Student Season Tickets

bk18

Student Season tickets are now up for sale at $135.

I think that they should have sold them for cheaper, closer to $110 to attract more students. There are a lot of student who know they can't make 14 games so they end up buying tickets individually because they are $10 individually. Consequently they go to less games than if they would have bought season tickets.

Regardless, I bought them because I know it will be worth the money for me. I just think the athletic dept is making a small mistake here. Maybe they'll catch on next year.

Student Season tickets are now up for sale at $135.

I think that they should have sold them for cheaper, closer to $110 to attract more students. There are a lot of student who know they can't make 14 games so they end up buying tickets individually because they are $10 individually. Consequently they go to less games than if they would have bought season tickets.

Regardless, I bought them because I know it will be worth the money for me. I just think the athletic dept is making a small mistake here. Maybe they'll catch on next year.

I don't think they would have sold that many more. Until we're at the point where it's hard to get tickets, most students aren't going to be season ticket holders. You're a diehard fan and that's great, but most students aren't. A lot of students are from out of town too and can't make the games over break, so even at $110 they're paying the same. Being a season ticket holder also doesn't make students attend. I also people who bought season tickets freshman year and never went to a game. People will always have excuses not to go, even if the tickets were free.

I don't think they would have sold that many more. Until we're at the point where it's hard to get tickets, most students aren't going to be season ticket holders. You're a diehard fan and that's great, but most students aren't. A lot of students are from out of town too and can't make the games over break, so even at $110 they're paying the same. Being a season ticket holder also doesn't make students attend. I also people who bought season tickets freshman year and never went to a game. People will always have excuses not to go, even if the tickets were free.

were there really only 14 games counting two exhibition?

last we had 18 and with post season someone said it was 22 or 23

A ticket at the door is $10, so he was saying you need to make it to 14 to get your money's worth. When you look at having 3-4 games over Christmas break, random promotions for $5 tickets or even free ones, etc., and still having to pay for post-season tickets, it is probably more expensive to buy season tickets for most students. And that discourages people from buying them. And then they don't feel obligated to go...

You could also go to the Library or Humphreys and see if there are any free floaters about an hour or two before tip-off. A lot of Billiken Club members will leave extra tickets for Jan or some of the bartenders to distribute before the game. Works every now and again.

raise tuition/fees for all students $150 and make all the student tickets free. first come first served.

Mid-June... so that must mean the start of the annual whine by the students. $40,000 is fine for tuition but $10/game is too much??? Welcome to the real world. Excuses and b#tching is all we ever hear. Suck it up and deal with it.

I was a student back in the day. I still remember limited checking accounts which were funding ONLY with earnings from the summer and student loans. Still, I again say that college students have greater disposable income for entertainment than most of us working stiffs. They find the money for concerts, sporting events, alcohol and $5 fancy coffee drinks but a basketball game (to watch their fellow students, w/o commuting and parking expenses and many with free food, drink and T-shirts) but then claim poverty for basketball tickets.

Sorry, but not buying the sad stories.

were there really only 14 games counting two exhibition?

last we had 18 and with post season someone said it was 22 or 23

I would say since most students are out of town on breaks and are likely to have significant conflicts for some games, most students are only available to go to around 14 games.

Mid-June... so that must mean the start of the annual whine by the students. $40,000 is fine for tuition but $10/game is too much??? Welcome to the real world. Excuses and b#tching is all we ever hear. Suck it up and deal with it.

I was a student back in the day. I still remember limited checking accounts which were funding ONLY with earnings from the summer and student loans. Still, I again say that college students have greater disposable income for entertainment than most of us working stiffs. They find the money for concerts, sporting events, alcohol and $5 fancy coffee drinks but a basketball game (to watch their fellow students, w/o commuting and parking expenses and many with free food, drink and T-shirts) but then claim poverty for basketball tickets.

Agreed.

A ticket at the door is $10, so he was saying you need to make it to 14 to get your money's worth. When you look at having 3-4 games over Christmas break, random promotions for $5 tickets or even free ones, etc., and still having to pay for post-season tickets, it is probably more expensive to buy season tickets for most students. And that discourages people from buying them. And then they don't feel obligated to go...

Exactly! If a student figured they could make about 12 games and season tickets were $125, obviously it would be cheaper to buy individual tickets. This means that they will probably end up going to like 5-8 games. If they were $115, season tickets would be the better option and they'd probably go to 11-13 games.

