Possible Bad News...

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody have an idea when some concrete news/police report typically comes out with information on these type of cases? I know this is a sticky subject so I'm assuming they wont have anything today or maybe the next couple days.

Probably awhile to go, 1,000 variables.

Alleged victim's statement, is she "credible witness" (police term)? Her blood tests, was she under influence of any substance, and if so to what extent? Did they take DNA / rape tests results? Was there a medical exam? Then the two(?) suspects stories: do they match each others? How do they compare to the victims account? Blood tests taken? Were they legally intoxicated & if so to what extent? DNA tests? Were there other witnesses at the site? What are their accounts? Did anybody observe them at the bar or party (or whatever) where they came from? Info goes to police then maybe prosecuter, then question is will police press charges? Enough evidence? Or just he said she said? Then of course, you have lawyers involved. Complex, must be carefull to protect all parties involved before next announcement, especially these days with media potentially lingering to exploit the story one way or another.

All must come together, may be several days at least, unless there is something clear cut.

Obviously, this is very bad for SLU, regardless of who was involved....

Just an observation: If SLU basketball players were involved, don't you think the media would have sensationalized that a little bit? I mean, we saw at St. Bonaventure when their basketball players were involved in a stabbing. The headlines read something like 'St. Bonaventure Basketball Players Involved in On Campus Fight'....similarly, I would think we would have heard if 'basketball players' were a part of this investigation...i could be wrong, but just a thought...

Just an observation: If SLU basketball players were involved, don't you think the media would have sensationalized that a little bit? I mean, we saw at St. Bonaventure when their basketball players were involved in a stabbing. The headlines read something like 'St. Bonaventure Basketball Players Involved in On Campus Fight'....similarly, I would think we would have heard if 'basketball players' were a part of this investigation...i could be wrong, but just a thought...

They're implying it. Happened in a "athletic dorm"... Due to how serious this is (not saying a stabbing isn't serious, but the investigation is also pretty straight forward). If/when there is any sort of arrests made, there will be a media wildfire around this if any of our guys are involved. If that happens, you would have to think at least one player will be dismissed from the team and school.

More complex than that... if it is just he said - she said AT THIS POINT, even the weasel press boys will stay away for now, SLU is HUGE part of our community, and deserves that respect, so the press does not want to make such a strong story if it is just an accusation with no basis, no charges by police or the victim drops charges for whatever reason, etc... makes press look like slime if they sensationalize then it goes the other way.

The press will wait for the police, prosecuters, SLU or other reliable sources to clarify.

Maybe it is a good sign that there have been no more releases on this matter; evidence, statements from others, blood tests, etc... or the classic "if the police got different enough stories from the 2 accused kids", and there is possibly a case, it might be enough for the press to go forward.

Also, maintaining the alleged victim's anonimity as they are usually permitted, comes into play, and must be managed.

When there is "hard" info / data, or police charges are pressed, whatever, THEN the press will make their move. Lets hope the reports that SLU basketball players were involved are innacurate.

Does anybody have an idea when some concrete news/police report typically comes out with information on these type of cases? I know this is a sticky subject so I'm assuming they wont have anything today or maybe the next couple days.

Names will be released if/when charges are filed. If there are arrests made, they have 48 hours to file charges after the arrests.

I completely understand....but I just don't think it would have been that much of a stretch for reports to have said....2 slu basketball players rather than 2 slu students

I completely understand....but I just don't think it would have been that much of a stretch for reports to have said....2 slu basketball players rather than 2 slu students

They don't release names in most situations like this until charges are pressed because of the privacy of the victim.

They don't release names in most situations like this until charges are pressed because of the privacy of the victim.

I didn't say anything about names being released...but IF basketball players were involved, I don't see why the media wouldn't say '2 SLU basketball players' involved in a sexual assault...just like they do in other situations... http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5017554

I didn't say anything about names being released...but IF basketball players were involved, I don't see why the media wouldn't say '2 SLU basketball players' involved in a sexual assault...just like they do in other situations... http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5017554

That's not really a good example IMO. That case was probably pretty straightforward.

Completely different situation.

But do you still believe that there were no basketball players accused in this incident? I understand that none of their names have been released, but at the same time it seems to me that there is something very fishy going on and most signs (and rumors) point to a member(s) of the basketball team.

But do you still believe that there were no basketball players accused in this incident? I understand that none of their names have been released, but at the same time it seems to me that there is something very fishy going on and most signs (and rumors) point to a member(s) of the basketball team.

but all these rumors are just that... rumors.... and signs?? what signs? if there were actual signs they wouldnt have to be called rumors then

All I'm saying is that IF SLU bball players were involved, something should have come out already- at the very least a news story that explicitly mentioned that 'some unnamed SLU basketball players' were being investigated...

whether it be students who were around during the 'questioning/detainment', or reporters with connections to the police- finding out, generically speaking, if basketball players were involved is not too much of a stretch for news reporters

I'm not saying that players weren't involved either- I just find it a little odd that nothing has come out about it...

Plus- I don't even know why SLU b-ball players are even being mentioned. Other than 1 or 2 posters who said they know that 2 important bball players were involved...as of right now, there is NO concrete evidence linking this assault to SLU basketball..

That's not really a good example IMO. That case was probably pretty straightforward.

It's at least in the same ballpark....stabbing vs sexual assault...both felonies...

(i also understand the unique circumstances involving the privacy of the alleged victim in this case...)

would this be better? http://www.abc15.com/content/news/centrals...kc7TGTEE_g.cspx

i have heard rumors outside of this board around campus. i wont post them because they are just that, rumors. I would hate to implicate anyone when there is no evidence to do so.

Very true. And if indeed a player is being accused hopefully they are false accusations.

I understand what some of you are saying about what the media has or hasn't done. Aside from just this, I feel as though the University has always done a pretty good job keeping things under wraps and making sure only what has to come out comes out.

Very true. And if indeed a player is being accused hopefully they are false accusations.

I understand what some of you are saying about what the media has or hasn't done. Aside from just this, I feel as though the University has always done a pretty good job keeping things under wraps and making sure only what has to come out comes out.

Regardless of whether the players are charged, and yes I know basketball players are involved, the fact they put themselves in this position is extremely disappointing.

Regardless of whether the players are charged, and yes I know basketball players are involved, the fact they put themselves in this position is extremely disappointing.

Why are all the posts implicating the basketball players from people who are not regular posters? I get the feeling this is outsiders creating rumors with no basis.

Why are all the posts implicating the basketball players from people who are not regular posters? I get the feeling this is outsiders creating rumors with no basis.

I get the feeling that if it didn't involve basketball players, it would have been shot down long ago. I have a really bad feeling about all of this.

I got the same sense as you.

Just to defend myself, I only became a SLU fan when i decided to go to college here, thats why I have only been posting for 2 years. I dont really have any real inside info except talk around campus.

like i said before, the rumors on campus ive heard are really bad for our image and our team.

I get the feeling that if it didn't involve basketball players, it would have been shot down long ago. I have a really bad feeling about all of this.

If what is being said within some circles of people is true this will be a huge blow to the program. I understand we can't tell at this point what are rumors and what aren't, but this could be damaging.

I found it interesting in that most recent article that it doesn't seem too much like they're going to file charges. I guess I'm making an assumption there but I feel like at this point if they had a clear cut situation, they would know for sure.