Slu Girls basketball....really?

Torchhater

teresa was already graduated and not only got married, she played professionally last year as well. it is doubtful she would have played in the wnba, so in reality she reached her basketball peak and moved on appropriately. while disappointing for shimmmy and the slu fandom, teresa did what was right for her.

I agree. I wasn't blaming Theresa, just stating the fact that her leaving really hurt. I believe the ladies were on the verge of their best season in years and Theresa was the best player in the A10.

In regards to Hughes leaving being almost the same ... except that the team made the 2nd round of the tourney the year he left and the Bills had a few recent tourney years also. The ladies are trying to dig out from oblivion.

Kevin Lisch graduated a year early and then went to the Business Graduate Program. Theresa could have done the same.

at the same time, i know the lisch family and i really respect them. i saw kevin and theresa play many times during their high school and college careers and they have to be one of the best families ever to go through slu especially athletically. they are great people and i know that theyve done a lot for slu.

at the same time, i know the lisch family and i really respect them. i saw kevin and theresa play many times during their high school and college careers and they have to be one of the best families ever to go through slu especially athletically. they are great people and i know that theyve done a lot for slu.

I respect the family as well. They are great people. However IMO if a coach has to fulfill a commitment to the players as roy as said previously a player should also have to honor the same sort of commitment

DOUBLE ###### STANDARD!!!!! If a player runs off they have no responsibility to the coach or team in your mind but a coach has a responsibility to keep that player for four years. By your logic theresa should have told shimmy right off the bat she was only going to be around for 3 seasons.

It was deeper than that though. She and Shimmy didn't see eye-to-eye. At all.

As someone who has dealt with Shimmy and the team every year since she's been here, I've always been a big fan of hers and am not ready to jump off the bandwagon just yet. The ladies were ready for a breakout season in what would have been Amanda's, Katie's (I believe) and Theresa's Sr. year.

Yeah, and add Amy Klotz to that mix....

It was deeper than that though. She and Shimmy didn't see eye-to-eye. At all.

Not doubting you, but everytime Shimmy spoke to my team she raved on Theresa and her work ethic. Sometimes it seemed as if she referred to Theresa when answering question as if Theresa was her Andre Miller.

Not doubting you, but everytime Shimmy spoke to my team she raved on Theresa and her work ethic. Sometimes it seemed as if she referred to Theresa when answering question as if Theresa was her Andre Miller.

The original argument that she "owned" anything to Shimmy seems ludicrous, IMO. College coaches jump ship all the time to do what's in their own self-interest, and Theresa was simply doing the same. I see nothing wrong with that.

The original argument that she "owned" anything to Shimmy seems ludicrous, IMO. College coaches jump ship all the time to do what's in their own self-interest, and Theresa was simply doing the same. I see nothing wrong with that.

I brought Theresa up and never implied she owed anything to Shimmy. Imo she made the best decision for herself, and as you said, coaches do it all the time. My only point wasn't whether Theresa was right or wrong, just the fact that it was a huge setback for a team thet had been on the outskirts of oblivion forever and looked to finally have a good year.

I was surprised to hear they didn't get along though as every time I heard Shimmy speak, she raved on Theresa's work ethic, academics, and what an overall outstanding person Theresa was.

I brought Theresa up and never implied she owed anything to Shimmy. Imo she made the best decision for herself, and as you said, coaches do it all the time. My only point wasn't whether Theresa was right or wrong, just the fact that it was a huge setback for a team thet had been on the outskirts of oblivion forever and looked to finally have a good year.

I was surprised to hear they didn't get along though as every time I heard Shimmy speak, she raved on Theresa's work ethic, academics, and what an overall outstanding person Theresa was.

No, no. Sorry to make it seem that way. I didn't mean you implied that at all.

