Guy Phillips is an embarrassment to the University

Billikan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to a Pasta House last night. Saw the sign for the "Guy Phillips Pasta of the Month." I didn't pay too much attention to it because I had no interest in ordering it, but I think that in his honor they should at least screw up the name of the pasta on the sign.

Their "Guy Phillips Pasta of the Month" this month is Veal Parmigiana.

I went to a Pasta House last night. Saw the sign for the "Guy Phillips Pasta of the Month." I didn't pay too much attention to it because I had no interest in ordering it, but I think that in his honor they should at least screw up the name of the pasta on the sign.

Will never happen. Tucci and Phil Guylips are friends.

I was a witness to this entire situation from a close distance and the fan was yelling at the refs but I could not hear--nor could the refs hear what he was saying--basically it was that the refs had handed the game to AP by calling the foul with 4 seconds left. Phillips, in an incredibly unprofessional way, got out of his announcer's chair and got right in the fan's face and told the fan to sit down and shut up. Another fan told him he should sit down and be an annnouncer and leave the fan alone. He challenged that fan to a fight and told him he was going to kick his ass. Phillips acted like he owned the arena. The whole thing was absolutely ridiculous. He is not a policeman. I have seen him in the past yell at fans who stand up and yell at the refs or get excited. He is not a Billiken fan, he is just a lame comedian with a huge ego who does not prep for the games and knows nothing about basketball. It is time for him to go!!!!!

Spot on. Longtime board reader, recent alum, and I am the fan in question here (though this is my buddy's account name). I was seated right behind Guy in the front row and as soon as the final buzzer sounded the refs came over to the scorer's table. At this point I was pretty animated/still in disbelief/livid about what a terrible call that was, how they handed over the game, etc. I did briefly use profanity - "that's the worst f------ call I have ever seen", I believe, but prior to that had kept everything else during the game PG/and was actually fairly quiet. All of a sudden Phillips quickly stood up, turned around, and yelled "sit down and shut up" while pointing at me. I didn't, and he took a step towards me and grabbed me by the collar, totally crazy. Next the fan seated behind me, a gentleman around 50-60 years old, came to my aid as described above by Billikan. I yelled a few more things at Guy (try getting the players names correct, learn how to do your job) who was now busy threatening/screaming at this other gentleman, before I exited without an incident or "scuffle with security" that I think someone else mentioned. The whole scene was pretty unbelievable, you would have thought the ref who made the call was his son or something.

I also know someone who works at Chaifetz/for the University, and was told afterwords that they had to spend 2-3 hours reviewing the tape of what happened and going over the incident, though I'm not sure if anything came from this.

Spot on. Longtime board reader, recent alum, and I am the fan in question here (though this is my buddy's account name). I was seated right behind Guy in the front row and as soon as the final buzzer sounded the refs came over to the scorer's table. At this point I was pretty animated/still in disbelief/livid about what a terrible call that was, how they handed over the game, etc. I did briefly use profanity - "that's the worst f------ call I have ever seen", I believe, but prior to that had kept everything else during the game PG/and was actually fairly quiet. All of a sudden Phillips quickly stood up, turned around, and yelled "sit down and shut up" while pointing at me. I didn't, and he took a step towards me and grabbed me by the collar, totally crazy. Next the fan seated behind me, a gentleman around 50-60 years old, came to my aid as described above by Billikan. I yelled a few more things at Guy (try getting the players names correct, learn how to do your job) who was now busy threatening/screaming at this other gentleman, before I exited without an incident or "scuffle with security" that I think someone else mentioned. The whole scene was pretty unbelievable, you would have thought the ref who made the call was his son or something.

I also know someone who works at Chaifetz/for the University, and was told afterwords that they had to spend 2-3 hours reviewing the tape of what happened and going over the incident, though I'm not sure if anything came from this.

If nothing else he should be fired for this.

If nothing else he should be fired for this.

The amazing thing about all of this, and this account is completely accurate, is that Phillips thinks he can get away with it. When told that he should leave the fan alone, his response was to threaten the person who was trying to intervene. He is a joke as an announcer and his attitude is incredibly insulting and he should be fired!

I have personally had it with Phillips and his constant mistakes and lack of preparation. As an announcer, in my opinion, he is an absolute joke.

I am going to do what I can to get the powers that be to understand how bad he is and how he must go!

The board does not agree on everything--but it seems to me we are all agreed on this one subject. Please everyone, if you agree with my opinion, start an email barrage to the Athletic Dept about this guy and ask every fan you know to bombard the Athletic Dept with complaints. I believe we can make a difference!

Go Bills!

Billikan, I agree. Guy shows a lack of professionalism by coming to the games unprepared. I think Chris Brose would be a nice replacement. I know he said before that he is not looking to push Guy out but I think he would fit in nicely. Maybe his name should be mentioned in the emails suggesting a change in the PA position. I thought he was great when he replaced Guy shortly last year.

If I were you I'd take this up with the Athletic Dept. That's your call, but if that was me, I would not be happy with someone grabbing me by the collar because I yelled at a ref. Should profanity have been used? Of course not. That still does not give anyone the right to do what he did. Totally ridiculous.

If I were you I'd take this up with the Athletic Dept. That's your call, but if that was me, I would not be happy with someone grabbing me by the collar because I yelled at a ref. Should profanity have been used? Of course not. That still does not give anyone the right to do what he did. Totally ridiculous.

+1

Phillips assaulted you. There must be a dozen STLPD in the building game nights. He should have been arrested no matter what you said.

The author of the @NotGuyfillups twitter account is a genius.

I was sitting DIRECTLY in-front of the fan in question as I was sitting on press row, and he was repeatedly leaning far over the railing to yell profane remarks at the referees. I guess Guy had heard enough of it and turned around out of his chair and said, "Sit down and shut up". Phillips and the fan had seemingly made amends, but an elderly man came down and said, "You don't tell fans what to do". He was absolutely infuriated. The game was over at this point and I just took my stuff and got out of there once Chuck (SLU Athletic Dept) called for security.

It's up to individual interpretation, in my opinion, if Phillips had the right to scold the fan, but I was just giving my viewpoint.

I was sitting DIRECTLY in-front of the fan in question as I was sitting on press row, and he was repeatedly leaning far over the railing to yell profane remarks at the referees. I guess Guy had heard enough of it and turned around out of his chair and said, "Sit down and shut up". Phillips and the fan had seemingly made amends, but an elderly man came down and said, "You don't tell fans what to do". He was absolutely infuriated. The game was over at this point and I just took my stuff and got out of there once Chuck (SLU Athletic Dept) called for security.

It's up to individual interpretation, in my opinion, if Phillips had the right to scold the fan, but I was just giving my viewpoint.

If Fillups touched the fan than he was out of line. He has no right to scold the fan personally, he should call security. This isn't ;'Nam, BW. There are rules.

Got it from right here.