Depaul and Majerus

bbill

I heard Kevin Slaten saying that Majerus has been talking to Depaul. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Would be closer to his Mom and a better conference, but that program is a mess.

He is clearly very unhappy with the travel/conference. Seems surprising he has been this vocal with the program apparently on the verge of really good things.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard Kevin Slaten saying that Majerus has been talking to Depaul. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

He is clearly very unhappy with the travel/conference. Seems surprising he has been this vocal with the program apparently on the verge of really good things.

this thread will go no where good. I dont really on Slaten for any information, especially billikens.

Rick would be a fool to go to DePaul when he has just gotten all of his players here.

If this is anything it is just Rickma trying to get leverage on the charter flight issue. No way he goes to DePaul to start over at a program in worse shape than SLU was when he took over and has one of the worst facility situations in the country.

My guess it is nothing more than some negative recruiting or wishful thinking on the part of some people that don't like Rickma at SLU.

I'm not sure he'd be doing this during the season. I'm also not sure he's a great fit for DePaul. How much longer is he going to coach?

Of course I could be wrong, but I doubt very seriously that Majerus will coach anywhere other than SLU. The guy is 61, obviously not in the greatest health, has been here a little over 2 years, has made serious progress toward building a very good team and seems to like the school and the city. I can't imagine that he would relish the idea of starting all over at a place like DePaul and all that would need to change there to even approach the potential he has at Saint Louis. He also seems to really like his players. Unless he is totally ticked about some recent issue I just can't see it. Billikan, what is your take. You are an insider.

This is not good. I hadn't even thought about this but it’s very plausible. He'd be way closer to his mom, easier recruiting to DePaul, and a better conference. SLU has superior facilities, obviously, but the move makes a lot of sense for him. The benefit of SLU is low stress, no expectations, and a one newspaper town. In Chicago, you have a big market and probably a bigger salary. I'm hoping this isn't true but it makes a lot of sense.

This is not good. I hadn't even thought about this but it’s very plausible. He'd be way closer to his mom, easier recruiting to DePaul, and a better conference. SLU has superior facilities, obviously, but the move makes a lot of sense for him. The benefit of SLU is low stress, no expectations, and a one newspaper town. In Chicago, you have a big market and probably a bigger salary. I'm hoping this isn't true but it makes a lot of sense.

What would really be great for the big man is that he wouldn't have any more long trips to the East Coast. Just like he prefers in the MVC, everything in the BE is in the Midwest!

The biggest reason he will not go to Depaul is that the conf. is too tough and he would not have enough time to do anything but tarnish the legend he clings to at Utah.

Nope, I say he stays here and continues to build the program in a conference without coaches named Pitino, Calhoun, Boeheim, Thompson, Wright and so on.

Slow down. Take a step back and think about this. Kevin Slaton is a commentator and really more like a bomb thrower, which is unfortunately all too common in today's radio. He is not a reporter. He does not like SLU or Majerus and has made that very clear. He is likely just looking for something to rant about. If Majerus were to leak something like this, it would not be to Slaton or if this tidbit was picked up by an inside source, it would not be Slaton who would have scooped that news. Majerus would likely leak it to Bernie Miklasz, who considers Majerus a friend, if there was anything to this. Coupled with the fact that nobody nationally has mentioned his name in connection with the job, there doesn't appear to be anything to it.

Some of you are not wise to be so confident that Majerus will stay here.

He is the one in the position of strength.

Think, are you sure is he happy with a lot of things around here? And people around here?

I hope he stays, but am concerned...

(fyi I am not going by what that slimeball Slaten is saying)

I suspect Rick Majerus would retire from coaching altogether before he would take the DePaul job out of frustration. I believe he'll stay at SLU as long as he enjoys the coaching aspect and his health holds up. Don't think he hasn't endured disappointing circumstances elsewhere during his career.

