Team Progression

moytoy12

Saying that we're the youngest team in D1, while being reality, is an excuse for our performances (or specific things that happen during the game). A valid excuse perhaps, but an excuse nonetheless. I'd rather take a comparative approach to see if we're actually improving or regressing.

With that said:

KM: Regressed from the beginning of the season. Trying to do too much. Too much shot-taker and not enough playmaker.

JJ: Regressed slightly. Still gets abused defensively and not getting as many shots. I like JJ, I just wish he wouldn't get killed on the crossover so much.

CS: Regressed. A black hole offensively, but his defense has improved. If he ever finds that shot...

KC: Improved. Still has the tough turnover here and there, but shot has improved and overall game has improved.

JS: Big improvement. Hope he can start making some 8-10 foot jumpers, but keep on keepin' on Mr. Smif.

WR: Regressed. Tentative. Turnover prone. No fire. Also, having tough time since the other teams are focusing on him more.

CR: Regressed. Was a defensive factor early on, but now seems to be a non-factor.

BC: Regressed. FT's! Missing short shots. Injury seems to be hampering him.

RM: Regressed. An inspired (if not entirely successful) team early on has looked lethargic lately. He was out coached by Hobbs! Perhaps the recent distractions (at least partially of his own doing) have hurt his focus.

FJ: N/A

JR: N/A

PE: N/A

CE: N/A

DY: N/A

Team: Neutral to slightly Regressed. CE's arrival plus JS and KC's improvement has been offset by KM, WR, BC and CS's decreased effectiveness. Also, as teams have become more familiar with WR, they are forcing other SLU players to make an impact. The lack of a true SG is killing us. We're a perimeter team where our PG is forcing shots because of the lack of outside threats. Hopefully, CE's integration provides us the outside pop (we have evidence of that), which might open up the inside game for WR. I hope WR finds his fire. Also, FJ and JR being out is killing our depth. Hope they both get healthy.

DISCLAIMER: I'm still a Bills fan even though I don't see things as being entirely rosey right now. I have man-love for all the players on this team and think RM is building quite the foundation. I'm just trying to give an objective look at things.

Saying that we're the youngest team in D1, while being reality, is an excuse for our performances (or specific things that happen during the game). A valid excuse perhaps, but an excuse nonetheless. I'd rather take a comparative approach to see if we're actually improving or regressing.

With that said:

KM: Regressed from the beginning of the season. Trying to do too much. Too much shot-taker and not enough playmaker.

JJ: Regressed slightly. Still gets abused defensively and not getting as many shots. I like JJ, I just wish he wouldn't get killed on the crossover so much.

CS: Regressed. A black hole offensively, but his defense has improved. If he ever finds that shot...

KC: Improved. Still has the tough turnover here and there, but shot has improved and overall game has improved.

JS: Big improvement. Hope he can start making some 8-10 foot jumpers, but keep on keepin' on Mr. Smif.

WR: Regressed. Tentative. Turnover prone. No fire. Also, having tough time since the other teams are focusing on him more.

CR: Regressed. Was a defensive factor early on, but now seems to be a non-factor.

RM: Regressed. An inspired (if not entirely successful) team early on has looked lethargic lately. He was out coached by Hobbs! Perhaps the recent distractions (at least partially of his own doing) have hurt his focus.

Team: Neutral to slightly Regressed. CE's arrival plus JS and KC's improvement has been offset by KM, WR, BC and CS's decreased effectiveness. Also, as teams have become more familiar with WR, they are forcing other SLU players to make an impact. The lack of a true SG is killing us. We're a perimeter team where our PG is forcing shots because of the lack of outside threats. Hopefully, CE's integration provides us the outside pop (we have evidence of that), which might open up the inside game for WR. I hope WR finds his fire. Also, FJ and JR being out is killing our depth. Hope they both get healthy.

DISCLAIMER: I'm still a Bills fan even though I don't see things as being entirely rosey right now. I have man-love for all the players on this team and think RM is building quite the foundation. I'm just trying to give an objective look at things.

This is not a criticism of you Toy but a criticism of this whole board. When we win a couple of games everybody gets upbeat and talks about going to the tourney. If we lose a couple of games,whoa is me, this team will never win another game and everyone sucks. We all need to calm down.

