today's realtime rpi

billiken_roy

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

a-10 now up to 4th in the conference standings and slu is now projected to finish over 500 for the season.

SOS strength of schedule for A10 is no. 1 that will change but nice to see for OOC games

actually it probably wont change too much. those conference numbers are pretty much set by the non-conference games once they start playing conference games the results are pretty much moot for the conference stats.

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

a-10 now up to 4th in the conference standings and slu is now projected to finish over 500 for the season.

But...but...the MVC is like soooooo totally better for slew B)

Props to the A-10 (A-14) for scheduling like a champ with #1 SOS. Hopefully we can contribute to that next year with a tougher non-conf. Not that SEMO, Eastern, UMKC, Rockhurst, and Delta Valley Devil State College Mississippi University wasn't a gauntlet, :blink: but with a nother year of experience, CE allowed in the country for all practices, and some new kids as well, we should take on more, joining our top 25 battling brethren.

But...but...the MVC is like soooooo totally better for slew :(

Props to the A-10 (A-14) for scheduling like a champ with #1 SOS. Hopefully we can contribute to that next year with a tougher non-conf. Not that SEMO, Eastern, UMKC, Rockhurst, and Delta Valley Devil State College Mississippi University wasn't a gauntlet, :rolleyes: but with a nother year of experience, CE allowed in the country for all practices, and some new kids as well, we should take on more, joining our top 25 battling brethren.

I do hope we increase the strength of schedule next year, BUT our strength of schedule this season isn't that bad.

Per the RPI our SOS is 0.5419. The entire A-10 averages to 0.5440. The next closest conference is the Pac-10 with a 0.5416. So that means, if every team in the A-10 had the same SOS as SLU, the A-10 would still be #1.

actually it probably wont change too much. those conference numbers are pretty much set by the non-conference games once they start playing conference games the results are pretty much moot for the conference stats.

That's only sort of true. While there is no reason to believe that the teams we have played to date will do better or worse going forward the fact is the A-10 must have a lower winning percentage than the Big East, Big 12, ACC, SEC and Big 10 (I know this because 3 of those have a lower SOS but a higher RPI and because the SEC and Big 10 aren't that much further behind despite notiecebly weaker SOS).

So as we play eachother, with our lower winning percentages than teams in the other conferences have, the RPI formula will continue to adjust the league SOS downward. This shouldn't make a huge difference but it will hurt our SOS relative to the SOS increases the other conferences will experience.

That's only sort of true. While there is no reason to believe that the teams we have played to date will do better or worse going forward the fact is the A-10 must have a lower winning percentage than the Big East, Big 12, ACC, SEC and Big 10 (I know this because 3 of those have a lower SOS but a higher RPI and because the SEC and Big 10 aren't that much further behind despite notiecebly weaker SOS).

So as we play eachother, with our lower winning percentages than teams in the other conferences have, the RPI formula will continue to adjust the league SOS downward. This shouldn't make a huge difference but it will hurt our SOS relative to the SOS increases the other conferences will experience.

"it probably wont change too much" = "shouldn't make a huge difference " ?

I do hope we increase the strength of schedule next year, BUT our strength of schedule this season isn't that bad.

Per the RPI our SOS is 0.5419. The entire A-10 averages to 0.5440. The next closest conference is the Pac-10 with a 0.5416. So that means, if every team in the A-10 had the same SOS as SLU, the A-10 would still be #1.

Touche, Shoe

"it probably wont change too much" = "shouldn't make a huge difference " ?

that's why I gave you the sort of true qualifier.

See the link below for an example of what I'm talking about. Unfortunately, only Pomeroy breaks out the stats the way it needs to be to show you the phenomenon I'm talking about.

http://www.kenpom.com/confrank.php?y=2008

The Pac 10 was only the 4th rated conference based on non-conference RPI. They played a weak non-con schedule (21 overall) but had the highest winning %. By the time they played eachother and their high winning percentages, they were ranked #2.