I want the ticket prices lower not simply so fans can save money, but because it would encourage more fans to go to the game. Friends who don't have season tickets are more likely to go if they know that a few of their friends are season ticket holders.

05 and clock tower:

As I said in my first post, I'm fine with the price because its a good value for me and I'm not whining about having to pay that much. But looking at things from a business perspective I think they'd actually increase revenue (at no increased cost) if they lowered the price of season tickets.

Just an estimate, I bet at $135, they will sell 120 student season tickets passes. ($16,200 total revenue)

At $115, I bet they would sell 170 student season ticket passes ($19,550 total revenue)

With 170 season ticket holders, there may seem to be less individual game tickets purchased, but I think a solid season ticket holder base could solidify the student section so that going to a game would be more appealing. Not everyone is as interested in Billiken basketball as all of us, but if we can make going to a basketball game a social thing, interest would rise and more students would buy tickets and more students would buy season tickets in the future. A casual billiken basketball fan is going to have a better experience (and be more interested to come again) if there were 400 students in the student section instead of 40.

I paid for season tickets when I was a student without any complaint. Welcome to having a $100m arena, folks. Deal with it.

At the same time, all we ever hear during the season is bitching from the "old folks" about parking, game times, people making their way to their seats during play, food, etc. etc. If that crowd can't find something to ***** about during the summer, it is admirable of the students to pick up their slack. What would the world come to if we didn't have something to ***** about?

I paid for season tickets when I was a student without any complaint. Welcome to having a $100m arena, folks. Deal with it.

At the same time, all we ever hear during the season is bitching from the "old folks" about parking, game times, people making their way to their seats during play, food, etc. etc. If that crowd can't find something to ***** about during the summer, it is admirable of the students to pick up their slack. What would the world come to if we didn't have something to ***** about?

It's called caring about the program. We had a lot of good student crowds for big games like xavier and dayton and some near the end of the season, but we had WAY TOO MANY games with less than 50 students.

The price affects more than just wallets, it affects what kind of atmosphere will be at the game, what kind of tradition will be developed.

I'm sure most student posters would say that Basketball games are a big tradition, but I don't think the general student body would say that its a big tradition, or at least big ENOUGH.

Exactly! If a student figured they could make about 12 games and season tickets were $125, obviously it would be cheaper to buy individual tickets. This means that they will probably end up going to like 5-8 games. If they were $115, season tickets would be the better option and they'd probably go to 11-13 games.

I want the ticket prices lower not simply so fans can save money, but because it would encourage more fans to go to the game. Friends who don't have season tickets are more likely to go if they know that a few of their friends are season ticket holders.

05 and clock tower:

As I said in my first post, I'm fine with the price because its a good value for me and I'm not whining about having to pay that much. But looking at things from a business perspective I think they'd actually increase revenue (at no increased cost) if they lowered the price of season tickets.

Just an estimate, I bet at $135, they will sell 120 student season tickets passes. ($16,200 total revenue)

At $115, I bet they would sell 170 student season ticket passes ($19,550 total revenue)

With 170 season ticket holders, there may seem to be less individual game tickets purchased, but I think a solid season ticket holder base could solidify the student section so that going to a game would be more appealing. Not everyone is as interested in Billiken basketball as all of us, but if we can make going to a basketball game a social thing, interest would rise and more students would buy tickets and more students would buy season tickets in the future. A casual billiken basketball fan is going to have a better experience (and be more interested to come again) if there were 400 students in the student section instead of 40.

If the team wins as I expect them to this year, the games will soon become sellouts and both students and non-students will be out seeking tickets, and all of a sudden, will pay a premium for them. Soon, we will hear not about the "high" cost of student tickets and creative ways how we can get some lazy and disinterested students to walk a few hundred feet to the games, but about why SLU doesn't set aside more tickets to the game. It won't be long before some student tells us that they pay $40,000 per year and are "entitled" to go to games ahead of us old guys. Then, someone will bring up Duke for the example of how they treat their students with courtside seating.

