Majerus on 101espn

StlBills

It has only been 4 years.

RM has been very well behaved this year considering the position 4 of his players got into. WR, JJ, KM, JS are not playing because of their behavior as student athletes.

RM has not whined about it in public like he did over the flying to games deal last year.

RM has stuck to a game plan of coaching up those who show up to play.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RM has been very well behaved this year considering the position 4 of his players got into. WR, JJ, KM, JS are not playing because of their behavior as student athletes.

RM has not whined about it in public like he did over the flying to games deal last year.

RM has stuck to a game plan of coaching up those who show up to play.

+1

Put in the same situation, I would be very ill-tempered during the course of this season. I'm sure, like us, Majerus had lofty expectations for this season (even though he is an expert at tempering them), and was extremely disappointed by the loss of his two best players.

With that said, this is the first interview in the past year where I've heard Majerus get a little testy with the interviewer. He's due at least one freebie

I don't think it is odd at all that Rammer doesn't interview RM after the games ...

Not sure why you got pissy but if you have listened to RM interviewed by Frank Cusumano and then see the lack of rapport between RM and Rammer, it's a logical insinuation that Rick is not fond of Rammer. Saying our coach is an invalid doesn't change the fact that he refuses to do post game interviews with the team's long-time radio voice and further has as little to do as possible with said long time radio voice. This is odd, period. No "maybe this" or "it could be that", it's odd. That was my only point. I'm glad Rick is our coach and admire the way he has soldiered on this season despite adversity from the University, and further believe he will ultimately be successful at SLU. But there is no need to deny the obvious. Rick is a strange old dude who is set in his ways. Doesn't make him a bad person. He is who he is.

Sorry, Cheese. But here in Charleston they've got Cremmins as HC at CofC. He's not had great success here, like he did at GT, but the guys affable, available, and well liked by the fans and media. Similar situation to RM, who too many times comes off as aloof, isolated, and unapproachable. The guy makes a ton of $$ and should realize it's for more than just recruiting and drawing X and O's on a chalk board. Still, I think he's what we need to become a relevant viable program. Just wish he'd go about it with a little more enthusiasm when he's in the public eye. Remember, his real objective is to put a**es in Chaifetz's seats. Sometimes I get the feeling he's not as committed as he should be. But admittedly you locals know a lot more than I do.

Are you telling me that I am wrong - I took no issues with your post only the fact that it has been 4 years not 5.

could someone give us a clue as to why rickma doesnt like bob ramsey? i will hang up and listen.

Because of the 50 foot golden Rammer monument out in front of Chaifetz...Rickma feels it's a bit tacky...

I thought the interview was pretty funny. Everyone knows he's not the best at answering some of those questions and I could see his point for getting a little upset. I loved at the end when he said something to the extent of "good thing this is or sponsor station, no telling what kind of stuff I'd have to answer if it wasn't." haha.

I think some of you guys are imagining that Majerus has a beef with Rammer. He's just testy, always.

I don't blame Majerus for the suspension, I don't hold the injuries against him. However, I come from the Army mentality that as the leader you have to overcome whatever it is that comes your way. Soderberg didn't overcome his own limitations and so far Majerus isn't overcoming these outside obstacles. Soderberg is gone. Majerus makes a hell of a lot more and has a $80Mil facility so expectations are higher. The quirkiness is not endearing if you aren't winning. I'm not advocating getting rid of him, that would set SLU back, but if in 2 more seasons nothing has happened it is time for him to go back and take care of mother. We can miss the tournament without having to pay $1mil/yr.

Fair is fair. We criticized Brad, and I think rightfully so, no free ride for Majerus based on a 1998 finals run with another school.

I think some of you guys are imagining that Majerus has a beef with Rammer. He's just testy, always.

I don't blame Majerus for the suspension, I don't hold the injuries against him. However, I come from the Army mentality that as the leader you have to overcome whatever it is that comes your way. Soderberg didn't overcome his own limitations and so far Majerus isn't overcoming these outside obstacles. Soderberg is gone. Majerus makes a hell of a lot more and has a $80Mil facility so expectations are higher. The quirkiness is not endearing if you aren't winning. I'm not advocating getting rid of him, that would set SLU back, but if in 2 more seasons nothing has happened it is time for him to go back and take care of mother. We can miss the tournament without having to pay $1mil/yr.