In 2007, the Big East played a weak non-con schedule (14th overall) and was ranked the 7th best conference based on non-con games only. However, by the time they were done playing eachother and their high winning percentages, they were ranked 5th.

http://www.kenpom.com/confrank.php?y=2007

If you look back through the years it is almost always the case that conferences that have poor SOS but very high winning % end up increasing their overall ranking by the time the full conference schedule has been played.

That is all I'm saying. I fully expect the SEC to pass the A-10 back up and maybe even the Big 10 will eventually pass us due to this phenomenon.

I fully expect the SEC to pass the A-10 back up and maybe even the Big 10 will eventually pass us due to this phenomenon.

i'd be very happy with a 6th overall conference ranking. especially if the mvc stays in 10th or lower.

i'd be very happy with a 6th overall conference ranking. especially if the mvc stays in 10th or lower.

Why take the gratuitous shot at the Missouri Valley? Do you really have to compare the two conferences? I think the MVC is a good conference — underrated — though I don't want SLU to be in it, and I'm not rooting against its teams.

Why take the gratuitous shot at the Missouri Valley? Do you really have to compare the two conferences? I think the MVC is a good conference — underrated — though I don't want SLU to be in it, and I'm not rooting against its teams.

until the local casual fans that are clueless about the obvious advantage of slu being a part of the a-10 over the mvc, i think we should point out the advantages at every opportunity.

until the local casual fans that are clueless about the obvious advantage of slu being a part of the a-10 over the mvc, i think we should point out the advantages at every opportunity.

The casual fans aren't reading this forum. But the MVC fans who'll get a chip on their shoulder for our constant denigrating their teams' league are.

The casual fans aren't reading this forum. But the MVC fans who'll get a chip on their shoulder for our constant denigrating their teams' league are.

i disagree that a casual fan would never read this board. i read a lot of fan message boards daily.

i disagree that a casual fan would never read this board. i read a lot of fan message boards daily.

I do hear from other casual fans that check this board from time to time. They seem to never post (gee, I wonder why????), but there are readers. The mods here probably see traffic stats, so I am just speaking from an anecdotal perspective.

I do hear from other casual fans that check this board from time to time. They seem to never post (gee, I wonder why????), but there are readers. The mods here probably see traffic stats, so I am just speaking from an anecdotal perspective.

There are a lot of lurkers. I am not sure how accurate the front of the forum is, but it should tell you how many people are online in 15 minute intervals. We set our high during the Iowa State game this year (270 online). Before that it was the A-10 Tournament this year, and before that the Josh Harrelson recruitment (Kentucky fans coming over).

In terms of Billikens.com traffic this year versus last year, the number of visits and unique visitors has increased by over 25% (comparing December to December).

For some more anecdotal, I have had at least 5 or 6 people approach me at the last two games thanking me for the board, but said they didn't post. I encouraged them to. What stifles some posting I think is that I have to approve each registration in an attempt to keep spammers at bay.

There are a lot of lurkers. I am not sure how accurate the front of the forum is, but it should tell you how many people are online in 15 minute intervals. We set our high during the Iowa State game this year (270 online). Before that it was the A-10 Tournament this year, and before that the Josh Harrelson recruitment (Kentucky fans coming over).

In terms of Billikens.com traffic this year versus last year, the number of visits and unique visitors has increased by over 25% (comparing December to December).

For some more anecdotal, I have had at least 5 or 6 people approach me at the last two games thanking me for the board, but said they didn't post. I encouraged them to. What stifles some posting I think is that I have to approve each registration in an attempt to keep spammers at bay.

What stops people from posting is the childish, bashing that often follows a post that some don't agree with.

