Majerus on with on 101 with Bernie at 12:30

brianstl

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The flight changes were made before the season and early season as airline schedules permit.

Last 2 yrs = almost all charters, as Biondi had stated when he hired Majerus.

This yr = mostly commercial.

Majerus brought it all up mid season after several disasterous trips, because he could then clearly demonstrate the devastating effects of Biondi's cut back.

Also, even Majerus probably did not know how bad this would be... 5-10 yrs ago, SL was still in the upper echelon.

Even 3-4 yrs ago, flights out of St. Louis were not so bad.

Now, after huge cutbacks at Lambert, St. Louis airline schedules are hick-hoosier-cornfield airport level.

(Again, does anyone who says we can be like Marquette and ND and travel to the east coast know if they take charter flights?)

This is a good explanation, I appreciate that.

If what you say is true, then I think Biondi should provide the same level of charters as before (even if he did have the right to reduce charter flights). Also, I think RM should quit crying in public about it.

This is a good explanation, I appreciate that.

If what you say is true, then I think Biondi should provide the same level of charters as before (even if he did have the right to reduce charter flights). Also, I think RM should quit crying in public about it.

I'll be damned.

We agree! :o

(Again, does anyone who says we can be like Marquette and ND and travel to the east coast know if they take charter flights?)

Not sure about football, but the Notre Dame Basketball team takes commercial flights quite often. They took one this past weekend to NYC for the Big East Tourney and due to the weather had to take a bus all the way home.

I live out of state but have a good friend that lives close to Lambert, Bel-nor (UMSL region).

I've been going to his house since about 1995. It used to be that you would hear planes fly ovehead

his home all day long. Now it seems weird when you hear a plane go past his home.

My friends daughter lives in France, he used to be able to fly direct from Lambert to Paris but not

anymore.

QUOTE (BrownIndian @ Mar 16 2010, 11:25 AM)

" However, my experience indicates that these snobby East Coast types want nothing to do with SLU. " This is from the Billie fan that what to Atlantic City.

Maybe the committee took to heart what RM is complaining about all of the travel to the far off Eastern Front AND the lack of study time for the players.

The A10 commissioner Should be fighting for teams to get in, it make our Conference stronger. The Billies should be going to the NIT.

BUT, I have only one word " Midnight Jimmy ".

There are three types of people. Those who can count and those who can't.

What do you expect from a welding major.

"Midnight Jimmy's" choke job at SLU last month cost URI a trip to the Big Dance. :o

What does "Midnight" Jimmy mean anyway? Is that what time he wets his bed? Is that what time it was when he bolted out of Bonnie land?

Majerus raised millions for MacGuire Center and Marq still won't play SLU this makes me hate them more.

Standing invitation to all Jesuit schools to play ball.

Majerus may want to join "Old Warsaw" Country Club but can't if they won't have him

Bernie says they should start it a club for Pols

Majerus replies they will serve perogis

Perogis sound real good especially some potato onion and cheese

No offense, but why should MU play SLU? It makes no economic sense. SLU is going to want a home-home, so that means MU has to give up a home game to play in St. Louis. So, MU gives up $400,000-$500,000 in gate revenue, for what? It is doubtful the game will be on national tv. MU has no players from the St. Louis area. The game will not draw more in Milwaukee than a traditional buy game. It doesn't make sense. Now, I am sure that MU would be willing to play a 1 and done in Milwaukee. But, SLU won't do that, nor should they.

Further, MU has a limited history with SLU. It is not a longtime rival. Yes, we were in the same conference for about 15 years, but prior to that, the schools rarely played. In the past 15 years, I believe that MU has played at Loyola, Santa Clara, Fordham, Xavier, Dayton, Detroit, San Francisco, and others. However, with a $23 million athletic budget, the school needs to play as many home games as possible. It already has an ongoing home-home with Wisconsin, and has 2 for 1s with UWGB and UWM. That leaves room for 1 road game (2 on the outside) and a tournament each year. Next year, MU is playing at USC. In 2011, MU is playing at LSU. Sorry, ESPN has is significantly more interest in BCS schools, than A-10 schools.

Put it this way, should SLU play a home-home with say Drake, a school with which SLU has a fairly long history with (83 games), even if it didn't make financial sense? Why not? Why isn't Rick willing to give up a home gate to do a favor for an old rival? What about Loyola? SLU has a long history with them. Its another Jesuit school. I don't see SLU having home-homes with them? Detroit anyone? Schools have to do what is in the best interest of their program to be successful. We are dealing with big money here.

I am curious, how much does MU make from the basketball program? Not being smart, I just have no idea.

Good luck finding that info like SLU MU is a private Jesuit institution and they do not release numbers at all. To find out you'd have to know someone waaaay up in the AD willing to divulge a top secret figure. Good luck though if someone can find out I'm very interested to find out some numbers.

No offense, but why should MU play SLU? It makes no economic sense. SLU is going to want a home-home, so that means MU has to give up a home game to play in St. Louis. So, MU gives up $400,000-$500,000 in gate revenue, for what? It is doubtful the game will be on national tv. MU has no players from the St. Louis area. The game will not draw more in Milwaukee than a traditional buy game. It doesn't make sense. Now, I am sure that MU would be willing to play a 1 and done in Milwaukee. But, SLU won't do that, nor should they.

