OT: Post-game dining

bonwich

Professional curiosity: How were the Locust Business District restaurants and any other restaurants around campus (Annex, Six Row, etc.) after the game? Did anyone stay and go out to eat/drink? The 6 p.m. finish should have provided a captive audience.

Assume everyone got the email I got saying this game was the start of a different contractor for food at Lorenzini's, the concession stands and even the

hors d'oeuvres for the Billiken Club pregame drinks, etc

we used to get soft drinks free, now $2 I think mix drinks are still $7

the food is always a surprise and they were quality, crispy french roll type poor boys, etc for free very good

After we went to Sqwires (we had Oyster Stew, Halibut, Steak, Duck-we shared it was all excellent) at 18th and Park Ave in Lafayette Square. We could have gone to 6 or 7 places as there is a micro brewery pub and family, Mex and Italian or better restaurants in a safe neighborhood environvent, free

parking lots and a new Fireman's diner or club with beer and decorations kids of all ages would like if you are into fire helmets, hose and big TV's playing that

"Backdraft" movie if you haven't seen that neighborhood it is full of 1860's Victorian houses like "Meet me in St. Louis" several hundred of them

Assume everyone got the email I got saying this game was the start of a different contractor for food at Lorenzini's, the concession stands and even the

hors d'oeuvres for the Billiken Club pregame drinks, etc

we used to get soft drinks free, now $2 I think mix drinks are still $7

the food is always a surprise and they were quality, crispy french roll type poor boys, etc for free very good

After we went to Sqwires (we had Oyster Stew, Halibut, Steak, Duck-we shared it was all excellent) at 18th and Park Ave in Lafayette Square. We could have gone to 6 or 7 places as there is a micro brewery pub and family, Mex and Italian or better restaurants in a safe neighborhood environvent, free

parking lots and a new Fireman's diner or club with beer and decorations kids of all ages would like if you are into fire helmets, hose and big TV's playing that

"Backdraft" movie if you haven't seen that neighborhood it is full of 1860's Victorian houses like "Meet me in St. Louis" several hundred of them

Can't believe that no one has mentioned th $5 draft beer yet! B)

Professional curiosity: How were the Locust Business District restaurants and any other restaurants around campus (Annex, Six Row, etc.) after the game? Did anyone stay and go out to eat/drink? The 6 p.m. finish should have provided a captive audience.

The annex was a madhouse after the game and from what I heard it got more crowded later. I ended up going to Humps and that also had a good crowd (to be expected). Ended the night at Flannery's another good crowd considering the weather.

Had tried earlier in the week to make reservations at Triumph, but they were booked for after the game. We (4 of us) decided that rather than walk around the area in the cold with a good chance that there would be a long wait, we headed to Bar Louie in the Central West End. While it got crowded later, I doubt there were any other Bills fans there.

Walking to my car, about 20-minutes after the final buzzer, it seemed that Pappy's was at overflow and Buffalo Brewing at about 75% capacity. The U was light, as usual.

Headed to Reilly's, instead, for pizza and beer.

Thomas

Thomas! Welcome to the board. Don't be a stranger!

Annex was packed. Mix of Billiken fans and others. Many people watching the NFL playoffs. Stopped by 6 Row Brewery and there were a few people there. They have some tasty pretzels and the beer was good too. First time at either place. Nice additions to the neighborhood.

We ended up heading back to Webster just because A) it was so crowded around the arena (love to see that), :) our daughter and her friend were with us, and C) we all needed medical attention for frostbite after walking 50 miles back to our car. If we did not have the kids, we probably would have gone to the upscale establishment named the Black Thorn - best pizza in town and, oh, the memories....

I would note that a few weeks ago after a weeknight game, the Good Pie was all tucked in for bed when we tried to get a bite to eat. I was surprised. It seems that would be a good time to be open if only to get new blood in that may continue coming after basketball season. Advertising is expensive - to get someone to actually come in and try your product would seem like a worthwhile reason to remain open a little later on game nights.

We ought to have a Billikens.com meet up after one of the games at a nearby place. With enough people, the location of choice would probably make special arrangements for us. I am fine with nights out with the family at the games, but it would be good to have more of a guys' night out.