SLU has numerous advantages from being in the A-10 and made a great decision moving there. As long as the MVC offices are in STL and as long as they keep the Valley Tourney in STL the Valley will always be the more hyped conference in the metro area. With some winning seasons and the new facilities, SLU can keep gaining in popularity and can rule the STL market but the A-10 will never equal the MVC amongst the casual fans locally. I would venture to guess that there are many more Valley alumni in the area then there are A-10 alum (excluding those from SLU of course). I would venture to guess that most casual SLU fans couldn't tell you 3-4 other teams in the A-10 but could tell you many of the MVC teams because of the constant coverage and advertising in the STL region.

Until SLU develops some real rivalry's in the A-10 the casual fan would rather see MSU and SIU then Fordham, Dayton, George Washington or Rhode Island. Rabid fans will understand the importance of these games and the advantages of the A-10 but the casual fans, which obviously there are more of, will always question why SLU is in an east coast league who always plays their tournament far away from STL.

This is not a rant about the A-10 or trying to hype the MVC but it is my belief that the A-10 will never please the casual fan. We need to just accept that unless the A-10 starts spending the money that the Valley spends on marketing in the STL area that it will always play a second fiddle to the MVC.

Until SLU develops some real rivalry's in the A-10 the casual fan would rather see MSU and SIU then Fordham, Dayton, George Washington or Rhode Island.

i will bet you the combined attendance of our rivals dayton and xavier will be higher than the combined attendance of the southwest missouri and carbondale games were this month.

SLU has numerous advantages from being in the A-10 and made a great decision moving there. As long as the MVC offices are in STL and as long as they keep the Valley Tourney in STL the Valley will always be the more hyped conference in the metro area. With some winning seasons and the new facilities, SLU can keep gaining in popularity and can rule the STL market but the A-10 will never equal the MVC amongst the casual fans locally. I would venture to guess that there are many more Valley alumni in the area then there are A-10 alum (excluding those from SLU of course). I would venture to guess that most casual SLU fans couldn't tell you 3-4 other teams in the A-10 but could tell you many of the MVC teams because of the constant coverage and advertising in the STL region.

Until SLU develops some real rivalry's in the A-10 the casual fan would rather see MSU and SIU then Fordham, Dayton, George Washington or Rhode Island. Rabid fans will understand the importance of these games and the advantages of the A-10 but the casual fans, which obviously there are more of, will always question why SLU is in an east coast league who always plays their tournament far away from STL.

This is not a rant about the A-10 or trying to hype the MVC but it is my belief that the A-10 will never please the casual fan. We need to just accept that unless the A-10 starts spending the money that the Valley spends on marketing in the STL area that it will always play a second fiddle to the MVC.

Rivalries are often built on competitive play from two teams. SLU has not been good. Those casual fans will be interested as lomg as SLU and their opponents are any good. It's the short-sighted fan who is too focused on geography. SLU's attendance v Missouri State and SIU home and road the past 10 years plus has not been strong, to the point where it is any significantly better than vs other opponents.

The A-10 will always get the interest Nationally and out East. Your point about STL coverage...reinforces the parochial thought process of some who don't understand that there is a big world out there outside of Stl and the local region.

People showed up and didn't question when SLU was in CUSA. Get a better team with more commitment to winning and people will have interest. No offense to the MVC but even at the height of the MVC, the crowds were unimpressive home and road at two of the highest profile MVC schools.

As long as SLU does better/well, and as long as the other A-10 teams do well, people will be interested. Those casual fans you mentioned haven't been bucking up to see the MVC play against SLU in Stl or at their place.

The MVC has had a few strong attendance yrs for a short weekend tourney once per year. I do not have enough room to list how many hundreds of other successful one time events the St. Louis Sports Commission has hosted too. That's very different.

SLU could set up an event with the Stl Sports Commission and it would do well too.

I think we agree on most,the A-10 is the better conference, better exposure for SLU, etc...but where I don't agree with you is about the casual fan. Frank Viverito can push and sell and hustle all he wants. And the local media can eat it up. But this is not a tunnel vision operation for SLU. As SLU continues to improve, they will continue to get coverage locally. As the A-10 improves, and as the tv deal etc...improves these same media types will jump on board too.