Great analysis Moy. I have trouble pointing out any points I don't agree with.

If I could point out one issue with this current team that would really help everything else fall into place it would be Willie's mojo. Earlier this year this kid had a confidence about him that was visible before the game even started and it continued after the opening tip. He was receiving a pass on the post and not hesitating on his way to the basket. In fact, after the Mo State game their fans were drooling over Willie's ability.

Since his benching he has been a different player. He is receiving the post pass and not reacting quickly enough. As Coach would say, he seems to have developed a little "paralysis by analysis." Yes he is getting doubled more than earlier but in my opinion that is not what has caused his decline in effectiveness. He seems to be his own worst enemy right now. He needs a breakout game (hopefully on Wednesday) to get that swagger back and when he does it will open things up for everyone else.

This is not a criticism of you Toy but a criticism of this whole board. When we win a couple of games everybody gets upbeat and talks about going to the tourney. If we lose a couple of games,whoa is me, this team will never win another game and everyone sucks. We all need to calm down.

Willie, I think you are dead on. I probably am more negative than I should be because of recent outcomes.

which is why I posted the thread showing that we have these types of losses every year and most years more frequently. I would bet if you looked any team with an RPI where we have been the last decade, you will find the same thing.

which is why I posted the thread showing that we have these types of losses every year and most years more frequently. I would bet if you looked any team with an RPI where we have been the last decade, you will find the same thing.

I agree. Also, the weird thing is if we made a couple more free throws(literally 2 more free throws) against Charlotte and GW people on here would be talking how we can win the conference and hopefully sneak in to the tournament.

I agree. Also, the weird thing is if we made a couple more free throws(literally 2 more free throws) against Charlotte and GW people on here would be talking how we can win the conference and hopefully sneak in to the tournament.

In the same vein, if we didn't play so dreadfully for the first 10 minutes of each of the UNCC and GW games, then we'd probably be looking at W's. At the mid-season point, I think we should expect more than to come out and score a combined 20 points in the first 20 minutes of those games.

I don't think my analysis was over the top negative.

One consideration for the problem in the last two games is that SLU went from the Hobbes all out free form running offense to the Princeton offense of the Spiders in just a few days. They almost won the first one and then were stymied by the second one.

Also it may seem there is some regression just because the non-con was not all that tough and now we are playing some decent teams.

Maybe the team was just a little hesitant playing that game in DC in front of the President.*

*President of DC SLU Alumni Club

In the same vein, if we didn't play so dreadfully for the first 10 minutes of each of the UNCC and GW games, then we'd probably be looking at W's. At the mid-season point, I think we should expect more than to come out and score a combined 20 points in the first 20 minutes of those games.

I don't think my analysis was over the top negative.

never said you were being overly negative I was just making a point that it isnt as bad as some people make it out to be. This team needs to improve and gel together as a team but I think this offseason is where you really see improvement both indivually and as a team.

never said you were being overly negative I was just making a point that it isnt as bad as some people make it out to be. This team needs to improve and gel together as a team but I think this offseason is where you really see improvement both indivually and as a team.

Prairie View A&M went 0-28 in 1992, but I don't think that team had any problem "gelling" if you will. I don't think the gel-factor is what it used to be. Maybe teams had problems gelling in the early days of integration, but these kids know what the "team concept" is.

I think talent and mental preparedness has a lot more to do than a team "gelling." Maybe Dr. Scholl or Collective Soul could tell us more about the subject?

With that said:

I Like you as a poster MoyToy but I disagree with a large portion of this post.

First of all, you have to consider the competition. Richmond may be the best team we have faced all year, and we had to play them on the road. Secondly, you cannot use that game as a basis for how our players have improved, we played horribly and I don't thin that was their true ability.

If this team right now (even without cody) played the beginning of the year's team, I think we kill them.

Lets try not to get too down after two disappointing losses, we are still in the upper half of the A-10 right now.

I Like you as a poster MoyToy but I disagree with a large portion of this post.