I respect the family as well. They are great people. However IMO if a coach has to fulfill a commitment to the players as roy as said previously a player should also have to honor the same sort of commitment

you are twisting my words to a degree. i think the player who has not even begun their life, deserves the "what's right for them." i dont think a coach who already has a career and just wants to use the player for what fits their scheme should be able to infer a promise and then not fulfill that promise because the player didnt turn out to be the player they expected. and it is even worse if the coach doesnt use the player as promised or turns out to be different than what the player envisioned.

on the other hand, a coach has the opportunity to coach and develop the players. in most cases they promised the student athlete they indeed would do just that. then because that player didnt quite develop that way or because they have a chance to sign a player with more potential they want to take that away? and you think that is fair?

in the player's case, they rarely have any options. if they want to leave, they forfeit a year of eligibility and normally throw away their redshirt option year to leave. they also put themselves in a poor position many times to make a good deal. a lot of coaches wont help them find a good situation and god forbid they actually hamper the player wanting to move on.

now i have always said if the student athlete isnt holding up their end of the bargain from a student standpoint and not doing the job in class or if the student athlete is not being a good citizen and causing trouble on the team, on campus or in the community, but all means should the coach be able to send that player on their way.

teresa knew she wasnt a wnba player. she got the degree she wanted and it wasnt her priority to get a masters. she love playing basketball, but it was a higher priority to marry the man she loved (sorry jimbo that must hurt) and help him fulfill his dream of professional basketball in europe. while in austria she got a chance to play pro ball for a year as well before suffering a career ending ankle injury. it would have been horrible as well if she never got that opportunity to play professionally. one never knows when that injury is/was going to occur.

sorry 05. i am being very consistent. i am all about giving the good student athlete the experience they were promised and envisioned. and if that experience changes, so be it. the student deserves the opportunity to take whatever they can and move on. guess what, if they do, the coach gets a new scholarship to use for another player.

now if it goes the other way and the coach pulls the rug on the player simply because they turned out not to be good enough, guess what, that player is moving down. and since we are talking about saint louis university, that means likely moving down in academic level as well as basketball.

i just dont see how that is fair or consistent to the player.

think of it this way 05, your department chair just found a better student. next month you have to leave slu and the only school that now wants you is austin peay. have fun in clarksville.

think of it this way 05, your department chair just found a better student. next month you have to leave slu and the only school that now wants you is austin peay. have fun in clarksville.

And you have to sit out a year.

If Shimmy can't get along with the best women's player they've ever had that's a problem. If there were a better relationship, TL could have been in grad school or working on another degree. It was only 1 more year. I know she got married, but she also had the rest of her life to be married.

In any case, Shimmy hasn't gotten it done and it's not like Lisch is the only player who has walked away from the program. She's simply the best player who has walked away.

I agree. I wasn't blaming Theresa, just stating the fact that her leaving really hurt. I believe the ladies were on the verge of their best season in years and Theresa was the best player in the A10.

In regards to Hughes leaving being almost the same ... except that the team made the 2nd round of the tourney the year he left and the Bills had a few recent tourney years also. The ladies are trying to dig out from oblivion.

Hughes also had millions of dollars in medical bills piling up.

Theresa was a very good player, best female player at SLU probably ever. But she was not the best player in the A-10. Far from it. She may have made the 2nd team all conference. Xavier last year had 3 or 4 players as good as she was, one of them was an All American. Even with her that team may not have made the postseason. Please don't make her out to be Jackie Stiles, she wasn't leading the Billikens to the final four anytime soon.

Theresa being our best women's player in the history of the program says volumes about the level the women play at. I'm fine with Shimmy as long as she makes consistent progress. The women's program has never had any talent or any tradition of winning basketball. It is a very very long process to overcome that.

Theresa was a very good player, best female player at SLU probably ever. But she was not the best player in the A-10. Far from it. She may have made the 2nd team all conference. Xavier last year had 3 or 4 players as good as she was, one of them was an All American. Even with her that team may not have made the postseason. Please don't make her out to be Jackie Stiles, she wasn't leading the Billikens to the final four anytime soon.

Theresa being our best women's player in the history of the program says volumes about the level the women play at. I'm fine with Shimmy as long as she makes consistent progress. The women's program has never had any talent or any tradition of winning basketball. It is a very very long process to overcome that.