Frankly, I was concerned about sellouts with the reduced number of seats at Chaveitz and with the anticipated success after the hiring of RM. I have 4 in my family but have only bought 2 season tickets and like to occasionally purchase 2 extra seats. My concerns seem only be to be delayed. Still, if some of you students want to take the risk that tickets for the conference games will still be around for $10/game, then go for it. Like you, I miss games as well so my cost per actual game attended also is higher than the printed ticket price but I buy season tickets anyway. Blame it on my economics background, but if you factor into externalities (added cost of time, travel and anxiety to get day of the game tickets...), I'd suggest that even a casual basketball fan should jump at the chance to get season tickets for $135. Our team will be very, very special this year so my suggestion is to simply add this to the cost of going to college and enjoy the games. If you are a student and don't like the games, then buy a season ticket anyway and you will either become a fan or you most likely find buyers this year and more than makeup your $135 investment. Trust me, when you get out of school and start paying your student loans back, together with your mortgage and car payments, you'll see that $135 per year is a drop in the bucket.

It's called caring about the program. We had a lot of good student crowds for big games like xavier and dayton and some near the end of the season, but we had WAY TOO MANY games with less than 50 students.

The price affects more than just wallets, it affects what kind of atmosphere will be at the game, what kind of tradition will be developed.

I'm sure most student posters would say that Basketball games are a big tradition, but I don't think the general student body would say that its a big tradition, or at least big ENOUGH.

We had those crowds because kids don't stay over break they had nothing to do with ticket prices.

We had those crowds because kids don't stay over break they had nothing to do with ticket prices.

I'd say overall there was very good student support this year. I'd like to see an improvement on it, but last year wasn't too bad.

The student support this year was definitely better than it has been in the past few. I do not think however that the ticket prices are the reasons keeping students away. Even if the prices went from $150 to $100 then they some would say "why aren't season tickets $75, $50 or free". They just would rather be doing something.

The student support this year was definitely better than it has been in the past few. I do not think however that the ticket prices are the reasons keeping students away. Even if the prices went from $150 to $100 then they some would say "why aren't season tickets $75, $50 or free". They just would rather be doing something.

Agreed...I would have killed for an on campus arena when I was a student. Would have been a ton of fun beating you up as we walked to the games, and then pummeling you at Laclede's afterwards.

Agreed...I would have killed for an on campus arena when I was a student. Would have been a ton of fun beating you up as we walked to the games, and then pummeling you at Laclede's afterwards.

Pummel me? You would've gotten a Miah uppercut or and EC people's elbow.

+1

05 and clock tower:

I am not buying that 50 kids will not buy season tix unless the price is lowered by $20 - that makes no sense. If you would be willing to buy at $115 you will be willing to buy at $135.

I was told that the first year the arena was opened they had sold something like 500 student season tix and the price was higher. I do not remember the student seating area being all that filled that year. Truth is kids will come when they think the game is the place to be - regardless of the price if the price is not unreasonable.

If the team wins as I expect them to this year, the games will soon become sellouts and both students and non-students will be out seeking tickets, and all of a sudden, will pay a premium for them. Soon, we will hear not about the "high" cost of student tickets and creative ways how we can get some lazy and disinterested students to walk a few hundred feet to the games, but about why SLU doesn't set aside more tickets to the game. It won't be long before some student tells us that they pay $40,000 per year and are "entitled" to go to games ahead of us old guys. Then, someone will bring up Duke for the example of how they treat their students with courtside seating.

Frankly, I was concerned about sellouts with the reduced number of seats at Chaveitz and with the anticipated success after the hiring of RM. I have 4 in my family but have only bought 2 season tickets and like to occasionally purchase 2 extra seats. My concerns seem only be to be delayed. Still, if some of you students want to take the risk that tickets for the conference games will still be around for $10/game, then go for it. Like you, I miss games as well so my cost per actual game attended also is higher than the printed ticket price but I buy season tickets anyway. Blame it on my economics background, but if you factor into externalities (added cost of time, travel and anxiety to get day of the game tickets...), I'd suggest that even a casual basketball fan should jump at the chance to get season tickets for $135. Our team will be very, very special this year so my suggestion is to simply add this to the cost of going to college and enjoy the games. If you are a student and don't like the games, then buy a season ticket anyway and you will either become a fan or you most likely find buyers this year and more than makeup your $135 investment. Trust me, when you get out of school and start paying your student loans back, together with your mortgage and car payments, you'll see that $135 per year is a drop in the bucket.

Not sure how student tix work but I assume they have a picture ID? If not then simply share the tix with someone else. At Missouri when my kids went there students had to put in for a drawing and they were only assured of being drawn for one of the 3 sessions - in other words, the season was broken up into 3 segments and kids put in knowing they would only get one for sure.