First of all, you have to consider the competition. Richmond may be the best team we have faced all year, and we had to play them on the road. Secondly, you cannot use that game as a basis for how our players have improved, we played horribly and I don't thin that was their true ability.

If this team right now (even without cody) played the beginning of the year's team, I think we kill them.

Lets try not to get too down after two disappointing losses, we are still in the upper half of the A-10 right now.

Fair points. I wasn't trying to use the Richmond game, but I'm sure it shaded my view. However, I think a lot of what I noted could be said about the players in general over the last 3-4 games.

I'm definitely not too down on the guys, I just think some of have regressed and the team as a whole has, at worst, regressed slightly from the start of the season for various reasons (e.g. like you and others pointed out, we're playing better competition).

Fair points. I wasn't trying to use the Richmond game, but I'm sure it shaded my view. However, I think a lot of what I noted could be said about the players in general over the last 3-4 games.

I'm definitely not too down on the guys, I just think some of have regressed and the team as a whole has, at worst, regressed slightly from the start of the season for various reasons (e.g. like you and others pointed out, we're playing better competition).

I would say the only players that have regressed are CS (lost his shot) BC and WR )lost his swagger.

But even there, id take CS over a freshman Danny Brown or BC over a Barry Eberhardt, or WR over a sophomore Ian any day.

These guys are playing more minutes than someone with their experience should, so theyre flaws will be exposed, its only natural.

I probably am more negative than I should be because of recent outcomes.

I am currently in the midst of my annual "I can't belive I paid $1,000 for season tickets" mode.

Then, like the sucker I am, I will eagerly shell out $1,000 for season tickets next year.

I am currently in the midst of my annual "I can't belive I paid $1,000 for season tickets" mode.

Then, like the sucker I am, I will eagerly shell out $1,000 for season tickets next year.

Get Baby Box on the juice, win that Baby Race and say hello to your $1,000!

I would say the only players that have regressed are CS (lost his shot) BC and WR )lost his swagger.

But even there, id take CS over a freshman Danny Brown or BC over a Barry Eberhardt, or WR over a sophomore Ian any day.

These guys are playing more minutes than someone with their experience should, so theyre flaws will be exposed, its only natural.

Have you watched KM the last few games when the game is still in question?

The points he has put up lately have been when the games are not close. He is trying to do way too much at times.

Have you watched KM the last few games when the game is still in question?

The points he has put up lately have been when the games are not close. He is trying to do way too much at times.

W/o IV, and with opposing teams no longer needing to sag in the land and/or double down low on IV, TL and KL looked more ordinary. Also, with other teams focusing on KL and TL, KM got alot of open looks. This year, KM is, and has been, carrying the load and, quite frankly, it gets tiring.

W/o IV, and with opposing teams no longer needing to sag in the land and/or double down low on IV, TL and KL looked more ordinary. Also, with other teams focusing on KL and TL, KM got alot of open looks. This year, KM is, and has been, carrying the load and, quite frankly, it gets tiring.

what frustrates me about the picture with kwamain right now is that it would seem if he is truly drawing the attention, he should be increasing scoring for those around him. reed has also regressed, conklin has regressed even more. ellis of course has been splendid, but most of his looks are coming from cassity. just seems mitchell should be able to drive and dish more. instead now rickma has him playnig without the ball more (my guess is it is designed to try to save his energy so he can do more down the stretch if needed) which really makes it harder for him to even get touches.

we need the chicago kids. :lol:

what frustrates me about the picture with kwamain right now is that it would seem if he is truly drawing the attention, he should be increasing scoring for those around him. reed has also regressed, conklin has regressed even more. ellis of course has been splendid, but most of his looks are coming from cassity. just seems mitchell should be able to drive and dish more. instead now rickma has him playnig without the ball more (my guess is it is designed to try to save his energy so he can do more down the stretch if needed) which really makes it harder for him to even get touches.

we need the chicago kids. :lol:

Conklin has regressed because he has had injuries.

Conklin has regressed because he has had injuries.

Conklin has a number of injuries, with the latest being an Achilles injury. CE and JJ are both sick. Femi is out as we all know and CS has a broken J and no confidence. We are down to nine players and we are really banged up.

A nice win at home is needed badly because another long trip to PA is at hand.