Day 3

brianstl

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot like their game against RMU..

I know we ***** about A-10 refs a lot, but I'm finding out that refs are no good in general. Also, this tourney really shows that the big schools get a ton of calls. I don't know if it's bad reffing or great athletes (and the game moves too quickly for the refs) or a combo of both.

St Mary's is looking pretty good so far. With all Rickma's talk about scheduling, I wonder if he has placed a call to Randy Bennett. That would be a nice game to have on the schedule next year.

Thinking the same thing... play each other every year... but I wonder if it would create some further competitive animosities.

Long way to go for St. Marys and refs seem to like Nova.

But would be HUGE win for St. Marys. I like their style.

I know we ***** about A-10 refs a lot, but I'm finding out that refs are no good in general. Also, this tourney really shows that the big schools get a ton of calls. I don't know if it's bad reffing or great athletes (and the game moves too quickly for the refs) or a combo of both.

I think basketball is becoming impossible to ref with how physical and athletic it is becoming.

I think basketball is becoming impossible to ref with how physical and athletic it is becoming.

It's becoming tougher to ref, no doubt about it.

Tough call against New Mexico St. last night. If that was a BCS school (like Mich. St.), no way that gets called.

Omar Samhan is exactly the player we need Ian Vouyoukas to be during his senior year three years ago.

Gotta love Bill Raftery. I have no idea what anything he says means, but it is hilarious.

The athleticism, strength, and quickness of today's players has changed hoops and the unofficially the rules. Fouls could probably be called on every rebound, every drive to the hoop, every pick, etc. I think they call only the most obvious ones in most cases. Other wise the game would be played mostly from the FT line.

Now Omar isn`t just the"Most hated man in Spokane",but Philly as well.I guess he`ll she his mom in Houston.

Oh had Patty Mills stayed.

Need some info Bay Area.

Now Omar isn`t just the"Most hated man in Spokane",but Philly as well.I guess he`ll she his mom in Houston.

Oh had Patty Mills stayed.

Need some info Bay Area.

Just got here- I was in what has become known as the Man Cave, my friend's home theater, watching the Gaels.

Anyway, that was an incredible win for SMC. Samhan was again great in the paint, McConnell hit the huge banked 3- Mickey is a good shooter, but I don't think he called bank on that one, and Delladevova, just a freshman, did a fantastic job at point guard against Nova's pressure, and hit a huge 3 himself.

Agree re if Patty Mills was still there and had stayed for his Junior year. He was a big time star player. Also, last year's team had Diamon Simpson at power forward.

SMC should have been in the NCAA last season and is proving it this season. SMC's RPI was 24 last season when Mills was injured and was still 45 on Selection Sunday. And the NCAA gave Purdue a #4 seed this season even after losing its best player to injury. Double standard?

Cal plays Duke tomorrow, and I am rooting for the Bears. We are 3 games away from the unthinkable- Cal v. SMC for a Final 4 bid, but a lot has to happen before that.

St. Mary's is the real deal. 2 impressive wins so far.

Agree, St. Mary's has been nails.

But worry that key recruit Rob Loe will be affected, their Sweet 16 could hurt our chances to get him, they have Aussie recruiting network and I think

St. Marys has TV access available to New Zealand...

Not sure who is coming back for St. Mary's... SLU sure as hell needs Loe.

(Also like seeing a team with no goddam tatoos get to the Sweet 16.)

It might not help us with recruiting, but let's go St. Mary's!

I'm a SLU alumnus, thus admittedly biased, but SLU should be able to win a recruiting battle with SMC.

SLU is a much bigger school, a better school, and has a much better facility with Chaifetz Arena. SLU could and should be top banana in St. Louis, whereas SMC is way down the food chain in the Bay Area. SMC games were not even on live over the air radio this season, and when the Gaels were on the radio in the past, they were on a very weak signal station.

But going to the NCAA Sweet 16 has to benefit SMC, although it will probably again be open season soon for various sharks out there trying to poach away Randy Bennett.

Agree, St. Mary's has been impressive.

But worry that key recruit Rob Loe will be affected, Sweet 16 could hurt our chances to get him.

Not sure who is coming back for St. Mary's... we sure as hell need him.

Also like seeing a team with no goddam tatoos get to the Sweet 16.

The two 6'11" big guys, Omar Samhan and Ben Allen, are both Seniors. The shooting guard, McConnell, is a Junior, the small forward, Steindl, is a soph, and the point guard, Dellavedova, is just a freshman. Allen, Steindl, and Dellavedova are all Aussies, as are two of the key reserves. Samhan is a local product from Danville, CA, and McConnell is from Phoenix.

I got to see SMC play twice in person this season, and they are fun to watch.

For years, SMC's Waterloo was Gonzaga, but the Gaels finally slayed that giant in the WCC Tournament championship game this season.

My other post lays out my case in brief for picking SLU over SMC in a recruiting battle.

Not to set off another conference debate here, but when I see schools like St. Mary's and Butler in the Sweet 16, it makes me question SLU being in the A-10, as there are so many good A-10 teams that the A-10 seems to eat its own, and in that it is easier to win the conference tournament and get in the NCAA Tournament in higher mid-major leagues like the WCC and the Horizon League, especially Butler in the Horizon. Gonzaga still resides in the WCC.