Mitchell Cleared

slufan13

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Kwamain wants to play he should play. I'm not going to tell him no.

If he does play it is a horrible move for the team and program going into the future. Hopefully this is communicated to him.

This all brings up an intesting scenario. What is KM wants to play and RM doesn't want him to play. RM always says he leaves it up to the player. But, this situation is different, because it's not the beginning of the season. What if KM says he's decided to play and RM says fine and then doesn't play him? Could be very interesting. I doubt this will all happen, but who knows what's going through KM's mind?

Excited? I would be infuriated.

Infuriated? It's Kwamain's life, not ours. And it is for Kwamain to decide what is in his best interest, not us. Masters are infuriated when their slaves run off, see Dan Gilbert. I know you didn't mean it that way David but this is how it reads. Disappointed, yes, infuriated, never.

Infuriated? It's Kwamain's life, not ours. And it is for Kwamain to decide what is in his best interest, not us. Masters are infuriated when their slaves run off, see Dan Gilbert. I know you didn't mean it that way David but this is how it reads. Disappointed, yes, infuriated, never.

Masters and slaves? Huh?

I would be infuriated because it isn't good for Mitchell or the program if he wastes a year of eligibility to play for one month. I would be infuriated that those who have influence in Mitchell's life (i.e. parents, coaches, relatives, friends, advisors, professors, etc.) didn't ensure that he made the right decision.

The good news is that from what I understand Mitchell will not play this year so it is a moot point.

that's a pretty serious reach. Did anyone else think it read like that?

Masters and slaves? Huh?

I would be infuriated because it isn't good for Mitchell or the program if he wastes a year of eligibility to play for one month. I would be infuriated that those who have influence in Mitchell's life (i.e. parents, coaches, relatives, friends, advisors, professors, etc.) didn't ensure that he made the right decision.

The good news is that from what I understand Mitchell will not play this year so it is a moot point.

I hope you are right, but I am a little worried that there has not been an official announcement yet. When he was cleared by the NCAA, why not just close the issue and say he is going to redshirt?

I am not sure the is a formal announcement when a player redshirts. I believe it just may require that an eligible player not log any minutes during a non-exhibition game to preserve the year of eligibility. Medical redshirts are a different scenario.

I am not sure the is a formal announcement when a player redshirts. I believe it just may require that an eligible player not log any minutes during a non-exhibition game to preserve the year of eligibility. Medical redshirts are a different scenario.

But the question is why can't a transfer redshirt travel but Kwamain can?

It just seems that if they don't make an announcement, the question about whether KM will redshirt will continue to come up.

Does Barnett travel with the team? Is it possible that by KM not declaring that he is a redshirt at this point, it allows him to continue to travel?

It just seems that if they don't make an announcement, the question about whether KM will redshirt will continue to come up.

Does Barnett travel with the team? Is it possible that by KM not declaring that he is a redshirt at this point, it allows him to continue to travel?

As long as he doesn't play, KM can still be redshirted without any offical declaration happening now. RM said KM wouldn't play unless they were down to 4 players. Not quite an absolute, but pretty close.

i dont think there is any rule that prohibits redshirts and transfers sitting out their year from traveling with the team. if they are not traveling, i would suspect that is slu saving the cost of travel and lodging and meals for the player(s) concerned.

also, "redshirting" is nothing that has to be formally declared. it is just a matter the player doesnt play nonexhibition games for the year and then doesnt use eligibility. and a player can jump into a game at any time without any sort of paperwork or procedure to "activate" them. i believe romar accidentally played a player he was intending to redshirt one year. when that happens though, no turning back the player no longer can redshirt and just used their eligibility for the season. i think that is why most coaches do not dress redshirts.

also, "redshirting" is nothing that has to be formally declared. it is just a matter the player doesnt play nonexhibition games for the year and then doesnt use eligibility. and a player can jump into a game at any time without any sort of paperwork or procedure to "activate" them. i believe romar accidentally played a player he was intending to redshirt one year. when that happens though, no turning back the player no longer can redshirt and just used their eligibility for the season. i think that is why most coaches do not dress redshirts.

You are correct. Even if KM "declared" he is eligible to play and could, so he can travel as he can play.

I don't know if Barnett can travel or not as he cannot play.

I am aware that the redshirt does not have to be formally declared at this point, but by not making a definititve statement, the question will continue to come up in the media. RM will do his radio show tomorrow and likely the question about KM will be asked. RM's statement in the P-D article only talks about tonight's game. The door does not seemed to be closed for KM coming back for the URI game. RM has gone from saying that he would "advise KM not to play, but it is his decision"... to "he has to be cleared by the NCAA first"... to he is not playing against Fordham... none of his statements that I have seen address KM's plans for the rest of the season. Maybe KM has not made a decision yet. Maybe RM wants to keep people guessing? My concern is that KM will want to play against URI.