Dear Rick, Porter, etc

TRN

It's obvious that the post-season dreams for 2010-2011 Billiken fans had hoped for in are long gone...

So, PLEASE make sure that Kwamain redshirts this year. Having him and Willie as JRs starting the 2011-2012 season with our returning players will make us strong. Don't screw things up and waste a year of eligibility playing useless games this year. Kwamain will be MUCH more beneficial of playing in 2012-2013 as a 5th year SR and getting the extra games with a full team and practice behind him...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's obvious that the post-season dreams for 2010-2011 Billiken fans had hoped for in are long gone...

So, PLEASE make sure that Kwamain redshirts this year. Having him and Willie as JRs starting the 2011-2012 season with our returning players will make us strong. Don't screw things up and waste a year of eligibility playing useless games this year. Kwamain will be MUCH more beneficial of playing in 2012-2013 as a 5th year SR and getting the extra games with a full team and practice behind him...

+1. Don't worry, they want him to redshirt.

+1. Don't worry, they want him to redshirt.

Agree, totally. 13 or 14 games isn't going to mean squat at this point. Unless KM can put us on his back and win the A-10 tourney, not gonna happen, there is just no good reason for him to play this season. If KM's goal is to play in Europe or elsewhere and earn some cash, he can still opt out of his final year, '12-13', but really he should first see where next year takes him and us before he wastes a full year. Assume for a second that next year would meet expectations, a dance invite, and we make a little noise in the tourney. Think what '12-13 could be with a largely JR-SR team on the court. C'mon, KM, think about it.

I was having a nice morning until I read timmerman's article which made it sound like a 50/50 proposition. What an incredible waste it would be if he plays this year.

That would only help one person's legacy: Majerus' record of never having a "losing season." It would be a completely selfish move on behalf of Majerus if he allowed Kwa' to suit up.

It is in KM's best interest to play this yr.

Then he can play next yr, graduate, then play in Europe and make some money starting in 2012.

If he redshirts and stays another year (in the interests of the university that betrayed him) he is less attractive to pro teams (yr older) and essentially loses a year of income on the back end.

It is outrageous that it is Jan 16th and he is not eligible yet; he should have been eligible Jan 3rd.

Yes, I know, "the process"...

That would only help one person's legacy: Majerus' record of never having a "losing season." It would be a completely selfish move on behalf of Majerus if he allowed Kwa' to suit up.

Its Kwamains decision. The staff can't force him to do anything. Its obvious that the whole staff wants him to red shirt. I think ultimately Mitchell decides to redshirt.

There are some things more important in life than money. If he is good, he will always be able to make money playing ball. Once he leaves, he will NEVER get a chance to play college basketball again, he will never have a chance to be a true undergrad again. You only live once; make smart choices - there are no "do overs" as both Willie and Kwamain now know all too well.

It is in KM's best interest to play this yr.

Then he can play next yr, graduate, then play in Europe and make some money starting in 2012.

If he redshirts and stays another year (in the interests of the university that betrayed him) he is less attractive to pro teams (yr older) and essentially loses a year of income on the back end.

It is outrageous that it is Jan 16th and he is not eligible yet; he should have been eligible Jan 3rd.

Yes, I know, "the process"...

Two things are wrong with your logic:

1) it implies that all U.S. college players would be better off skipping their junior or senior years to play in Europe and making $100-$200k. While I'm all for a player declaring early if he is going to be a first round NBA pick and make millions, declaring early with the knowledge that its only going to lead to a job in Europe is rare. Kwamain's situation is no different.

2) Playing the final 14 games of this season doesn't materially increase his financial value post graduation but it does forgoe his option value on the 5th year. For example, if he plays great next year and decides he wants to go play in Europe then fine. But what if he has a rough year or worse yet gets injured? Having that 5th year to go out and improve his value is worth far more to him that whatever he could prove in 14 games this season

1) it implies that all U.S. college players would be better off skipping their junior or senior years to play in Europe and making $100-$200k. While I'm all for a player declaring early if he is going to be a first round NBA pick and make millions, declaring early with the knowledge that its only going to lead to a job in Europe is rare. Kwamain's situation is no different.

2) Playing the final 14 games of this season doesn't materially increase his financial value post graduation but it does forgoe his option value on the 5th year. For example, if he plays great next year and decides he wants to go play in Europe then fine. But what if he has a rough year or worse yet gets injured? Having that 5th year to go out and improve his value is worth far more to him that whatever he could prove in 14 games this season

Plus, he would have a college degree, to be able to help him after his playing days are over.

mhg

1) Not really... and you assume he is thrilled to stay here a extra 12 months after the way he was treated?

You and I both know Billiken HOF members that did the same thing as KM. Think. (I am assuming he can graduate next spring by taking summer courses... not sure, of course, if he can.)

