Oh Willie!

Schasz

He played a good game except he could not hit foul shots to save his soul and his misses came at such crucial points in this game. Please shoot thousands of foul shots during the offseason big guy.

can't agree more - it was painful to watch Willie at the foul line

can't agree more - it was painful to watch Willie at the foul line

What was even more painful were some of the shots X made... the sliding fall down bank shot belonged in the Olympics... give it a 10. Then the put back by Love, and he was fouled, was a triple axle. Tough to watch some of the junk they threw up, make that vomit, that went in. Actually, now that I think about it, I think I'm gonna vomit.

Willie was great tonight, but seriously....you can take any below average 8 year old and he'll give you the same result if not better from the free throw line...........refs didn't help, but slu cost themselves in the end.........i think for sure, Xavier didn't "win"....slu lost that game at the line......great effort though....tough to leave us all disappointed. At-large bid is gone, but we for sure showed we can play with Xavier and that we might even be the better team.

What was even more painful were some of the shots X made... the sliding fall down bank shot belonged in the Olympics... give it a 10. Then the put back by Love, and he was fouled, was a triple axle. Tough to watch some of the junk they threw up, make that vomit, that went in. Actually, now that I think about it, I think I'm gonna vomit.

Six points on circus shots, IIRC.

Willie was great tonight, but seriously....you can take any below average 8 year old and he'll give you the same result if not better from the free throw line...........refs didn't help, but slu cost themselves in the end.........i think for sure, Xavier didn't "win"....slu lost that game at the line......great effort though....tough to leave us all disappointed. At-large bid is gone, but we for sure showed we can play with Xavier and that we might even be the better team.

I wouldn't count out the dance bid. 3 games left. We go 3-0 and a nice run to the finals of the A-10 we're still a possible. We got beat by some junk tonite. Yeah, WR's FT's hurt but that wasn't the reason we lost.

Just back from the game--a few observations:

With the exception of Willie's really poor free throw shooting we played a really great game.

Willie played a fantastic game and played big among the trees--he got pushed around but he hung in there and made some nice baskets and got some great contested rebounds. He is really becoming a star and if he can hone the free throw stroke he will be the best center in the last 30 years for the Billikens.

I never saw a team make so many sort of lucky shots than Xavier in this game. Off balance throws off the backboard, shots while falling down, shots while falling out of bounds--wow-- they really killed us with those shots. If you are a fan of X you say they were not lucky at all but were skillful plays but boy when you make that many then luck plays a part.

We saw a new side to Cody Ellis and it makes you dream a bit as to how good we would have been if he had been here all year. He is a better player now than when he arrived and his overall game is much more complete, including some nice drives to the basket.

KM played tough as nails against a phalanx of good guards. He is a warrior and mentally tough. Wonderful game against a very good team. His 3 ball at the end looked good and was just an inch short. It would have been one of the most memorable shots ever if it had gone in and we had won the game!

Kyle played very tough defense and chased 55 all over the court thru hundreds of screens. The guy hit some amazing shots over just great defense with a hand in his face. Kyle also really played a great floor game but his shot was a bit off. Those four guys played their hearts out and really on a lot of nights we would have won this game.

The fans were great and the students were fantastic. When we went down 13 no one gave up on the team or in the stands and to cut it to two with a nice shot at 3 to win in the end was a tribute to the guts of the team and the wonderful fans.

This was an absolutely fantastic game and the team played even with a very athletic strong good team. X looks like they could be a load for anyone to play in the big dance. You can never be happy with a loss but this team can hold its head up high!!!!!!

With the exception of Willie's really poor free throw shooting we played a really great game.

Willie played a fantastic game and played big among the trees--he got pushed around but he hung in there and made some nice baskets and got some great contested rebounds. He is really becoming a star and if he can hone the free throw stroke he will be the best center in the last 30 years for the Billikens.

I never saw a team make so many sort of lucky shots than Xavier in this game. Off balance throws off the backboard, shots while falling down, shots while falling out of bounds--wow-- they really killed us with those shots. If you are a fan of X you say they were not lucky at all but were skillful plays but boy when you make that many then luck plays a part.

We saw a new side to Cody Ellis and it makes you dream a bit as to how good we would have been if he had been here all year. He is a better player now than when he arrived and his overall game is much more complete, including some nice drives to the basket.

KM played tough as nails against a phalanx of good guards. He is a warrior and mentally tough. Wonderful game against a very good team. His 3 ball at the end looked good and was just an inch short. It would have been one of the most memorable shots ever if it had gone in and we had won the game!

Kyle played very tough defense and chased 55 all over the court thru hundreds of screens. The guy hit some amazing shots over just great defense with a hand in his face. Kyle also really played a great floor game but his shot was a bit off. Those four guys played their hearts out and really on a lot of nights we would have won this game.

The fans were great and the students were fantastic. When we went down 13 no one gave up on the team or in the stands and to cut it to two with a nice shot at 3 to win in the end was a tribute to the guts of the team and the wonderful fans.

This was an absolutely fantastic game and the team played even with a very athletic strong good team. X looks like they could be a load for anyone to play in the big dance. You can never be happy with a loss but this team can hold its head up high!!!!!!

Great game but it is tough when you go for the three to win at home when you had a chance to go for two and get into overtime with an x enforcer out with 5 fouls; Xaiver really a lot more mature than us. They certainly knew they could beat on Willie and he would come up empty at the free throw line.

