John Manning

He scored just eight points in Chantilly's last game and is only averaging 10.7 ppg this season.

A recruiting analyst who has seen him a lot lately told me this:

"Wait to see how long it takes him to transfer to a low-major school. He won't last at SLU."

Kind of interesting to hear from such a highly-praised player. Especially since Paul Biancardi (former SLU asst coach and current ESPN National Recruiter) thinks a lot of the kid.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See: Husak, Bryce for more on these lovely experiments in futility.

Bryce with 4 years of Majerus would have been a pretty darn good player. He could absolutely shoot (despite the uninformed groans that went up from the Scottrade crowds whenever he put up a three) and he had both better hands and instincts than given credit for. I have no idea about Manning, but I think work ethic will be the big difference maker. If he has it, he'll be fine. If not, see Thompson, Brett.

Are we actually ripping this kid before he even steps foot on a court? And I thought some of the treatment Loe has gotten on this board had been unfair? Geez...

Yes, it's pretty sad too.

Somebody looks at some stats, knows nothing more and makes a bunch of assumptions.

It was reported that Manning's weight was off and he now weighs 240. An athletic 240, I will take it. I will also trust our coaching staff's review of the kid. As this program builds not all freshman are going to be expected to play lots of minutes their freshman year. Will our coaching staff miss on some players in the future - I am sure they will. But, considering he hasn't even finished his senior year of ball, let's give the kid a break.

I wasn't suggesting that SLU's coaching staff was inaccurate with their read on Manning's talent, I was simply putting forth an opinion from a Baltimore-based recruiting analyst, who has seen him pretty extensively because his AAU squad, Team Takeover, plays in the area often.

Yes, it's pretty sad too.

Somebody looks at some stats, knows nothing more and makes a bunch of assumptions.

It was reported that Manning's weight was off and he now weighs 240. An athletic 240, I will take it. I will also trust our coaching staff's review of the kid. As this program builds not all freshman are going to be expected to play lots of minutes their freshman year. Will our coaching staff miss on some players in the future - I am sure they will. But, considering he hasn't even finished his senior year of ball, let's give the kid a break.