Put Bernie on the MSU Bandwagon

Hawk

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/bernies-e...t-blues-tandem/

Is Missouri State the Best NCAA D-1 Basketball Team in the State: With Mizzou playing poorly — blowing an 11-point lead and losing to Oral Roberts? Really? — Missouri State could be No. 1 within Missouri borders at this moment. The Bears are off to an impressive 8-0 start, and the docket includes wins over Auburn (5-4), Tulsa (7-1) and Air Force (5-2). It’s a long season. The Bears have a lot to prove. Upcoming games against St. Louis U (Dec. 19), Arkansas (Dec. 22) and Northern Iowa (Jan. 3) will tell us more about Missouri State. And Missouri coach Mike Anderson will get his team going; the Tigers will be better later. But the most important point to make is this: second-year Missouri State coach Cuonzo Martin has launched his program. He has things rolling. And if you’re a Missouri State fans, there’s a lot to look forward to. Martin is an impressive individual. I was so happy when Missouri State gave him the job. I thought he would have been a terrific fit at SLU, before SLU hired Rick Majerus.

Uh, the title of the thread is "Put Bernie on the MSU Bandwagon." I would say that Hawk faults Bernie, no?

How does being "on a bandwagon" entail some sort of fault? Can't that simply mean he is a believer in the skill of the team?

How does being "on a bandwagon" entail some sort of fault? Can't that simply mean he is a believer in the skill of the team?

Being on a "bandwagon" kind of has a negative connotation to it. What was his reason for posting this is the first place if not to take a shot at Bernie. This is the Bills board not the MSU board. Why would anyone care about MSU? People don't. He was trying to take a shot. Deal with it.

Being on a "bandwagon" kind of has a negative connotation to it. What was his reason for posting this is the first place if not to take a shot at Bernie. This is the Bills board not the MSU board. Why would anyone care about MSU? People don't. He was trying to take a shot. Deal with it.

Just shut up. You annoy me.

It could have a negative connotation to it, or it could be used as I said. Seeing as he is a journalist, I'd expect any bandwagon jumping he does to be related to recognizing the skill of a team, rather than him jumping on a bandwagon to root for a team (like 80% of Chicago when the Cubs are over .500 after the 4th of July).

Shoot, I don't know why he would post something about a team we are about to play. Why would anyone care about what a local journalist thought about a team we are about to play? I'm sure they wouldn't. Who cares?

I posted a thread about Xavier earlier this week (a team we also play this season). Can I be absolved from my sins for doing so? I sure hope so.

If this is a Bills only board, then maybe the moderators could start deleting any posts that reference Mizzou.

It could have a negative connotation to it, or it could be used as I said. Seeing as he is a journalist, I'd expect any bandwagon jumping he does to be related to recognizing the skill of a team, rather than him jumping on a bandwagon to root for a team (like 80% of Chicago when the Cubs are over .500 after the 4th of July).

Shoot, I don't know why he would post something about a team we are about to play. Why would anyone care about what a local journalist thought about a team we are about to play? I'm sure they wouldn't. Who cares?

I posted a thread about Xavier earlier this week (a team we also play this season). Can I be absolved from my sins for doing so? I sure hope so.

If this is a Bills only board, then maybe the moderators could start deleting any posts that reference Mizzou.

Perhaps you're unaware of the history of many on this board and their feelings about the Post and their biases for some schools(say Mizzou) and against others(say SLU). So when someone starts a thread about Bernie being on the bandwagon of another school(especially when he goes on to say they may be the best team in the state) not named SLU, it's not a tough conclusion to come to that the poster was taking a shot. He could have simply titled the thread "Bernies Thoughts on MSU."

I realize you're just trying to be difficult here so that's okay. Just open your eyes and see it for what it is. It was a whining shot at Bernie. Nothing new.

I don't have any issues with Bernie's comments. Missouri State seems like a pretty good, much improved team. However, when it comes to college basketball, Bernie tends to post his expert opinions without much first-hand knowledge or expertise. (This is not the case when he opines on the Cardinals or Rams.) Therefore, the sound practice is to take any of Bernie's college basketball opinions--good or bad--with a grain of salt.

I don't have any issues with Bernie's comments. Missouri State seems like a pretty good, much improved team. However, when it comes to college basketball, Bernie tends to post his expert opinions without much first-hand knowledge or expertise. (This is not the case when he opines on the Cardinals or Rams.) Therefore, the sound practice is to take any of Bernie's college basketball opinions--good or bad--with a grain of salt.