On a separate note, what is with the place next to Pappy's and Buffalo Brewing Company? It was dark and not a soul around. Is it one of the late night places?

Finally, can anyone suggest restaurants around SLU with decent vegetarian options? Not necessarily a vegetarian restaurant (although that would be fine too), but rather places that have some GOOD vegetarian items other than pasta which I eat almost daily or hourly when the mood strikes me.

It's not real close to SLU, but there's the Shangri-la Diner if you like a bit of flair. It's great for breakfast or lunch (hit it before a 1 o'clock game?). Funky decor, owned by a friendly hippy, and always happy to have your business. It's on Cherokee, just east of Jefferson, down by Lemp.

Check out the website: http://www.theshangriladiner.com/menu.html

And just a heads-up, cash only.

Finally, can anyone suggest restaurants around SLU with decent vegetarian options? Not necessarily a vegetarian restaurant (although that would be fine too), but rather places that have some GOOD vegetarian items other than pasta which I eat almost daily or hourly when the mood strikes me.

On a separate note, what is with the place next to Pappy's and Buffalo Brewing Company? It was dark and not a soul around. Is it one of the late night places?

The U.? That place is really good for sandwiches, burgers, etc., and they have really cheap beer.

There's also a nightclub in the loft building next door.

Walking to my car, about 20-minutes after the final buzzer, it seemed that Pappy's was at overflow and Buffalo Brewing at about 75% capacity. The U was light, as usual.

Headed to Riley's, instead, for pizza and beer.

Thomas

I look forward to returning to Riley's once the smoking ban kicks in, provided that it falls within the guidelines of the ban.

I look forward to returning to Riley's once the smoking ban kicks in, provided that it falls within the guidelines of the ban.

What exactly are the rules around that again? Something tells me a lot of bars are going to find ways around that and it's going to be hit or miss in STL when it comes to finding a non-smoking venue. Maybe I'm wrong though because I can't remember all the details around it.

What exactly are the rules around that again? Something tells me a lot of bars are going to find ways around that and it's going to be hit or miss in STL when it comes to finding a non-smoking venue. Maybe I'm wrong though because I can't remember all the details around it.

From the P-D:

In the county, “drinking establishments,” defined as bars who make a quarter or less of their sales from food, can still allow smoking. In the city, “small bars,” those with no more than 2,000 square feet of service space, will have five extra years to comply.

From the P-D:

I can't believe all the loopholes in the smoking 'ban' they passed. What a half-assed job.

After living in Chicago for 2 1/2 years and now about the same amount in Cincinnati, I've come to take for granted how nice it is to go out and not have to deal with smoke. It's a rude awakening every time I come back to St. Louis. Restaurant and bar business is just fine in both cities, by the way. There's always an awkward period for the first couple months, but it picks up quickly after that. More non-smokers not only come out more but spend more time out, which is huge. And smokers learn to step outside for 3 minutes at a time, not that big a deal.

I can't wait to start trying more of these places in Midtown. So far, I've only gotten to The Good Pie and Pappy's. Every time I've tried to get in any of the others before a game, the wait has been too long to make the game in time. I've enjoyed reading these threads (but they also make me jealous none of these places were around when I was at SLU).

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that there is another pizza place on Olive called Nino's Pizza - it's in one of the retail storefronts in the Drake Plaza building. It may possibly be the shadiest-looking pizza place I've ever seen. In fact, it doesn't really look like a pizza joint at all.

Has anyone tried it?

Apparently, a smoothie place is going in at the Drake Plaza as well.

I noticed that there is another pizza place on Olive called Nino's Pizza - it's in one of the retail storefronts in the Drake Plaza building. It may possibly be the shadiest-looking pizza place I've ever seen. In fact, it doesn't really look like a pizza joint at all.

Has anyone tried it?

Apparently, a smoothie place is going in at the Drake Plaza as well.

My friend lives in the drake. If your looking for quality. Nino's is not the place you should be going to. However, he has a dollar menu. And of course this appeals to the college kids. You get 2 chicken sticks, 2 mozzarella sticks and 3 sauces for 1$. You can also get rib tips and a 7" pizza with one topping for a dollar. they are fantastic quality for the price...but i think most people on here arent looking for dollar menu prices.