+1

I went to the Xavier-SLU women's game last year at Cintas Center and Xavier won by over 40. It really felt like an exhibition between a D-I and NAIA team, just not even the same level of talent. Xavier has Amber Harris and Ta'Shia Phillips; Harris was first-team All American and Phillips was Honorable Mention. They are 6-5 and 6-6, respectively, and are both seniors this year. Xavier missed the Final Four by two points, as top-seeded Stanford hit a buzzer beater to win.

SLU has never had talent even close to Phillips or Harris.

I don't blame Theresa and see the appeal of graduating early, leaving a lackluster program, and tromping around Europe with her pro basketball player husband. Shimmy can say whatever she wants about it- and the cookies comment was kind of funny- but she can't allow her program to rely on one player, especially when that player would barely be a starter on another team in the same conference. The program has a long way to go and it's going to take consecutive strong classes, not just one very good player.

+1

I went to the Xavier-SLU women's game last year at Cintas Center and Xavier won by over 40. It really felt like an exhibition between a D-I and NAIA team, just not even the same level of talent. Xavier has Amber Harris and Ta'Shia Phillips; Harris was first-team All American and Phillips was Honorable Mention. They are 6-5 and 6-6, respectively, and are both seniors this year. Xavier missed the Final Four by two points, as top-seeded Stanford hit a buzzer beater to win.

SLU has never had talent even close to Phillips or Harris.

Do your homework about how these two ended up at Xavier before you speak. 3 bigtime players were committed to another program and once that coach bolted for another program...all 3 "buddies" bailed...rumor has it that they attempted to enroll at Dayton, but 2 weren't academically qualified...not sure how they ended up at Xavier, but they did...now, 2 more players from major D1 programs (TN and Marq) have transferred to Xavier. The coach is too new to have a track record to draw these types of players...not sure how he is doing it nor will I speculate, but one has to wonder!

Do your homework about how these two ended up at Xavier before you speak. 3 bigtime players were committed to another program and once that coach bolted for another program...all 3 "buddies" bailed...rumor has it that they attempted to enroll at Dayton, but 2 weren't academically qualified...not sure how they ended up at Xavier, but they did...now, 2 more players from major D1 programs (TN and Marq) have transferred to Xavier. The coach is too new to have a track record to draw these types of players...not sure how he is doing it nor will I speculate, but one has to wonder!

What does that have to do with anything? Why does it matter how they got to Xavier? Are you implying that the success of Xavier's women's team and these two players doesn't count because they weren't originally going to sign with Xavier?

The point is that Xavier has 2 All-Americans and beat SLU by 42 last year before coming within a basket of the Final Four, and that the player (Lisch) that some call the best in women's history would at best be the third-best player on that team (they have nice guards, too, though). I couldn't care less how they wound up there; they've played out their careers at XU and lifted them to some big-time success.

I'm guessing you're a Dayton fan based on the illogic and bizarre writing style.

She was 1st team all conference her Jr. year and I believe led the conference in scoring. Also 2 of the 5 1st team girls in '08-'09 were Sr.'s.

I won't get in argument about whether she was the best player in the conference, I thought she was, but easily could be wrong. However, she certainly wasn't far from it and your statement that she may have made the 2nd team all conference was certainly wrong.

And ... lets not go to extremes to make your point. I didn't say anything close to she was Jackie Stiles or that she was leading her team to the final four. She was the best player on her team and if not the best player in the A10, she was certainly close as she led the league in scoring and made 1st team A10 as a Jr.

What does that have to do with anything? Why does it matter how they got to Xavier? Are you implying that the success of Xavier's women's team and these two players doesn't count because they weren't originally going to sign with Xavier?

The point is that Xavier has 2 All-Americans and beat SLU by 42 last year before coming within a basket of the Final Four, and that the player (Lisch) that some call the best in women's history would at best be the third-best player on that team (they have nice guards, too, though). I couldn't care less how they wound up there; they've played out their careers at XU and lifted them to some big-time success.

I'm guessing you're a Dayton fan based on the illogic and bizarre writing style.

My point is that Xavier fell into these 5 transfers (3 all americans) and it wasn't due to great recuiting.

No, I'm not a fan of Dayton nor am I a fan of lunatics with way too much time on their hands.