Perth Coach to coach Loe at Hoops Summit

SLUDrew

Guest BillikenReport

Here is the Perth Wildcats website

http://www.wildcats.com.au/index.php?id=928

The Muzz Buzz might be the best dance team name ever.

Cody's dad was captain of the Wildcats for over a decade, coached them for a year, and served ad GM the GM of the team at one point.

Apparently the Perth coach is really close with SLU assistant Chris Harriman. That's how Kevin Lisch ended up with Perth.

Well, Loe's apparently close friends with CE as well. Bring him in CE.

Maybe I am looking way too much into this, but I am extremely encouraged that Loe has not committed yet. As I understand it, St. Mary's is one of the finalists for his services. They are in the sweet 16 this year and bringing everyone back next year but their stud center. Conceivably, Loe could step right in, start all season, and be dancing in March. It seems like such an obvious fit that he would have committed there by now if he really wanted to be a Gael.

Could it be that he knows of Coach Majerus's track record of coaching up big men, especially foreign big men, that we wants to see if a spot opens up at SLU?

Guest BillikenReport

Maybe I am looking way too much into this, but I am extremely encouraged that Loe has not committed yet. As I understand it, St. Mary's is one of the finalists for his services. They are in the sweet 16 this year and bringing everyone back next year but their stud center. Conceivably, Loe could step right in, start all season, and be dancing in March. It seems like such an obvious fit that he would have committed there by now if he really wanted to be a Gael.

Saint Mary's is not in the mix anymore, from what I've heard.

It's mostly down to two schools: SLU and Colorado.

Saint Mary's is not in the mix anymore, from what I've heard.

It's mostly down to two schools: SLU and Colorado.

How could anyone pick Colorado, set in one of the most beautiful locations in the United States, with some of the most beautiful co-eds anywhere pick the Buffs over SLU?

Come on, the Bills have got to be a lock.

Could the delay in Loe making an announcement be tied into RM not having an open slot a/o TODAY-and that he plans to have one shortly after the season ends and he gets a chance to discuss the future with all his players. Look at the current playing time for the players and the skill level of some of the "injured reserve" and the questionable long-term status of JR. When you factor all those items and consider how good RL and/or WC are reputed to be, I think any needed scholarship(s) will become available.

Sorry, Roy, but the name of the game is to make the NCAA next year and I, for one, don't think that that is probable with the roster standing pat. Will we be better with the current 13? Absolutely, but will we be favored to either win the A-10 automatic bid or be so improved as to get an at-large? Don't think so--yes it's possible, but not likely, IMO. Some additional infusion of talent (beyond MM and DE) is probably required to get us over the hump. It's not like we were on the bubble, knocking on the door, this year.

How could anyone pick Colorado, set in one of the most beautiful locations in the United States, with some of the most beautiful co-eds anywhere pick the Buffs over SLU?

Could the delay in Loe making an announcement be tied into RM not having an open slot a/o TODAY-and that he plans to have one shortly after the season ends and he gets a chance to discuss the future with all his players. Look at the current playing time for the players and the skill level of some of the "injured reserve" and the questionable long-term status of JR. When you factor all those items and consider how good RL and/or WC are reputed to be, I think any needed scholarship(s) will become available.

Sorry, Roy, but the name of the game is to make the NCAA next year and I, for one, don't think that that is probable with the roster standing pat. Will we be better with the current 13? Absolutely, but will we be favored to either win the A-10 automatic bid or be so improved as to get an at-large? Don't think so--yes it's possible, but not likely, IMO. Some additional infusion of talent (beyond MM and DE) is probably required to get us over the hump. It's not like we were on the bubble, knocking on the door, this year.

Without getting into another scholarship discussion I think you are wrong in your last paragraph. the only reason we weren't seriously on the bubble was we didn't have Ellis all season. Add in a year of experience for everyone and this team should be good enough to get into a 65 team NCAA tourney. If its a 96 team tourney we should be a lock. Now if you add stud like Loe, I think we are good enough to be in the top 25 most of the season and look for a 6 or better seed.

This has been stated before. WE DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE AN OPENING TO OFFER A KID A SCHOLARSHIP. It has to be worked out before school starts but there are many examples of schools having 15-16 committed kids in the summer. Rick will work it out if we are lucky enough to get Loe.

