Scholarships and Recruiting

bk18

I did some Australian Basketball research, not much considering I didn't pay for any subscription stuff. But it looks like if we get an Aussie, the player will be from the top roster here:

http://www.australiabasket.com/Australia/basketball-National-Team.asp?Age=18

From the little research that I have done: this Hugh Greenwood guy seems to be the current u19 captain. He's a 6'2'' G. He played on the U19 team with Cody and Cristan (their spelling) and was the only player in his class to play up. I don't know how many shots this stat involves, but he shot 61.5% from 3 point land last year while playing a year up wtih Cody and Cristan.

He would replace KC after he graduates. I think Rick will look for bigs (in addition to Manning) in the US for 2012 (like Phillip Nolan and Jordan Granger)

Other guess: 6' 8.5'' F Daniel Trist.

Summary:

2011:

-John Manning (probable) - C

-Hugh Greenwood - SG

-Otto Porter - PF

2012:

-Jordan Granger - PF

-Phillip Nolan - PF/C

-Wally Ellenson - SG

-Patrick Ingram - SG

* everyone but John Manning is mere speculation

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He did not specify. Just said that he thought they would get him and that he needed to get over there because of it.

When Manning signs we could have a 7' center and a 6'11" pf who start together. As a Billiken fan, that is something I never even dared to dream about. A 7' inside banger and a 6'11" pf who shoots the 3.

When Manning signs we could have a 7' center and a 6'11" pf who start together. As a Billiken fan, that is something I never even dared to dream about. A 7' inside banger and a 6'11" pf who shoots the 3.

I'm pumped about that too Skip but I think they both need to grow into their bodies (as almost all bigs do). This team will be very talented in a few years if Majerus can hold the nucleus together. We were saying the same thing about how talented the team would be when Willie and Kwamain were juniors ... .

p.s. I was encouraged that Rick said MM would start against Austin Peay. That tells me McCall has figured out that defensive effort is the way to get minutes with RM. The only upside to Kwamain sitting out the first semester is that McCall will get heavy minutes at PG. Will we see improvement in his play this season? I hope so.

I'm pumped about that too Skip but I think they both need to grow into their bodies (as almost all bigs do). This team will be very talented in a few years if Majerus can hold the nucleus together. We were saying the same thing about how talented the team would be when Willie and Kwamain were juniors ... .

p.s. I was encouraged that Rick said MM would start against Austin Peay. That tells me McCall has figured out that defensive effort is the way to get minutes with RM. The only upside to Kwamain sitting out the first semester is that McCall will get heavy minutes at PG. Will we see improvement in his play this season? I hope so.

I was thinking more along the lines of Manning's soph year, not his freshman, but you never know. I thought Manning was already 240 or 250.

I was thinking more along the lines of Manning's soph year, not his freshman, but you never know. I thought Manning was already 240 or 250.

Yeah I heard 240 as well but Loe is also listed at 240 to give some perspective. We'll see what Manning looks like when he arrives on campus next fall. Hope he pounds the weights over the summer.

Yeah, no kidding. And, don't forget about CR in the mix as time goes by (or even another to-be-recruited big) Perhaps quite the frontline.

I don't think Rick sees Manning being a starter for awhile if ever. I think he was recruited as a backup.

With Majerus track record with big men I think he looks as Manning as a kid who is 6'11 and one day could be a huge force for the Bills.

He has shown he can turn bigs into great college players and I would bet he believes he can do it with Manning as well.

He may not see him as a starter right away but Im sure he believes he will start and contribute a great deal before his time is up at SLU.

You cant teach height but Majerus has shown he can teach the game to the guys who have that size.

That's retarded. You don't recruit players to be a back up. You recruit them in a hope that they will one day start and make an impact.

You recruit talent. But you also have to be realistic with that talent. The ideal is, you recruit players to step in and learn from the older players and then take their roles in the future.

Most of the people Duke recruits, they don't recruit to start immediately.

|12.|Ronnie Johnson|Point guard|5-10|North Central|Johnson is one of the best pure point guards in the state and has a tremendous feel for setting up his teammates. He seems to have a knack for hitting big shots when the game is on the line. The brother of Purdue freshman Terone Johnson has offers from Ball State, Eastern Illinois, Indiana State, Ohio and Saint Louis and interest from Butler

|12.|Ronnie Johnson|Point guard|5-10|North Central|Johnson is one of the best pure point guards in the state and has a tremendous feel for setting up his teammates. He seems to have a knack for hitting big shots when the game is on the line. The brother of Purdue freshman Terone Johnson has offers from Ball State, Eastern Illinois, Indiana State, Ohio and Saint Louis and interest from Butler

Our competition (based on offers) is NOT too impressive.

Another PG, eh? I'm in the camp that thinks we need a bruiser to fill the last scholarship...Think a mobile, skinnier version Robert 'Tractor' Traylor...

But I also have faith in the current regime to scout and develop talent...