Fair is fair. We criticized Brad, and I think rightfully so, no free ride for Majerus based on a 1998 finals run with another school.

I think it's fair to have high expecations for Rick. He has the same expecations for himself.

I don't think you can argue, however, that he doesn't have the program heading in the right direction. For example, let's say you were a new coach who came next year with a roster of Cassity and Conklin as seniors, Reed, Michell, Ellis, Salecich and Remekun as juniors, Loe, Ellis, Jett, McCall, and Barnett as sophomores, and the new freshman. That's a tournament team, and it's a hell of a lot better than what Rick inherited when he took over. He's doing the job and earning his money.

I think it's fair to have high expecations for Rick. He has the same expecations for himself.

I don't think you can argue, however, that he doesn't have the program heading in the right direction. For example, let's say you were a new coach who came next year with a roster of Cassity and Conklin as seniors, Reed, Michell, Ellis, Salecich and Remekun as juniors, Loe, Ellis, Jett, McCall, and Barnett as sophomores, and the new freshman. That's a tournament team, and it's a hell of a lot better than what Rick inherited when he took over. He's doing the job and earning his money.

Exactly.

He is frustrated, and has a right to be so, because this yr we would have been NCAA bound, next yr even more promising, but we are back to being work in progress (6th youngest team in NCAA). Almost starting over. Bigs should have been: 6'9" Reed, 6'11" Loe, 6'8" Ellis, 6'8" Remekum, 6'6' Conklin... with 6'11" Manning on the way.

We have never been in this position with so many quality / diverse talented BIGS.

If both expelled players get back in, then next yr is VERY promising; Top 25-30 potential. If they do not get back in, will RM stay?

Exactly.

He is frustrated, and has a right to be so, because this yr we would have been NCAA bound, next yr even more promising, but we are back to being work in progress (6th youngest team in NCAA). Almost starting over. Bigs should have been: 6'9" Reed, 6'11" Loe, 6'8" Ellis, 6'8" Remekum, 6'6' Conklin... with 6'11" Manning on the way.

We have never been in this position with so many quality / diverse talented BIGS.

If both expelled players get back in, then next yr is VERY promising; Top 25-30 potential. If they do not get back in, will RM stay?

I believe he has all intentions of completing his 6 year contract - he said this when he came.

I believe he has all intentions of completing his 6 year contract - he said this when he came.

Yes, but it is not in granite. I hope he stays and extends another 6 years... but if SLU screws this up again, and somehow one or both kids do not get back in, I fear he will leave. Just speculation, no rumors, just that he built the team from the ground up and was on schedule for some great things, but now it is set back for 2 yrs or so if the two kids do not get back in... and the "DuBourg Hall" decision machine is proably a bit irritating to him as it has been to all of us. Ya think?

Exactly.

The above is true. I'm sure he's po'd beyond belief. No charges filed. A kangaroo court. Donor influence? Who knows. He was done in by some floozy who had connections and second regrets about a drunk evening. If this had happened at most schools it would have disappeared long before now. A one or two game suspension during exhibition games at the most. SLU just didn't know how to handle it. And there's little doubt we'd be 6-0 going into Duke with a lot more optimism than we have now.

I was shocked at what Majerus considered an "ambush" by Bob, was one of the first questions that came up at the Billken Club Meeting the night before & the next day was the headline of the Billiken story in the Post.

Agreed. That was a weird comment. The only way one could argue its about money is that MSU decided they need more home "buy" games for financial reasons and wanted to drop one of their home and homes.

kshoe and TNMSUFAN, not a weird comment. Ever since the last 3-game SLU-Mizzou series ended, SLU's coaches (Romar, Soderberg, and Majerus have all privately and publicly said so), we set a date on the calendar aside for Mizzou and give them as long as possible to accept, but they never have. Word from Mizzou is that A. They won't do a home-and-home or home-and-home-and-neutral series, but only a 2-for-1 and B. They did not like the financial terms of the series. I'm not talking about travel expenses, which I would never accept as a valid reason for not playing good games.

I don't know if Mizzou thinks they should be paid, paid more, spend less for the series- don't know the exact amounts or who would be paying who. But I've heard a lot of places that they didn't like SLU's offer and neither side has budged.