Further, MU has a limited history with SLU. It is not a longtime rival. Yes, we were in the same conference for about 15 years, but prior to that, the schools rarely played. In the past 15 years, I believe that MU has played at Loyola, Santa Clara, Fordham, Xavier, Dayton, Detroit, San Francisco, and others. However, with a $23 million athletic budget, the school needs to play as many home games as possible. It already has an ongoing home-home with Wisconsin, and has 2 for 1s with UWGB and UWM. That leaves room for 1 road game (2 on the outside) and a tournament each year. Next year, MU is playing at USC. In 2011, MU is playing at LSU. Sorry, ESPN has is significantly more interest in BCS schools, than A-10 schools.

Put it this way, should SLU play a home-home with say Drake, a school with which SLU has a fairly long history with (83 games), even if it didn't make financial sense? Why not? Why isn't Rick willing to give up a home gate to do a favor for an old rival? What about Loyola? SLU has a long history with them. Its another Jesuit school. I don't see SLU having home-homes with them? Detroit anyone? Schools have to do what is in the best interest of their program to be successful. We are dealing with big money here.

SLU and Marquette have played 54 times- Marquette leads the series 31-23, and SLU more than held its own with Marquette when they were both in the MCC, the Great Midwest, and C-USA. Larry Hughes once torched Marquette for 40 points in Milwaukee. Spoon had a 9-7 record against his Marquette counterparts.

When Marquette was still an Independent, SLU played at Marquette in 1978 the year after Marquette won the National Championship. I remember listening to that game with Bob Costas at the mike. The next year, my freshman year at SLU, Marquette returned the visit and played SLU at The Checkerdome (Arena). The teams last played in 2005, after which Marquette bolted for the bright lights of the Big East. So it is not correct that Marquette has a "limited history" with SLU.

Marquette does have a limited history with West Virginia, Rutgers, UConn, etc.

As for Drake, SLU leads the all-time series 53-30, but the teams have not met since 1987, which was the last year of a 4 year stretch of single games. Before that the schools had not played since 1976. The reason for all those games was that Drake and SLU were both in the Missouri Conference Conference, which SLU left after the 1974 season.

I understand the economics. But Marquette and SLU are very similar institutions. They are among the best of the Jesuit schools and are not that far apart geographically. They should be playing each other in basketball. Maybe it will take intervention from the Jesuits themselves to get this series back on line, although that evidently has not been effective so far.

Re Loyola and Detroit, SLU has played recent home and homes with both of them.

SLU played a home and home with Detroit in 2007-08 and 2008-09, splitting the games, each winning on its home court. SLU leads that series 29-15.

SLU played a home and home with Loyola-Chicago in 2006-07 and 2007-08, with SLU sweeping the 2 games. However, Loyola leads the all-time series 24 to 22.

So this shows that SLU has played Marquette (54 games) more than Detroit (44 games) and Loyola (46 games). And the Detroit and Loyola home and homes show that SLU is practicing what it preaches re Marquette.

Resume the Marquette series. Marquette should not act like a big BCS football school vis-a-vis SLU.

Rather than Drake, if there is one old MVC rival whose series should be resumed, it is Bradley.

Bradley was once St. Louis U's biggest rival of all, a true rival in every sense. As a kid growing up in Downstate Illinois in the 1960's and 1970's, I was often told about the great SLU-Bradley games in the 1950's before I was born, about Bradley trying to steal the Billiken at the old Kiel Auditorium, etc.

Even out here, I talk sometimes to a 75 year old transplant from Wisconsin, who has lived out here for years. But he remembers listening on the radio in Northern Wisconsin to SLU v. Bradley battles.

Bradley and SLU have played 69 times, with Bradley regrettably leading the all-time series 43-26. But the two have not played since 1995, 15 years ago.

In the early formative years under Rich Grawer, Coach Grawer understood the importance of this old rivalry.

Chicken ######.

Good luck finding that info like SLU MU is a private Jesuit institution and they do not release numbers at all. To find out you'd have to know someone waaaay up in the AD willing to divulge a top secret figure. Good luck though if someone can find out I'm very interested to find out some numbers.

MU spends about $10.3 million on hoops. The most in the Big East.

NY Times Article

Rather than Drake, if there is one old MVC rival whose series should be resumed, it is Bradley.

Bradley was once St. Louis U's biggest rival of all, a true rival in every sense. As a kid growing up in Downstate Illinois in the 1960's and 1970's, I was often told about the great SLU-Bradley games in the 1950's before I was born, about Bradley trying to steal the Billiken at the old Kiel Auditorium, etc.

Even out here, I talk sometimes to a 75 year old transplant from Wisconsin, who has lived out here for years. But he remembers listening on the radio in Northern Wisconsin to SLU v. Bradley battles.

Bradley and SLU have played 69 times, with Bradley regrettably leading the all-time series 43-26. But the two have not played since 1995, 15 years ago.

In the early formative years under Rich Grawer, Coach Grawer understood the importance of this old rivalry.

Bradley was a hated rival back in the days of the old Kiel Auditorium. From the games I attended in the 60's and 70's it seemed like Bradley got the best of the Billikens and that would be a good team to get a home and home.

A team from our past that we should play again is Butler. They are one of the best mid majors and a team that the BCS teams do not like to run into early on in the NCAA Tourney. Since we are stepping things up in our play, I believe we would have some darn competitive games with them.