I don't see how you draw these conclusions at all. We were almost a bubble candidate this year, a year where we only had CE for 1/2 the season. Folks are going to mature from this year to next and by most accounts, we are getting a helluva player in MM (I don't really know too much about DE).

Barring any major detriments (injury, ineligibility, etc.) I think it's more probable than not that we will get an at large bid next year.

Guest BillikenReport

I do think it's possible for SLU to return the same roster as next year, add in McCall and Evans, and make a run at the conference title and an NCAA berth.

But when you consider that both Loe and Clyburn are good enough to start and/or be the first players off the bench, how can SLU not recruit those players in case someone leaves -- like Thompson or Cotto or any number of players who have transferred in the past?

Without getting into another scholarship discussion I think you are wrong in your last paragraph. the only reason we weren't seriously on the bubble was we didn't have Ellis all season. Add in a year of experience for everyone and this team should be good enough to get into a 65 team NCAA tourney. If its a 96 team tourney we should be a lock. Now if you add stud like Loe, I think we are good enough to be in the top 25 most of the season and look for a 6 or better seed.

I like what you're saying! Let's hope it pans out like that. Except for the 96 team tourny its an awful idea. If it aint broke don't fix it.

I do think it's possible for SLU to return the same roster as next year, add in McCall and Evans, and make a run at the conference title and an NCAA berth.

But when you consider that both Loe and Clyburn are good enough to start and/or be the first players off the bench, how can SLU not recruit those players in case someone leaves -- like Thompson or Cotto or any number of players who have transferred in the past?

Couldn't agree more. Even if all the injured players are physically able to play next year, AT LEAST one player is going to see the writing on the wall regarding playing time and decide to transfer. These guys were all studs in high school and, understandably, some are not comfortable riding the pine even if they know they are part of a quality team with a chance to make a tourney run. You cannot put together two classes of such quality and quantity and not expect transfers.

Personally, if Jeff Reid cannot even be in the gym, I don't see how he will be able to play at this level again. Let me be clear, I AM NOT HOPING HE CANNOT PLAY just so we can get Loe. He made a commitment to be a Billiken and deserves every opportunity to fulfill that commitment. I am just saying that I view the odds of their being a spot open for next year is greater than 50/50.

I don't see how you draw these conclusions at all. We were almost a bubble candidate this year, a year where we only had CE for 1/2 the season. Folks are going to mature from this year to next and by most accounts, we are getting a helluva player in MM (I don't really know too much about DE).

Barring any major detriments (injury, ineligibility, etc.) I think it's more probable than not that we will get an at large bid next year.

moytoy12, I hope you, kshoe, Nate and I'm sure you can add Billikan to the mix, are correct and that MM is enough to get us over the hump. Frankly, I don't believe we are as good as you guys do. The fact that we have struggled to win aganist Ind St and UW-GB (both on our home court) doesn't bode well as to how close we are right now to being an NCAA tourney team. Sure we are missing a few players but not the key players (KM, KC, CS, WR, or CE), but I expected us to be a lot better than either of those teams, given the fact that they were not the best teams in conferences we view as inferior to the A-10. It always amazes me how many posters see us as improved next year (as do I) yet fail to consider that it is a moving target we are chasing-other teams are also improving. Just look at our conference-you would have to believe that most of the top teams (except possisbly UD) would also improve. Yes we will have CE all year but we will have to play X, URI and Temple on the road next year, therby making an improvement in our A-10 record very difficult.

As for "almost being a bubble team this year", I submit that that describes 10-15 teams. How close were we in comparison to all those other "bubble teams"? Guys, we didn't even get into the NIT! Sure you can argue that we should have, but the FACT remains that we were judged by an impartial panel of neutrals (not Billiken fans) and judged to not even being worthy of an NIT bid! If that translates into us being close to an NCAA at-large bid for you guys, that's well and good. To me, it means we were not very close and the addition of MM likely willl not be enough to get us a bid next year w/o some additional recruits. So I say go get who we need to improve next year, because I want to see the start of a NCAA run of appearances.

Guest BillikenReport

moytoy12, I hope you, kshoe, Nate and I'm sure you can add Billikan to the mix, are correct and that MM is enough to get us over the hump.