Totally agree. And since this is a blog piece and not a column I'm sure it was more off the cuff than anything. Who knows, he may be right. MSU probably has more quality wins that SLU or Mizzou at this point.

Perhaps you're unaware of the history of many on this board and their feelings about the Post and their biases for some schools(say Mizzou) and against others(say SLU). So when someone starts a thread about Bernie being on the bandwagon of another school(especially when he goes on to say they may be the best team in the state) not named SLU, it's not a tough conclusion to come to that the poster was taking a shot. He could have simply titled the thread "Bernies Thoughts on MSU."

I realize you're just trying to be difficult here so that's okay. Just open your eyes and see it for what it is. It was a whining shot at Bernie. Nothing new.

I don't have the original poster's biases down pat, but I have been reading the board for over 4 years and do have some other peoples.

There was nothing in the blog that I could perceive as a slam at SLU, so I have a hard time understanding why someone would post this as if it was a malicious thing towards SLU. That's what doesn't make sense to me, and is the basis for why I don't see this is a rip on Bernie. We weren't the best team in the state last year and we haven't proven we are this year either.

I don't have the original poster's biases down pat, but I have been reading the board for over 4 years and do have some other peoples.

There was nothing in the blog that I could perceive as a slam at SLU, so I have a hard time understanding why someone would post this as if it was a malicious thing towards SLU. That's what doesn't make sense to me, and is the basis for why I don't see this is a rip on Bernie. We weren't the best team in the state last year and we haven't proven we are this year either.

I don't know why some on this board get so up-in-arms when ANYTHING related to Mizzou, Mo State, SIU, or a variety of other schools gets posted on this board/written about in the paper. Just because someone lauds another schools accomplishments does not mean he is slamming SLU. In this instance Bernie is not saying SLU should have hired Martin over Majerus. He is simply stating Mo State made a good hire.

It wasn't a shot at Bernie or the Post. I just thought it was an interesting little bit from a blog (doing a lot of analyzing of 2 paragraphs aren't we?). I used the term bandwagon since he has no affiliation that I know of or writes about them much if at all (it is a St. Louis paper). No doubt Martin is doing a great job down there rebuilding the program. And after winning like 10 games last year, this year they're 8-0, have a good RPI, and are receiving votes the polls. Mizzou looks like they're in a down year, we're still rebuilding, and UMKC is nonexistent. I really don't have a problem with him saying MSU is the best in the state right now, since it is probably true. Next week will be a good test for both them and us.

I don't know why some on this board get so up-in-arms when ANYTHING related to Mizzou, Mo State, SIU, or a variety of other schools gets posted on this board/written about in the paper. Just because someone lauds another schools accomplishments does not mean he is slamming SLU. In this instance Bernie is not saying SLU should have hired Martin over Majerus. He is simply stating Mo State made a good hire.

Yeah I didn't see any way he is slamming SLU either. In fact I believe he says Martin would have been the best choice if not for Majerus.

Nobody was up in arms about what Bernie said. Just postcard fishing and trying to stir up crap as usual. BILLIKEN fans didn't have any issue with it. The author of this thread made it clear that his post was not a shot at Bernie or the Post and he said Martin is going a good job. Other Billiken fans said "I don't have any issues with Bernie's comments" Another Bills fan said "Totally agree with him. If no Majerus, Martin would've been the guy." and another said in response to this board's resident Mizzou troll "Huh? I don't think anybody faults Bernie. They are 8-0 and deserve the coverage."

The term "bandwagon" has been used in reference to SLU. I don't see how the term was negative When the new arena was built and we hired Majerus, I even said Bernie has jumped on our bandwagon, because he praised SLU. We want people to jump aboard our "bandwagon", but we got to earn it. And as you can see in this thread, no SLU fans begrudge Bernie for jumping on the MSU bandwagon. At this point in the season, they deserve it.

Bernie was a big fan of the Anthony Mitchell signing a few years ago.

-i think it is great bernie mentioned mosu and they are having a good season, maybe that will convince a few more poeple to purchase tix to the game

-if he is going to slam teams when they are down he needs to throw good to them when that time is right, too

-and i have no knowledge of this but i will speculate that he was told to like a mitchell

I agree. BM might actually see SLU in person once or twice a year. He'll probably go the the mizzou/illini game. That might be it. He might watch some games on tv, but how often are we actually on? I seriously doubt he spends much time listening to Rammer and Earl.

The other day I heard part of his show. He made some comments like "I'm not going to spend much time talking about the Blues unless they seriously turn things around." Being that the Blues are the local team, why wouldn't you talk about them...good or bad? He certainly spends a lot of time talking about the Rams. They're much worse than the Blues.