Freshman You Are Most Excited to See Develop

Freshman potential  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which freshman are you most excited to see develop?

• Femi John
    • Christian Salecich
    • Jon Smith
    • Cory Remekun
    • Jeff Reid
    • Justin Jordan

For me Femi. I liked him in high school and really thought he had a chance to develop into a fine player at this level with the right coaching. I think he has the ability to not only be a defensive stopper but a decent threat on the offense. Not saying he will be the best player out of the Freshmen, just the one I am most looking forward to watching develop.

Guest BillikenReport

I think the response you will get most, Family Feud-style, is Cody Ellis.

For me, having seen those guys several times this summer, the answer is Christian Salecich.

He's the most experienced of the freshmen and will be counted on to provide more than the others from the very beginning. With a lack of proven scorers on the roster outside of Kwamain, it will be interesting to see if he steps up and fills a void as a scorer in addition to being known as a strong defender.

The freshman I'm most excited to see develop is Jon Smith. I was most excited about Willie coming in last year and feel the same way about Jon this year. Based on the first game, i think we could be in for a treat. We just haven't seen athletes like this and i'm excited to see what he can do with top notch coaching. We've been burned by athleticism for far too long. I'm ready for some payback.

The player I'm most excited to watch this year is Femi. Going back to the Soderberg recuiting days, I had countless debates on here as to his skills and potential. Even last year, i proclaimed him as a starter this year which many took issue with. I liked what I saw in the exhibition and I really think the kid could be a difference maker for us. Not to say he's going to be an all conference player, but I think he's going to be one of those guys whose all around game will be missed when he's on the bench.

After seeing the first exhibition which freshman are you most excited to see develop? Which are you excited to see this year?

I like this question.

First for me would be Jon Smith. He brings an athleticism with height that we as Billiken fans haven't seen in a while. If he can get stronger and develop his outside game, he could be a great player. I can just see him at 6'6" and those long arms out on a wing with the ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the rim, or pop a 3 if the defender backs off.

The thing that stands out to me about some of our recruits the last 2 years is the athleticism. For example take a kidd like Justin Johnson, 3, 4, 10 years ago ... we'd have been raving about his quickness and passing ability. He had some really nice assists in the exhibition game, that would have made us take notice in previous years. This year though we've had a year of Kwamain and Willie. We have Smith, Femi, and Christian and Justin is an afterthought.

Guest BillikenReport

I was talking to someone close to the team recently about how much the sophomores have developed physically since they first arrived on campus. He told me if the incoming freshmen make similar jumps in development that the program will be in very good shape.

I think all of the freshmen bring something to the table, but they will all be so much better when they get bigger and stronger. With Smith and Remekun, those guys have a chance to be impact players once they dedicate themselves to the weight room and the strength and conditioning program.

I'm most excited for Cory. We've seen Willie for a year and its great to have Jon to bring more athleticism. But bringing in some more power to the forward position is exciting. Hopefully he can provide a defender on the defensive end that wont get pushed around as much as willie would against centers like harangody.

CS already is somewhat developed and I look forward to watching him and the others. CE doesn't really count since he's not here yet.

Therefore, to me, I am intrigued by J. Smith who is not quite as developed yet. His size, length and athleticism is such that he and his game may develop into something unlike any Billiken player in recent memory. Right now, he looks for comfortable at the 4.

Aside from Larry who played the 1, 2 and 3, we have had 3's who played more like guards (Highmark, V. Cobbin, TL...) and we have had 4's who were really more back to the basket/post players (Bonner, Baniak, Tatum, Brian Conklin) and we have had undersized "guards" playing the 4 with some success (Luke Meyer, Chris Sloan...). I. Ohanon is coming to mind as a guy who played as an athletic, bigger 4 who could still shoot the mid-range shot but I wouldn't say he was our best Billiken playing the 4 in recent times.

Guest BillikenReport

The player I'm most excited to watch this year is Femi. Going back to the Soderberg recuiting days, I had countless debates on here as to his skills and potential. Even last year, i proclaimed him as a starter this year which many took issue with. I liked what I saw in the exhibition and I really think the kid could be a difference maker for us. Not to say he's going to be an all conference player, but I think he's going to be one of those guys whose all around game will be missed when he's on the bench.

Even though he was still recovering from his injury, Femi was one of the better players, consistently, whenever I saw the guys play this summer. He made a lot of 3-pointers and scored a lot. I'm not sure what kind of scorer he can be in college but he has a strong all-around game and can do a lot of different things to help a team win and can also be a good ambassador for the program as a student-athlete.