2) Irrelevant, he could get hurt any time, any yr. He has had 2 excellent yrs, he might be rusty this yr, but likely will be his old self all next yr. Graduate, make some $$$$. Or stay here and get stared at by some of the nutcases on campus? Think.

(Alumni Fan... you are a good poster... but "there are some things in life more important than money". That's rich. You just want a full 2 yrs out of the guy in your own self interest. As a fan, I hope he redshirts, too. I am merely trying to explain that the smart move for him is to play now... AND I also think SLU orchestrated this "process" so that the so called one semester suspension essentially is a one yr suspension)

1) Not really... and you assume he is thrilled to stay here a extra 12 months after the way he was treated?

You and I both know Billiken HOF members that did the same thing as KM. Think. (I am assuming he can graduate next spring by taking summer courses... not sure, of course, if he can.)

2) Irrelevant, he could get hurt any time, any yr. He has had 2 excellent yrs, he might be rusty this yr, but likely will be his old self all next yr. Graduate, make some $$$$. Or stay here and get stared at by some of the nutcases on campus? Think.

1) Yes, I do assume that KM wants to be at SLU. Seems like a safe assumption given that he could have gone anywhere else after the suspension came down but decided to take his punishment and come back. I'm not sure I understand your second sentence. I can't think of any other Billikens that left early to go play in Europe. If you are talking about activities of the incident, what does that have to do with his decision to redshirt or not?

2) Let me put it to you differently since you clearly don't understand the value of an option. How many games would have to be left in this season before you say it doesn't make any sense too come back this year? 1? 5? 10? 14?

Mb it is understanding jan 3rd wasn't an option simply because he was expelled from the school, not suspended from the basketball team. Since he officially isn't a student until classes begin Tuesday, he couldn't play until then.

Mb it is understanding jan 3rd wasn't an option simply because he was expelled from the school, not suspended from the basketball team. Since he officially isn't a student until classes begin Tuesday, he couldn't play until then.

(Alumni Fan... you are a good poster... but "there are some things in life more important than money". That's rich. You just want a full 2 yrs out of the guy in your own self interest. As a fan, I hope he redshirts, too. I am merely trying to explain that the smart move for him is to play now... AND I also think SLU orchestrated this "process" so that the so called one semester suspension essentially is a one yr suspension)

To be honest, it seems that you are letting your own self interest feed your logic. It is obvious that you just want to see him play this season and are using extremely confused logic to justify your position.

Than timmerman and others have been reporting it wrong for a couple weeks as according to them it was in the NCAA hands since shortly after he was reinstated and he could play as soon as the NCAA ruled...

Agree, and yes that is where we are, and what we are told, but it could have been set up differently to begin with. Now we wait for the NCAA. Orchestrated.

To be honest, it seems that you are letting your own self interest feed your logic. It is obvious that you just want to see him play this season and are using extremely confused logic to justify your position.

Wrong.

I do not want him to play this season. Where did I write that? Read what I wrote.

You just make things up.

I do not think that KM playing the remaining games this season is optimal for the program; I think it is optimal for KM to play this yr, graduate next spring, and get paid to play asap rather than stay here.

Read what I wrote.

Wrong.

I do not want him to play this season. Where did I write that? Read what I wrote.

You just make things up.

I do not think that KM playing the remaining games this season is optimal for the program; I think it is optimal for KM to play this yr, graduate next spring, and get paid to play asap rather than stay here.

Read what I wrote.

How would he graduate next spring? He just missed an entire semester of school. Even if he took 9 hours this summer, he'd still be short.

How would he graduate next spring? He just missed an entire semester of school. Even if he took 9 hours this summer, he'd still be short.

I do not know how many hours he needs to graduate. Do you?

I stated that was an issue, and that if he cannot graduate next spring then the decision tree is not the same.

He should get his degree, of course!

I do not know how many hours he needs to graduate. Do you?

I stated that was an issue, and that if he cannot graduate next spring then the decision tree is not the same.

He should get his degree, of course!

I'm assuming he needs four more semesters, like most students who have completed two years of college. Majerus has also said numerous times that Mitchell would need this semester to get back on track in school.

Overall, from a school and basketball standpoint, it does not make sense for him to return right away. But it's his choice and if he truly wants to play right away, then who am I or anybody else to say he shouldn't do that.

roy, is that really the rule? It seems like there are football teams that play games before classes start every year. If that was the rule, then no freshmen could play in a football game before classes started.

KM wouldn't be leaving "early", he'd be leaving on time. That's a big difference, IMO. Do you think KM has anything to gain financially by redshirting this season (beyond maybe getting a diploma)? I'm just trying to understand your position here.