition of "janky". He is not and never will be a good shooter.

3) He always drives left. If you watch closely you will almost never see Connelly go right.

4) He is a ball-hog

5) He is 5'8" at best.

That's not to say he isn't a very good high school player. He is incredibly quick, has great leaping ability and can drive left like nobody's business. But it's easy to look good playing against Principia. There is no way SLU should even think about recruiting him and I would be surprised to see him go D1.

Tell us how you really feel.

4) He is a ball-hog

5) He is 5'8" at best.

Geez, did he take your lunch money in grade school or something?

What questions do you have about his attitude? He is obviously a very skilled player, who, if he worked on his outside shot, could be a valuable assest IMHO.

FYI, he also plays against Cardinal Ritter, the school that billikens.com favorite, Cameron Biedschied (sp?) attends.

4) He is a ball-hog

5) He is 5'8" at best.

6) He kicked a puppy

7) He hates small children

8) He's a Cubs fan

Geez, did he take your lunch money in grade school or something?

What questions do you have about his attitude? He is obviously a very skilled player, who, if he worked on his outside shot, could be a valuable assest IMHO.

FYI, he also plays against Cardinal Ritter, the school that billikens.com favorite, Cameron Biedschied (sp?) attends.

You said let the flaming begin.

I question that he's dedicated, but regardless of his attitude, he's not talented enough to play at SLU.

Last time they played Ritter, Connelly was 5-16 with no assists and his team lost by 23. The time before that he had 11 points and one assist and his team lost by 18.

You asked for thoughts and I gave them. I've seen the kid play a lot and there's a difference between good high school players and D1 players.

Not trying to start a back and forth arguement, but didn't you want Booker at SLU?

The point I'm trying to get across is that this kid is an outstanding player, who I believe could be a good D1 player if he improved his outstide shooting.

I'm going to assume you know something that I don't reagarding his attitude. What have you heard or seen that would indicate that?

Not trying to start a back and forth arguement, but didn't you want Booker at SLU?

The point I'm trying to get across is that this kid is an outstanding player, who I believe could be a good D1 player if he improved his outstide shooting.

I'm going to assume you know something that I don't reagarding his attitude. What have you heard or seen that would indicate that?

It was dumb of me to bring up attitude on this message board. Thats not fair to the kid and I don't have enough insight to say that.

I would still take Anthony Booker at SLU.

I can name 20 guards in St. Louis better than Connelly. He is a very good high school player, but I think outstanding is too far.

SLU is where outside shots come to die, not improve.

It was dumb of me to bring up attitude on this message board. Thats not fair to the kid and I don't have enough insight to say that.

I would still take Anthony Booker at SLU.

I can name 20 guards in St. Louis better than Connelly. He is a very good high school player, but I think outstanding is too far.

I'll give you props for admitting you were wrong on the attitude issue.

Since it seems I'm the minority here, I'll let this topic go.

I have no problem with the evaluation. Level of competition allows lots of HS players to look like all-stars. Not many 5'10" let alone 5'8" players make it in Division I. That is reality. Hope the kids proves me wrong but he better add a few inches.

That is very funny - good laugh, until I realized how true it is...sigh....

the kid sounds like another SLU wannabe like that Blake Ahearne-you know the kid that had to go to MO State and his parents had to drive 500 miles round trip to see him play.

maybe if he works on his free throws-no that didn't help BA he set some kind of record but SLU still wouldn't pay attention

Best advice marry a Lisch or Leuchtefeld and bring your kids back to SLU in 20 yeatrs

He goes to St. Mary's

6) He kicked a puppy

7) He hates small children

8) He's a Cubs fan

9) he likes dudes

10) he is a terrorist

Connelly is a very good high school player and basically IS St. Mary's team, so he has the ball in his hands about 75% of the time and directs everything. He has been starting since his Freshman year and has some skills, especially driving to the basket. No, he does not have a text book shot, but then again, he truly is forced to fire it up as often as he wants. I think he can play at the next level, but he is not as good as Polk was at Vashon. In high school Dwayne had it all (except size), but his offense never got untracked at SLU.

And do kids who go there traditionally have bad attitudes? Sorry, but I'm very proud of my alma mater and I don't appreciate it when someone disrespects it or someone associated with it.

If they learn from Joe Divis or Marko Samardzic they do.