Things like a tiff with Willie Reed in practice might have more to do with frustrating Majerus than news reports about a radio show and talk of bumping heads with the president over charter flights.

If Biondi and Majerus are in a stare down, it's no holds bared. Anything goes. God only knows how it ends. I wish they would just go sumo and get the issue settled one way or the other. Still, I'd be shocked if Rick was doing anything more than flirting with DePaul to rile Biondi. He's finally got the recruiting pipeline flowing. Would he throw it all away to fly planes to games on the east coast in the Big East? I know Rick is hard headed but it takes a true cement head to pull a move like that, reset the clock at age 61 with a kagillion clogged arteries. Then again, the man is monumentally stubborn.

If Biondi and Majerus are in a stare down, it's no holds bared. Anything goes. God only knows how it ends. I wish they would just go sumo and get the issue settled one way or the other. Still, I'd be shocked if Rick was doing anything more than flirting with DePaul to rile Biondi. He's finally got the recruiting pipeline flowing. Would he throw it all away to fly planes to games on the east coast in the Big East? I know Rick is hard headed but it takes a true cement head to pull a move like that, reset the clock at age 61 with a kagillion clogged arteries. Then again, the man is monumentally stubborn.

Neither of those men is big enough to be a sumo wrestler, for real.

Neither of those men is big enough to be a sumo wrestler, for real.

But the angriest in-game Rick stance (as I like to call "Charging Bull Stance") is intimidating and fierce enough to knock anyone on his @$$ (leaning forward, hands on thighs). I like to refer to his other stances as cave man (standing straight up, arms at sides, fists nearly clenched), and the model (standing straight up, hands on hips).

Biondi would win. If RM wants to go let him go. I believe SLU would have no problem attracting a big name coach now that it has the "Fetz" and the probability of offering a big time salary. RM is not the only coach who can recruit well and help big men improve their game.

Biondi would win. If RM wants to go let him go. I believe SLU would have no problem attracting a big name coach now that it has the "Fetz" and the probability of offering a big time salary. RM is not the only coach who can recruit well and help big men improve their game.

I agree. No one man is bigger than the team, just what Rickma preaches. If he wants to be elsewhere then so be it, I sure hope not though.

If Biondi would run off Majerus after what a lot of coaches think was a raw deal that Brad got................... This job wouldn't be at the top of any coaches list. They will find someone to fill the job, but it will be someone who has some kind of flaw. It may work out or it could go down in flames.

Not one of the coaches who left here during Biondi's tenure talks highly of him. Not one.

If Biondi would run off Majerus after what a lot of coaches think was a raw deal that Brad got................... This job wouldn't be at the top of any coaches list. They will find someone to fill the job, but it will be someone who has some kind of flaw. It may work out or it could go down in flames.

Not one of the coaches who left here during Biondi's tenure talks highly of him. Not one.

If you're throwing $1 million per year around, you'll find a coach who will put up with Biond. And a pretty good coach at that.

If you're throwing $1 million per year around, you'll find a coach who will put up with Biond. And a pretty good coach at that.

Most of the good coaches can get the same pay somewhere else. Just like Majerus could have. He choose SLU for other reasons besides the money. You are going to have to really over pay for a proven coach or have to slightly overpay for an up and comer who may drop you for the big job he is gunning for in two years.

Basically running of Majerus over charter flights is stupid on so many levels and the most important to Biondi should be money. Running him off over this will cost the program more money in the long run than the charter flights would have.

Rick isn't going anywhere. I know a lot of folks think he is a jerk...but I think he really likes his players on this team, and even if he is getting jerked around by Biondi (which we really have no proof of but are just speculating about), I think he has enough integrity to look past that for the good of his players and his promise to them. Look, this is just my opinion..there are no facts backing this up, it's just how I feel. He's not going to Depaul...what a hell hole that place is. Their arena is a complete joke. I just can't see him leaving after all the crap he went through for/with Ellis..etc.

Go Bills