OT: Altman to Oregon?

Altman leaving Creighton,and where did Porter Moser go to school? No Sir,I don`t like it.

This seems like a reach to me. Altman can't recruit at that level. Creighton has fallen on hard times after dominating the MVC for nearly a decade. Another bad year at Creighton and he might have been fired.

Isn't Bobby Lutz available? What's Billy Gillespie doing these days? But if Creighton does select Porter Moser, who's been a head coach in the conference, I'll wish him well and look forward to seeing what Coach Majerus does. I'd love to see Erwin Claggett on SLU's bench.

I'd almost rather see Claggs stay at McCluer. He has some big time players coming up that are in jr high, frosh and sophomores. Lets have a former Bill build a north county pipeline to SLU.

Isn't Bobby Lutz available? What's Billy Gillespie doing these days? But if Creighton does select Porter Moser, who's been a head coach in the conference, I'll wish him well and look forward to seeing what Coach Majerus does. I'd love to see Erwin Claggett on SLU's bench.

I love Erwin, but there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that Majerus would hire a local high school coach to join him on the bench. There just aren't enough stud players in St. Louis to make it worthwhile, and Clags has no experience recruiting.

PM apparently decided he wants a crack at SLU since whenever RM does step down the kids here would be who he recruited. At Creighton he would have to start over and why would Creighton hire a guy who got fired from another MVC school?

PM apparently decided he wants a crack at SLU since whenever RM does step down the kids here would be who he recruited. At Creighton he would have to start over and why would Creighton hire a guy who got fired from another MVC school?

Exactly. Unless CU has the same indecision and problems the UO had...

FWIW here's the wishlist that the Omaha newspaper put together: http://odc.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=5002&p=1885

And then why would SLU want to hire a guy who got fired from a lowly MVC job? BTW, you guys do realize that standard operating procedure, when you've been eliminated from consideration for a job, is to withdraw your name like PM did. Just some things to consider.

And then why would SLU want to hire a guy who got fired from a lowly MVC job? BTW, you guys do realize that standard operating procedure, when you've been eliminated from consideration for a job, is to withdraw your name like PM did. Just some things to consider.

So I guess Mike Anderson withdrew his name from Georgia and Oregon because he was eliminated from consideration.

Yes we do realize that but my point simply was that PM made a decision not to apply for other jobs that had come open already. The Green Bay thing I think was them pursuing him somewhat and he came to listen basically and decided to stay. Nobody is saying that PM will get the SLU job just that he wants a crack at it - he might get it who knows. After several years of working with RM he may be better prepared for a h.c. job. My point about CU was that they would be hard pressed to hire a guy who had not made it earlier in the MVC without any other h.c. stops in between.

Greg McDermott will be announced as the new HC at Creighton tomorrow.

how fu'd must iowa state be to leave there for an mvc job? granted creighton has some history, but the truth is creighton has slipped back a few notches the last few years and while iowa state hasnt done much when you compare opportunities of big12 vs mvc i just think this move is inncredible.

how fu'd must iowa state be to leave there for an mvc job? granted creighton has some history, but the truth is creighton has slipped back a few notches the last few years and while iowa state hasnt done much when you compare opportunities of big12 vs mvc i just think this move is inncredible.

Warning: pure speculation on my part here.

The guy was most likely on his way out at Iowa State. I don't think he's had a winning season there. IMO, he's playing it safe. There is a strong possibility he would have been fired after next season (or maybe during the season). By going to Creighton he'll most likely buy himself 3-4 years of guaranteed employment vs. less than 12 months. It's a step back, but he was obviously not getting things done at ISU.

The guy was most likely on his way out at Iowa State. I don't think he's had a winning season there. IMO, he's playing it safe. There is a strong possibility he would have been fired after next season (or maybe during the season). By going to Creighton he'll most likely buy himself 3-4 years of guaranteed employment vs. less than 12 months. It's a step back, but he was obviously not getting things done at ISU.

ok, that makes sense. that said, if true, what does that say about mcdermott's self confidence?

ok, that makes sense. that said, if true, what does that say about mcdermott's self confidence?

I wonder about this hire for many reasons. How will he recruit? "I got it done in the Valley, failed in the Big 12, and now I'm back".

In many ways he's a lot like Altman, except that Altman actually had some success at K-State.

I read somewhere he had negotiated a $2.5 million early termination fee he would recieve if he was terminated before his $900,000 per year deal was up. I'm not sure how many years he had left, but that would be tempting to stick around for. Do you think Creighton is paying him $900,000 per year?

I read somewhere he had negotiated a $2.5 million early termination fee he would recieve if he was terminated before his $900,000 per year deal was up. I'm not sure how many years he had left, but that would be tempting to stick around for. Do you think Creighton is paying him $900,000 per year?

Creighton was paying Altman about $1 million/year. Some quick googling lead me to internet reports that are saying McDermott's going to make around $900K at Creighton. I can't really validate that, but I wouldn't be shocked either.

On the Iowa State board, they mentioned Gregory. One poster gave this excellent critique of Gregory...

I keep hearing his name a lot from Cyclone fans. He was a crowd favorite by a lot of fans when Iowa was looking into their search as well. I know that he was very interested in the Iowa job and would have taken it if they would have waited for him to finish up the NIT. He comes from the Tom Izzo coaching tree and is a Big 10 guy and wants nothing more than to be a head coach in the Big 10. With that said I really think this would be a bad hire.

When he got to Dayton, they were one of the top Mid-Majors in the country. Oliver Purnell had build them up with some great talent before leaving to go to Clemson. He left that program in fantastic shape. Here are his last 4 years at Dayton.....

1999–00 Dayton 22–9 11–5 1st–West

2000–01 Dayton 21–13 9–7 6th

2001–02 Dayton 21–11 10–6 3rd–West

2002–03 Dayton 24–6 14–2 2nd–West

So Brian Gregory gets there with the cupboard full and has 2 really nice first seasons at Dayton

2003–2004 Dayton 24-9 12-4 1st (East)

2004–2005 Dayton 18-11 10-6 T-2nd (West)

Since than? He has finished 7th or worse in 4 out of 5 seasons in the conference. This in the Atlantic 10. A good mid major division for sure (if not the best) but still a conference that a coach that is getting BCS looks should do much better than that in. If you watch his teams play they generally get worse as the season goes on. In 2007 they started 14-1 and didn't make the dance. In 2006 same story. Started fast and didn't even make the NIT. Even this year they started 13-3 (2-0 in conference) and only won 6 of their last 14 games before going on the NIT run.

2005–2006 Dayton 14-17 6-10 T-11th

2006–2007 Dayton 19-12 8-8 T-7th

2007–2008 Dayton 23-11 8-8 T-7th

2008–2009 Dayton 27-8 11-5 T-2nd

2009-2010 Dayton 25-12 8-8 7th

Just my opinion here. I don't think he would be a good hire.

Creighton was paying Altman about $1 million/year. Some quick googling lead me to internet reports that are saying McDermott's going to make around $900K at Creighton. I can't really validate that, but I wouldn't be shocked either.

The story here in Iowa is the deal is for 10 years at 9 Million, plus his son is now getting out of his loi from UNI and will be going to CU. McDermott said that was a big plus for him

to make the move to be able to coach his son. I heard something on a Des Moines TV station today that the son felt he was more suited for the MVC and not the bIG 12 and that's

why he didn't want to play at ISU.

what is Altman's attraction to Oregon his recruiting network will take a while to put in place and he must be leaving the cupboard bare at Creighton.