Perth Coach to coach Loe at Hoops Summit

SLUDrew

moytoy12, I hope you, kshoe, Nate and I'm sure you can add Billikan to the mix, are correct and that MM is enough to get us over the hump. Frankly, I don't believe we are as good as you guys do. The fact that we have struggled to win aganist Ind St and UW-GB (both on our home court) doesn't bode well as to how close we are right now to being an NCAA tourney team. Sure we are missing a few players but not the key players (KM, KC, CS, WR, or CE), but I expected us to be a lot better than either of those teams, given the fact that they were not the best teams in conferences we view as inferior to the A-10. It always amazes me how many posters see us as improved next year (as do I) yet fail to consider that it is a moving target we are chasing-other teams are also improving. Just look at our conference-you would have to believe that most of the top teams (except possisbly UD) would also improve. Yes we will have CE all year but we will have to play X, URI and Temple on the road next year, therby making an improvement in our A-10 record very difficult.

As for "almost being a bubble team this year", I submit that that describes 10-15 teams. How close were we in comparison to all those other "bubble teams"? Guys, we didn't even get into the NIT! Sure you can argue that we should have, but the FACT remains that we were judged by an impartial panel of neutrals (not Billiken fans) and judged to not even being worthy of an NIT bid! If that translates into us being close to an NCAA at-large bid for you guys, that's well and good. To me, it means we were not very close and the addition of MM likely willl not be enough to get us a bid next year w/o some additional recruits. So I say go get who we need to improve next year, because I want to see the start of a NCAA run of appearances.

We dominated Ind. St.

We struggled to beat GB, but we beat them even though we shot under 20% from 3 point land.

Also, we would have made the tourney if we had CE all year.

I guess I look at your posts and wonder how someone could be so negative about our chances re: the NCAA next year. We have a dominant big man in the making, a top tier pg, a versatile and tough-to-plan-against 4 (CE), a great defender and glue/do everything guy (KC), that's a great core. If we can add a shooter (MM), an athletic slasher/defender off the bench (FJ), a solid all around guard off the bench (CS), a defensively sound big man off the bench (CR), and spark plug pg (JJ), we will be in very very good shape. Plus, there is the unknown possible contribution of a healthy Reid, Evans, and Eckerle.

As for other teams, my opinion is that we will improve more since we have more improved players coming back to the team.

-i'll throw in my two cents on the bubble conversation - we knocked ourselves out of the conversation that was building by losing to X and temple

-good to see Nate thinking we are still in the mix for Loe

-hope he can rebound as i believe that is our biggest need

moytoy12, I hope you, kshoe, Nate and I'm sure you can add Billikan to the mix, are correct and that MM is enough to get us over the hump. Frankly, I don't believe we are as good as you guys do. The fact that we have struggled to win aganist Ind St and UW-GB (both on our home court) doesn't bode well as to how close we are right now to being an NCAA tourney team. Sure we are missing a few players but not the key players (KM, KC, CS, WR, or CE), but I expected us to be a lot better than either of those teams, given the fact that they were not the best teams in conferences we view as inferior to the A-10. It always amazes me how many posters see us as improved next year (as do I) yet fail to consider that it is a moving target we are chasing-other teams are also improving. Just look at our conference-you would have to believe that most of the top teams (except possisbly UD) would also improve. Yes we will have CE all year but we will have to play X, URI and Temple on the road next year, therby making an improvement in our A-10 record very difficult.

As for "almost being a bubble team this year", I submit that that describes 10-15 teams. How close were we in comparison to all those other "bubble teams"? Guys, we didn't even get into the NIT! Sure you can argue that we should have, but the FACT remains that we were judged by an impartial panel of neutrals (not Billiken fans) and judged to not even being worthy of an NIT bid! If that translates into us being close to an NCAA at-large bid for you guys, that's well and good. To me, it means we were not very close and the addition of MM likely willl not be enough to get us a bid next year w/o some additional recruits. So I say go get who we need to improve next year, because I want to see the start of a NCAA run of appearances.

I believe what you are saying here makes a lot of sense and is more realistic than what many others are saying. However, if we get Loe or Clyburn, and they can deal with coach RM, SLU should be a lot better. But as you state here, the rest of the league will be better and we have some very tough road games next year. Plus, if the non-conference schedule is upgraded, that will be even more tough games for SLU. Seeing how the staff is still recruiting, they must know there will be a spot or two opening for next season.

Also, we would have made the tourney if we had CE all year.

I don't know about that.

I do find it hard to imagine this team with a year under its belt not being in the NCAA Tournament. I would be disappointed if our name is not called a little less than a year from now on Selection Sunday. I can't wait for next season.

It's not quite that simple. They played last year w/o their best player and he returned this year---kind of like adding a big-time recruit!

I'm not entirely sure how big of an impact the return of Dan Geriot had on Richmond's success this season. Yes, he had been their leading scorer for the 2 previous years before getting injured, but he also didn't return to the form he had in the past. He only started 16 of their 35 games, and averaged 6.8 points and 4 rebounds per game. He was their 5th leading scorer. He also made three points at a lower rate, both in percentage and quantity. Anderson, the conference player of the year, and Gonsalvez were the ones who really put up the numbers for the Spiders this year.