Even though he was still recovering from his injury, Femi was one of the better players, consistently, whenever I saw the guys play this summer. He made a lot of 3-pointers and scored a lot. I'm not sure what kind of scorer he can be in college but he has a strong all-around game and can do a lot of different things to help a team win and can also be a good ambassador for the program as a student-athlete.

I'm heartened to hear that Nate. Femi will earn minutes based on his strength as a defender alone. In HS he was more of a slasher and I'm not sure how well that will work for him in D1. But if he can hit an open 3 and make teams come out and guard him, he can really contribute. KM can collapse a defense and get his teammates open looks. We need another shooter on the floor other than CS who is said to be streaky. Not convinced Cassity will be that player. Have high hopes Femi contributes as a 2/3.

The thing that stands out to me about some of our recruits the last 2 years is the athleticism. For example take a kid like Justin Johnson, 3, 4, 10 years ago ... we'd have been raving about his quickness and passing ability. He had some really nice assists in the exhibition game, that would have made us take notice in previous years. This year though we've had a year of Kwamain and Willie. We have Smith, Femi, and Christian and Justin is an afterthought.

Don't you mean Justin Jordan?

Justin Johnson may have been somewhat athletic, but we weren't raving about his quickness or passing ability!

I'm most excited about Jon Smith, because the athletic slasher has always been my favorite kind of player. I was excited about Kevin Footes, though he was a bit of a knucklehead. I loved Larry Hughes. Tommie Liddell III is one of my favorites. Smith may develop into that kind of swingman. (If he doesn't, Dwayne Evans may take his place in filling that role, though Smith might continue to be an undersized 4-man.)

I believe Cody Ellis will be the freshman who makes the biggest impact, but he's not here yet, unfortunately. Christian Salecich will be a solid performer, and the team will be better because of him. Femi John will be a solid all-around performer, and he's a very good athlete, too. But Smith is the one who excites me most, though I'm happy about all of them.

Smith is the most intriguing. The thought of Willie and Smith playing together for the next three years is exciting. With those long arms, quickness and leaping ability, those two will give opponents fits. And I am confident they will get stronger over time.

Freshmen I'm least excited to see develop: All of the freshman SaintSations. Those chicks are as good as they're going to ever be right now. 500 bowls of Gries ice cream, 1,200 Bud Selects and 15-20 one-night bustups later, every one of those babes are gonna be USED UP.

As far as BATSKITBALL goes... most excited to see Jon Smif, Femi Jon and Chris Salackicack develop, in that order.

I think Jon Smith will be the most exciting to watch and have thought that since he signed, but Billiken Report says he thinks he is too thin to get much playing time this year. Harry Rogers was thin throughout his career and that did not hinder his play. I know he did not play his freshman year but he was just as thin the rest of his career.

Guest BillikenReport

I think Jon Smith will be the most exciting to watch and have thought that since he signed, but Billiken Report says he thinks he is too thin to get much playing time this year. Harry Rogers was thin throughout his career and that did not hinder his play. I know he did not play his freshman year but he was just as thin the rest of his career.

Well, he's going to have to play because right now the team only has four forwards: Conklin, Reed, Smith and Remekun.

I most excited for Femi. He is the first Billiken basketball player from my alma mater since Dick Missavage. I don't think Femi will a CPOY caliber talent but I think he will be a veteran glue guy, a difference maker on the floor when we are making tourney runs in the next couple of years.

I most excited for Femi. He is the first Billiken basketball player from my alma mater since Dick Missavage. I don't think Femi will a CPOY caliber talent but I think he will be a veteran glue guy, a difference maker on the floor when we are making tourney runs in the next couple of years.

Luke Meyer was the definition of a "glue guy". If Femi plays with that type of intensity, then he'll help the team. We're losing a lot of defensive intensity with Kevin's departure. Somebody has to step into that void. Femi sounds like the guy. Maybe Jon Smith. At least there are candidates to fill this void, something not always the case with past Billikens teams. To think I actually once entertained the thought that Obi-Wan would be a productive D1 power forward if and when his knee healed. Our list of suspects is improving from Brad's teams staffed with late June recruits. Can't let this rant die without opining that Anthony Drejaj was the one rabbit Uncle Brad pulled out of his June hat, D2 talent with NBA heart.