I also think it has to do with each of the returning players improving. I expect every one of the returning players to get better because they all have room to grow -- even Kwamain and Willie. Everyone who returned this year got better. I expect Ellis and Salecich to be much better next year.

I also think it has to do with each of the returning players improving. I expect every one of the returning players to get better because they all have room to grow -- even Kwamain and Willie. Everyone who returned this year got better. I expect Ellis and Salecich to be much better next year.

...and of course, the returning players on all the other teams will not improve?

Of course, I expect that improvement just as you do, but again, it's a moving target-returning players on other bubble teams will also improve.

...and of course, the returning players on all the other teams will not improve?

Of course, I expect that improvement just as you do, but again, it's a moving target-returning players on other bubble teams will also improve.

I have a lot more faith in the current coaching staff's ability to develop players and build muscle than I did in the previous regime.

moytoy12, I hope you, kshoe, Nate and I'm sure you can add Billikan to the mix, are correct and that MM is enough to get us over the hump. Frankly, I don't believe we are as good as you guys do. The fact that we have struggled to win aganist Ind St and UW-GB (both on our home court) doesn't bode well as to how close we are right now to being an NCAA tourney team. Sure we are missing a few players but not the key players (KM, KC, CS, WR, or CE), but I expected us to be a lot better than either of those teams, given the fact that they were not the best teams in conferences we view as inferior to the A-10. It always amazes me how many posters see us as improved next year (as do I) yet fail to consider that it is a moving target we are chasing-other teams are also improving. Just look at our conference-you would have to believe that most of the top teams (except possisbly UD) would also improve. Yes we will have CE all year but we will have to play X, URI and Temple on the road next year, therby making an improvement in our A-10 record very difficult.

As for "almost being a bubble team this year", I submit that that describes 10-15 teams. How close were we in comparison to all those other "bubble teams"? Guys, we didn't even get into the NIT! Sure you can argue that we should have, but the FACT remains that we were judged by an impartial panel of neutrals (not Billiken fans) and judged to not even being worthy of an NIT bid! If that translates into us being close to an NCAA at-large bid for you guys, that's well and good. To me, it means we were not very close and the addition of MM likely willl not be enough to get us a bid next year w/o some additional recruits. So I say go get who we need to improve next year, because I want to see the start of a NCAA run of appearances.

Richmond made the finals of the CBI last year and was able to parlay that into a top 25 ranking and NCAA berth this year...I think it's reasonable to expect that we can do the same. Our core group of guys are using these CBI games to learn how to win in a tournament enviroment.

I have a lot more faith in the current coaching staff's ability to develop players and build muscle than I did in the previous regime.

So do I. I think RM is doing an awesome coaching job. That's why I want him to sign players to make us even better. I think we are close to being a really, really good program for the first time since RG lost out on Upchurch. Stacking a third straight good recruiting class puts us well on the way to being a top 25-35 Program.

Others teams are losing established senoirs and top quality underclassmen who decide to go pro. Imagine how much different XU will look without Crawford and Love. Other teams will be losing major parts, we won't.

Richmond made the finals of the CBI last year and was able to parlay that into a top 25 ranking and NCAA berth this year...I think it's reasonable to expect that we can do the same. Our core group of guys are using these CBI games to learn how to win in a tournament enviroment.

It's not quite that simple. They played last year w/o their best player and he returned this year---kind of like adding a big-time recruit!

Guest BillikenReport

Of course.

But you also have to consider that SLU could essential return its entire team.

How many A-10 teams will return their entire starting lineups next season?

The three teams that finished ahead of the Billikens in the standings are losing key players to graduation:

Temple loses two starters: leading scorer Ryan Brooks and Luis Guzman.

Xavier loses its second-leading scorer in Jason Love, who made a big difference against SLU, and could lose leading scorer Jordan Crawford to the NBA if he wants to leave.

Richmond loses its second-leading scorer (David Gonzalvez) and fourth-leading scorer (Ryan Butler).

It's not quite that simple. They played last year w/o their best player and he returned this year---kind of like adding a big-time recruit!

True, while not completely the same SLU will have had CE for a full off-season which will help his development tremendously (IMO helping the team in ways similar to what a stud recruit could). Factor in the added depth (full compliment of scholly players and 2 walk ons) and understand that freshman typically make big strides after their first full collegiate year (which should help balance our scoring) and I think it's a valid comparison to make.