Refs were not calling steps on X; We were missing talent to cover two or three match ups; we did really well against the best talent we have faced this year. I hope X represents the A10 well in the tournament this year. I would like to see us continue to play this level of basketball. This is going to be

a great team if RM has two players that can get significant minutes as frehmen next year, With Reed and Ellis as forwards we could really use Loe at center.

It was frustrating watching Willie.

He made his first one of the night and then it all went downhill.

The next two made about 3 rotations around the rim before finally spitting out

And after that it just got ugly. With each miss his confidence sharnk and each miss was further off.

I feel bad for the guy. He played a hell of a game and Im sure he is feeling pretty down about now.

Billikan, I watched on TV and agree with everything you posted. Some of those X shots had me scratching my head. They were prayers at best. X will be a tough out in the dance. And hopefully so will we. I'm more convinced we can finish 11-5 now and make a nice run in the A-10. It just might do it. But if not this year, wait unitl next year. SLU is arriving.

I thought some of those off balance prayers looked like traveling but no calls from the zebras as they were probably to freaking amazed to blow their whistles. Like you I thought Willie's last trey attempt was going to be good. We just let them have too large of a run in the 2nd half and the way we played in the 1st half I sure did not see that coming.

I do feel bad for Willie because he played his heart out and heck if he just makes 5 0f 9 then we win the darn game. We did show that we can play with the very best in this league and that bodes well for the rest of this year and the years to come with this group of players.

And after that it just got ugly. With each miss his confidence sharnk and each miss was further off.

I feel bad for the guy. He played a hell of a game and Im sure he is feeling pretty down about now.

Hated to hear so many leaving the arena commenting that Willie killed us, etc.

Actually, most of his free throws except one had good form, good spin, in and out, just did not go in.

Feel bad for him too, he was fired up, fought some NBA beef types under the basket all night, did well, another double double.

Great game, numerous factors, Ellis with 3 fouls early 2nd half hurt us, they went on a run.

Ellis helps us in more ways than the stats indicate... showed some new aspects of his game tonite.

KM with 3 with 10 seconds for the win... in and out. He played great game.

Refs allowed physical play, equal on both sides but that helped Xavier in the long run.

Damn, those off balance shots, off the backboard, etc, by Xavier were incredible.

Nothing to be ashamed of... Xavier is best in the league IMO. :o

One third of the time he spins the ball horizontally as he releases; half of the time he seems to have a depth perception problem. I really do wonder if he needs glasses or he hashad his sight tested. Obviously, he is great near the basket and his rebounding is great due to his quickness and leaping height.

I agree he has great potential but in a tight ballgame when the other team knows they can foul him with no penalty Willie has a big X on his back.

One third of the time he spins the ball horizontally as he releases; half of the time he seems to have a depth perception problem. I really do wonder if he needs glasses or he hashad his sight tested. Obviously, he is great near the basket and his rebounding is great due to his quickness and leaping height.

I agree he has great potential but in a tight ballgame when the other team knows they can foul him with no penalty Willie has a big X on his back.

There are times, not really tonight, when Willie seems to release the ball with backspin and pretty good form--although maybe a bit too high. Tonight most shots seemed to have a bit of sidespin which would cause them to spin around the rim or off the side. I would love to see him try to eliminate all of that sidespin!

Kyle played very tough defense and chased 55 all over the court thru hundreds of screens. The guy hit some amazing shots over just great defense with a hand in his face. Kyle also really played a great floor game but his shot was a bit off. Those four guys played their hearts out and really on a lot of nights we would have won this game.The fans were great and the students were fantastic. When we went down 13 no one gave up on the team or in the stands and to cut it to two with a nice shot at 3 to win in the end was a tribute to the guts of the team and the wonderful fans.

So the rest of the boys that took the court didnt give it all .

That must have been the problem RM only played with 4 players tonight

Biggest peace of garbage i have read for a long time

Hmph! What you've done is what they call putting words in people's mouths. You're the one spewing garbage. Affectionately.

+1 If you showed me only our side of the box score, I would have thought we won the game w/o too much difficulty. However, Crawford is a stud and they had some circus shots that NEVER go in. Surprisingly, our D is what let us down today, letting them shoot a high percentage from the field and giving up too many offensive boards.

Willie's FT shooting was obviously disappointing, but we had so many opportunities to take control of the game, you can't single the kid out. He played great other than those adventures at the FT line. Overall, a great effort by the billikids... Most impressive stat of the night: SLU 17 assists to 6 turnovers

Hey dirtbag-- you are always an idiot on this board and you have emphasized it with this post. Of course the other guys played hard but those four were the key players in this game.

i think bottom line, xu won. no one billiken "lost" the game. i was disappointed willie was 2-12 (two front end of 1-1's in my book is the same as two more missed shots) from the free throw line, but even then, the shots crawford, holloway and love made were spectacular and that was the biggest difference maker imo. crawford looks like an nba player to me. same with love. i think of theo ratliff and the years he has been in the nba and think love brings more to the table right now than theo is still giving.

that said, at some point rickma has to think about taking reed out at the end of games imo. if i am the opposing coach i would beat the hell out of willie down the stretch to make him shoot free throws. there is just no way around it. cant have him in the game down the stretch of a close game anymore imo.

but anyway, it was a fun game, coulda won. and down the road we will win those games.