Griffey at Illinois

Billiken75

He is a decent ball player but, he may be in over his head in the Big Ten. Illinois is playing the big freshman Leonard more than they are Griffey. He may eventually become a good player however, he is rather slow and he may have been recruited over already. He is a decent three point shooter and can be a good player if he has other big men around him who are strong rebounders In high school he seemed to regress from his junior year to his senior year. Some local players think they have the talent to play on some of the big name teams not understanding those teams are constantly upgrading their talent. The coach may eventually give him more playing time.

He is a decent ball player but, he may be in over his head in the Big Ten. Illinois is playing the big freshman Leonard more than they are Griffey. He may eventually become a good player however, he is rather slow and he may have been recruited over already. He is a decent three point shooter and can be a good player if he has other big men around him who are strong rebounders In high school he seemed to regress from his junior year to his senior year. Some local players think they have the talent to play on some of the big name teams not understanding those teams are constantly upgrading their talent. The coach may eventually give him more playing time.

Sure we'd have a spot for him. But he's a JR now, right?

imo he is too soft to play pf in the big ten and he is too slow to play a wing. he made a mistake going to illinois.

We don't need another skinny, finesse player. Assuming Willie doesn't come back, use that scholarship in the spring to try to find the best rebounding big we can find.

I totally, totally, totally agree! Some on this board have been saying for some time now that we need some bigs who are wide bodies who are strong rebounders and are at least a threat to score inside. Even as RM was signing guards we were saying this. But, it turns out we needed the guards. Now we MUST get a big or two who are not projects. Most tournament teams have big, strong front court players who rebound well.

Having watched every Illinois game this season, Griffey got some decent playing time early in the year. It's just a tough spot for him right now. He's behind Tisdale and Mike Davis who are both seniors. Then the Illini have Meyers Leonard and Jereme Richmond who are two highly recruited freshman. Griffey will continue to see some time when the matchups are right and when the others get in foul trouble. He actually hit a couple of big shots this year for the Illini early on. I'd have to think that heading into next year he'll see some more minutes, but not sure he'll be a starter at Illinois.

I was watching some of the Illini vs. North Carolina. I was curious to why Griffey isn't playing much. I always thought he had a good game. Any insights?

Tisdale, Cole, Davis etc...experience, similar skill sets. Griffey is only a Soph and he's had sporadic play his first year plus. Eventually the game will slow down for him more. With some graduation, he'll get his chance the final two seasons...even though the likes of Mike Shaw etc...will be coming in...

At this point he's a role player on a top 25 team as a Soph.

Defending the post, improving footwork and matching the pace of the game are key points of emphasis for him.

Whether or not going to Illinois is or was a mistake is only up to Tyler based on what he wants out of his college experience. And, as a Soph, waaay too early for that kind of talk.

Some kids have no problem being a role player on an elite team as opposed to being more of the man on a smaller playing level.

I know I'd choose being a role player on a top 25 team over much more playing time at a mch lower level. But everyone is different.