Saying we weren't close because the NIT didn't choose us isn't really correct. The NCAA and the NIT made their choices based upon an entire season of games. However, it's pretty obvious we became a different team the day Cody Ellis put on the BIlliken jersey. From that day on we have been at least a bubble NCAA team and absolutely no doubt an NIT caliber team. That was with a Cody Ellis that was fresh off the plane with no idea of our game plan and not in game shape. To say that we aren't close because we struggled at home against Wisconsin GB and Ind St is also a bit misleading as it is easy to see that Cody's legs are a bit tired right now, but if you add a Cody Ellis with an offseason of conditioning and a full preseason to get in shape and become more familier with our offense we are an even better team than the team that finished in 4th in a strong A10.

You also have to remember we lose no one next year unless we choose to. The general consensus is that a players biggest step forward comes between his Jr and Sr years. RM stated that MM is better than KM was coming in. Have we ever had a top 5 player in the state of Ill.? Not that I know of. Marquee Perry wasn't. Yes, other teams will improve in some area's, but the other teams will also lose top players and get worse in areas, we won't. We will be improved in every position.

I wouldn't guarantee an NCAA bid next year, but I would say I'd be highly dissapointed if we missed out, even without anyone new except the 2 committed players

Saying we weren't close because the NIT didn't choose us isn't really correct. The NCAA and the NIT made their choices based upon an entire season of games. However, it's pretty obvious we became a different team the day Cody Ellis put on the BIlliken jersey. From that day on we have been at least a bubble NCAA team and absolutely no doubt an NIT caliber team. That was with a Cody Ellis that was fresh off the plane with no idea of our game plan and not in game shape. To say that we aren't close because we struggled at home against Wisconsin GB and Ind St is also a bit misleading as it is easy to see that Cody's legs are a bit tired right now, but if you add a Cody Ellis with an offseason of conditioning and a full preseason to get in shape and become more familier with our offense we are an even better team than the team that finished in 4th in a strong A10.

Besides that, it's misguided elitism to think that just because of their names SLU must necessarily be head-and-shoulders better this year. So it seemed to be between Kansas and Northern Iowa and between Georgetown and Ohio.

You also have to remember we lose no one next year unless we choose to. The general consensus is that a players biggest step forward comes between his Jr and Sr years. RM stated that MM is better than KM was coming in. Have we ever had a top 5 player in the state of Ill.? Not that I know of. Marquee Perry wasn't. Yes, other teams will improve in some area's, but the other teams will also lose top players and get worse in areas, we won't. We will be improved in every position.

I wouldn't guarantee an NCAA bid next year, but I would say I'd be highly dissapointed if we missed out, even without anyone new except the 2 committed players

Put another way; nationwide, I would expect 25% of the better players (i.e. the seniors) to be gone while we lose nothing. I would expect significant improvement from that alone. Never mind having a healthy bench and the two recruits we know are coming next year.

Now, if someone wants to argue that we need to add a Loe for no other reason that if Willie were to go down, we would not be able to replace his production, you will get no argument from me.

How could anyone pick Colorado, set in one of the most beautiful locations in the United States, with some of the most beautiful co-eds anywhere pick the Buffs over SLU?

Come on, the Bills have got to be a lock.

Could the delay in Loe making an announcement be tied into RM not having an open slot a/o TODAY-and that he plans to have one shortly after the season ends and he gets a chance to discuss the future with all his players. Look at the current playing time for the players and the skill level of some of the "injured reserve" and the questionable long-term status of JR. When you factor all those items and consider how good RL and/or WC are reputed to be, I think any needed scholarship(s) will become available.

Sorry, Roy, but the name of the game is to make the NCAA next year and I, for one, don't think that that is probable with the roster standing pat. Will we be better with the current 13? Absolutely, but will we be favored to either win the A-10 automatic bid or be so improved as to get an at-large? Don't think so--yes it's possible, but not likely, IMO. Some additional infusion of talent (beyond MM and DE) is probably required to get us over the hump. It's not like we were on the bubble, knocking on the door, this year.

Actually, there is no NCAA rule that prohibits you from signing more players than you have schollies - at least that is my understanding - you just have to have it lined up correctly by the time kids enroll

I do think it's possible for SLU to return the same roster as next year, add in McCall and Evans, and make a run at the conference title and an NCAA berth.

But when you consider that both Loe and Clyburn are good enough to start and/or be the first players off the bench, how can SLU not recruit those players in case someone leaves -- like Thompson or Cotto or any number of players who have transferred in the past?

Or Jeff Reid is physically unable to continue his basketball career. Or Femi John comes back from surgery a shell of his former self. I've done my fair share of complaining about Rickma's quirks and public comments but this isn't one of those situations. He's prudently planning ahead.

I think the A-10 schedule next year will, in fact, FAVOR SLU (Assuming we don't play Duquesne twice- they return all 5 starters too)

- We lost to Xavier and Temple at home this year, so playing them on the road (and possibly losing) could end up being a wash

- We can beat RI on the road.....it will be tough, but they lose their top 2 players (Ulmer and Cothran)

- All we need to do is clean up the GW and Charlotte losses, and we will be in good shape...

I think 13-3, 12-4 should be a realistic goal...Barring an OOC collapse, we should be in 'bubble type' territory....We could do better, we could do worse...but a sensible GOAL should obviously be to make the Tourney!

(Also: the bubble this year was the weakest it has been in a while- expect it to have stronger teams in contention next year, meaning SLU is going to have to perform better too)