A-10 Soccer Championship Game Thread

kwyjibo

Close game at half. Both teams with chances. SLU had anice corner chance at the (Brown) but at the keeper. Generally SLU has been better end to end but Dayton has created more danger (they throw more men forward, are good from set pieces, and had two dangerous counterattacks). Dayton is also taller and are winning in the air. The ref has been to mellow so this game could get chippy. SLU got better thru the half on set pieces so maybe that is how they win. SLU has moved the ball more but not creating too much danger in the box yet.

Agree. Great News!!

Of course, I cannot say "great game" since I have no personal knowledge if we played "great" or not and therefore warn everyone that my objective comments are base solely on the end result: 2 for us and 0 against. :o

I was going to say great game also, but not having been there ....

I even looked at the stats, but as we all know, you cannot gain insight or deduce anything about the game from looking at them, so that's not going to work.

Then I thought, well I can still say great game as we won 2-0, but then I remembered, even that doesn't matter when you're truly being objective.

So, I'll just say I'm glad we've made the NCAA tourney. That should be ok, shouldn't it?

I even looked at the stats, but as we all know, you cannot gain insight or deduce anything about the game from looking at them, so that's not going to work.

Then I thought, well I can still say great game as we won 2-0, but then I remembered, even that doesn't matter when you're truly being objective.

So, I'll just say I'm glad we've made the NCAA tourney. That should be ok, shouldn't it?

Just don't comment about our opponent unless you're at NCAA HQ when the pairings are announced.

The NCAA tourney is all that matters to you, isn't it? I mean, you're not even taking the full season into account.

"True" fan.

Well, I was there but what do I know. It was a pretty even match. SLU played pretty well in the back (Ream looked good- Kaufman came out when he had too but never had too hard of a save) but started slow moving the ball (early there was a 5 on 2 break developing that would have been ugly but thankfully one of the Dayton players went offside unnecessarily). Dayton has a decent team with a stout back line and a lot of height. Dayton was throwing more men forward when the ball moved down inside 30 yards and that had me worried (they also had decent corners but thankfully did not get many).

After a while SLU's midfield started moving the ball better and the set pieces got better. SLU definitely knows how to win corners. The stats were pretty misleading as there were not many strong shots saved (the only good shot saved was just before Robson stuck away the second rebound for the first goal). Dayton worked harder earlier, but both teams looked tired and SLU had more left at the end. Most of SLU's work would fizzle out as only 2 or 3 men would attack against 5 or 7 (unless play stopped and then SLU would put too many people forward and got caught out twice in the first half).

Dayton had two decent chances late off set pieces. Dayton had a nice header but it was right at Kaufman. Wisniewski gave everyone final relief by doing most of the work dribbling through two guys on a counterattack; Roach got into the right position and finished but Wisniewski took the defense with him.

It was a really nice day. It was over 60 in November in Rhode Island and even though the campus is pretty close to the ocean there was no wind (it is not unheard for that field to get 30 mile an hour winds). SLU had a bunch of fans there, Dayton probably had a few more. Rhodey had a the most fans probably.

They will need some luck with the draw.

Well, I was there but what do I know. It was a pretty even match. SLU played pretty well in the back (Ream looked good- Kaufman came out when he had too but never had too hard of a save) but started slow moving the ball (early there was a 5 on 2 break developing that would have been ugly but thankfully one of the Dayton players went offside unnecessarily). Dayton has a decent team with a stout back line and a lot of height. Dayton was throwing more men forward when the ball moved down inside 30 yards and that had me worried (they also had decent corners but thankfully did not get many).

After a while SLU's midfield started moving the ball better and the set pieces got better. SLU definitely knows how to win corners. The stats were pretty misleading as there were not many strong shots saved (the only good shot saved was just before Robson stuck away the second rebound for the first goal). Dayton worked harder earlier, but both teams looked tired and SLU had more left at the end. Most of SLU's work would fizzle out as only 2 or 3 men would attack against 5 or 7 (unless play stopped and then SLU would put too many people forward and got caught out twice in the first half).

Dayton had two decent chances late off set pieces. Dayton had a nice header but it was right at Kaufman. Wisniewski gave everyone final relief by doing most of the work dribbling through two guys on a counterattack; Roach got into the right position and finished but Wisniewski took the defense with him.

It was a really nice day. It was over 60 in November in Rhode Island and even though the campus is pretty close to the ocean there was no wind (it is not unheard for that field to get 30 mile an hour winds). SLU had a bunch of fans there, Dayton probably had a few more. Rhodey had a the most fans probably.

thanks for the report

Your post about specifics of a game you actually saw is respected and has value because you gasp actually saw in one way shape or form, the game in which you discussed. Talking specifics about specific games and actually seeing that said game. Amazing.

I particularly found the quote "The stats were misleading" to be interesting as some posters here have found that impossible to believe in college soccer.

These posters have been nowhere to be found as SLU has won 11 of its last 13 games.

I also noticed Tulsa is a top 10 RPI team and top ten ranked team as well. Imagine that.

Thanks for the report. My comments are available in pm regarding the weekends games and other related SLU soccer info.

Your post about specifics of a game you actually saw is respected and has value because you gasp actually saw in one way shape or form, the game in which you discussed. Talking specifics about specific games and actually seeing that said game. Amazing.

I particularly found the quote "The stats were misleading" to be interesting as some posters here have found that impossible to believe in college soccer.

These posters have been nowhere to be found as SLU has won 11 of its last 13 games.

I also noticed Tulsa is a top 10 RPI team and top ten ranked team as well. Imagine that.

Thanks for the report. My comments are available in pm regarding the weekends games and other related SLU soccer info.

Courtside. Assume you are referring, in part, to me as one of "These posters." Actually, I am easy to find. Not trying to hide at all. In fact, I have recently posted several times regarding basketball.

Also, believe it or not, I remain a Billiken soccer fan, I am thrilled we have won 11 of the last 13 games, hope we do well in the NCAA Tourney.... Rest assured, I am not hiding-out and secretly hoping the Bills lose.

Also, believe it or not, I fully admit that luck, good breaks, match-ups and good timing can make the difference between a win and a loss both in sports generally and with soccer in particular. Sounds like UNCC experienced may have (again I wasn't there) experienced some bad breaks, etc., lost in PK's and were eliminated from the Tourney. Sound familiar? Also, believe it not, a few bad results is no reason for a coaching change. Unlike your posts, I just don't believe that these things (bad breaks, luck, bad bounces, crowd, game atmosphere....) explain EVERY loss. I also believe that "these things" probably have HELPED us win over the years possibly as much as "these things" have HELPED us lose of the years. For someone so "objective", I cannot understand why you fail to acknowledge that sometimes SLU may have actually beat a good program b/c of "these things." Instead, SLU wins are b/c we are better (players, coaching, effort, schemes, etc.) than the opponent and SLU losses are b/c of "these things." And you still claim to be the only one objective?? Still no response from you on this comment. Guess you are just "nowhere to be found."