OT: wainwright fired at DePaul

-what does firing a coach now do for you depaul? lower expectations for teh rest of the year perhaps

-maybe you are telling someone at espn/fox/cbs hey, you will be my next coach, go "recruit" while you are not my coach and current coaches can't so you can load up on talent to bring with you

-there was an article posted here i think when we were playing in chicago that wondered why rick was not considered at depaul

-if someone asked me about high school bball hotbeds chicago would be high on the list, granted everyone recruits there, but for depaul to have fallen to this level with the talent in their area is a surprise to me

Guest BillikenReport

Will be interesting to see what happens with this job.

This is not good for SLU if the Billikens are going to try to focus more on recruiting Chicago — and the Billikens are recruiting some younger kids from that area.

Southern Illinois coach Chris Lowery has already been mentioned as a candidate, mainly because of his assistant coach Lance Irvin and the recruiting connections they have in Illinois. I wouldn't be surprised if interim coach Tracey Webster ends up with the job.

Dayton coach Brian Gregory has also been mentioned as a candidate.

This is not good for SLU if the Billikens are going to try to focus more on recruiting Chicago — and the Billikens are recruiting some younger kids from that area.

Southern Illinois coach Chris Lowery has already been mentioned as a candidate, mainly because of his assistant coach Lance Irvin and the recruiting connections they have in Illinois. I wouldn't be surprised if interim coach Tracey Webster ends up with the job.

I think Gregory has turned down that job twice now.

We've been told by some on here that Gregory isn't a good coach. Why would they want him? ;)

I agree it could be a problem for our recruiting up there but the truth is if you want to get away from home then it still works for us. Look what we started with the hiring of RM. It does look like DePaul wants to position itself for the break up of the Big East. Right now they are not a big draw.

Gregory has been recruiting in the Chicago area successfully in the last few years, so this is an interesting situation that could affect us.

We've been told by some on here that Gregory isn't a good coach. Why would they want him?

It must be brianstl, if I remember correctly.

Gregory has been recruiting in the Chicago area successfully in the last few years, so this is an interesting situation that could affect us.

It must be brianstl, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, I am sure you are going to remind me about his internet coach of the half year award he won a couple of years back.

well gregory does dress well (his suspenders are always coordinated with his tie and socks) and he slicks his hair back. last, for a short man, he seems to carry himself well on the sidelines.

(i was trying to think of something good to say about gregory. this is the best i could come up with.)

Yeah, I am sure you are going to remind me about his internet coach of the half year award he won a couple of years back.

It was all the rage to blame Gregory for injuries that year, led mostly by Xavier fans. Their intentions are never pure. But that is behind us. There is no reason I need to point out that he is laying a nice foundation at Dayton. Why defend the obvious? I have said many times, that I think Majerus is doing the same thing for Saint Louis. You just have to have patience if you do it the right way.

Congratualtions on beating Richmond. I think this is the year that things start to get very dicey in trying to pull off wins against you guys, not that our win at UD last year wasn't dicey. I just expect that you are a better team this year.

And I don't see Gregory using hair product this year, unless it is "Touch of Gray".

It was all the rage to blame Gregory for injuries that year, led mostly by Xavier fans. Their intentions are never pure. But that is behind us. There is no reason I need to point out that he is laying a nice foundation at Dayton. Why defend the obvious? I have said many times, that I think Majerus is doing the same thing for Saint Louis. You just have to have patience if you do it the right way.

Congratualtions on beating Richmond. I think this is the year that things start to get very dicey in trying to pull off wins against you guys, not that our win at UD last year wasn't dicey. I just expect that you are a better team this year.

And I don't see Gregory using hair product this year, unless it is "Touch of Gray".

Remember prior to RM, our job was between Gregory and Brad. I think we got it wrong and UD got it right.

Yeah because your loss here last year was such a cake walk for you guys.

No excuse that program has become that bad. That could be a sleeping giant if they get the right coach. A guy like Wainwright doesn't exactly generate excitement.

DePaul needs to get their arena situation fixed. Nobody is going to the games -- at best they get 4,000 at a game. This program is almost dead.

I agree it could be a problem for our recruiting up there but the truth is if you want to get away from home then it still works for us. Look what we started with the hiring of RM. It does look like DePaul wants to position itself for the break up of the Big East. Right now they are not a big draw.

Cheese. Believe you hit the nail on the head. Firing their coach now sends the message that DePaul recognizes the problem and is trying to make changes to be competitive in the middle of the conference talks.

Even though Chicago is now the doormat of both the Big 10 (Northwestern) and the Big East (DePaul), DePaul still remains an attractive school b/c of its Chicago TV market, media hub, recruiting base, alumni living in Chicago are still DePaul's best reasons to be included in a top conference. For all the guys fixated on geography, it's pretty attractive for that reason as well.

A lot of SIUC backers wouldn't mind seeing Lowery go. Much can change for a coach in a couple of years. I think many SIUC fanc expect way too much out of the program on a yearly basis.

Timing is everything. Only recently, Lowery was thought of as the next Painter or Weber. Continued success at SIUC made his stock soar. Personally, I think Lowery did a good job with his predecessors' talent but is not as good of a coach as they are. Still, Lowery probably made a good choice to stay at his alma mater b/c of his still very young age, less pressure than at a Big 10 school and the fact that he probably need to mature more as a coach to truly handle a top coaching job. With hard work, Lowery should get his stock soaring again but, based upon this year, he has a long way to go.