TT's write up of soccer disaster

kevinfootes

Clock, Courtside was kind enough to oblige you this one time. You should be pretty happy. I know he said he doesn't like to talk about the coach during the season, but don't worry he doesn't like to talk about DD's job security in the off season either.

In courtside's defense. I don't think I've read where he states he believes DD should be retained.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SLUBALLS' analysis are always good, so that one is a gimme and only worth .3 credit, not .5. So I'd say the correct response should have been 6.7

This is getting kind of silly.

SLU soccer is going in the wrong direction and has been for 5 years now. One tourney win in 5 years and a less than stellar start to this years season should be enough for people to form opinions on the direction of the program. One doesn't need to know if it's the coach's fault because he recruits too many left footed players or because player A is not good at the hop, skip and jump practices. It doesn't matter. What does matter are the results and the direction of the program. Fair or unfair, that's what coaches are paid to do .... acheive desired results. You don't have to go to games to see that ushering in the worst 5 years in the last 50 of SLU soccer is not the right direction .... and that is exactly what DD has done, usher in the worst 5 years in the last 50 of SLU soccer.

I can see not posting on why we've acheived so little if you haven't seen the team play, but you don't need to go to the games to be unhappy with the direction of the program.

In regards to the last game ... 2 out of 3 posters who were at the game and commented did not feel that the game was evenly matched and could have gone either way. Add to that the glaring difference in the stats of the game and I find it difficult to believe this game was evenly matched.

When does it end? When do we put our foot down and say enough. What if we miss the tourney this year? what if we make it and lose in the first round? Do we continue down the path we're on because we have a "good recruiting class" coming in. At some point we have to ask ourselves is DD the person to turn the ship around? The fact that he has led the ship to the point it needs turned around ought to be enough of an answer. I've seen the teams he puts on the field, I've seen the style of play, I've seen the inability or unwillingness to adjust. I've seen enough.

I'd like to hear from any poster that says the game couldn't have gone either way. So far, I'm the only one to comment on that Skip. I believe you are "assuming" that from others. I believe there has been a consenus as to SLU having the better of play early, Tulsa having the better of play during most of the middle of the game, SLU at the end and in OT. SLU converted a better percentage of chances, and SLU had more dangerous chances at times. Tulsa had more shots, and the better of play in a good portion of the game, and even created threatening chances, but nowhere near the shot stat result. Pais came up big twice in the game. The result was not good considering the expectation of a victory for that game. You have now repeatedly posted on a game in which you did not see. You attend and see a lot of games but at this point, how much more are you going to discuss a game you didn't see? I've consistently discussed the coaching position after the season is completed and this year will be no different.

Skip, SLU dominated early, buzzing, flying, and went up 2-0. As is the case often times, the team with a two goal lead can be prone to sit on its heels. Tulsa was able to get a late first half goal off of a giveaway and a deflection. Prior to that, most of the play was uneventful for both sides in that stretch. Tulsa continued to press to get an equalizer in the second half and did so. When SLU needed it most they pressured with several late chances...a rocket from Sweetin, Bartolon several chances, and to Bartolon's credit, his work paid off to tie the game. So, shots pile up one way vs the other. SLU had less shots because they weren't pressing for more goals up by two, then one etc...(I'm not in agreement with that choice, but that's what happened) Tulsa kept plugging away and in the end it paid for them as they took advantage of a backline mistake in OT, despite being dominated in OT. It was a strange game because it was end to end without a lot of midfield control much of the time and because one team outplayed the other by a lot in different sections of the game. SLU also struggled in against Loyola Chi after padding their lead and Loyola took advantage and scored to tighten the game.

I'd like to hear from any poster that says the game couldn't have gone either way. So far, I'm the only one to comment on that Skip. I believe you are "assuming" that from others. I believe there has been a consenus as to SLU having the better of play early, Tulsa having the better of play during most of the middle of the game, SLU at the end and in OT. SLU converted a better percentage of chances, and SLU had more dangerous chances at times. Tulsa had more shots, and the better of play in a good portion of the game, and even created threatening chances, but nowhere near the shot stat result. Pais came up big twice in the game. The result was not good considering the expectation of a victory for that game. You have now repeatedly posted on a game in which you did not see. You attend and see a lot of games but at this point, how much more are you going to discuss a game you didn't see? I've consistently discussed the coaching position after the season is completed and this year will be no different.

How about SLUBALLS posts 70 and then his response to you post 80. Neither of those posts give me the impression he thought it was an evenly matched game.

How about SaintLouieBlue's post #84. I certainly can't read that one and come up with the assumption he thought it was evenly matched.

Of course it could have gone either way ... it went to overtime. Doesn't mean we weren't outplayed the majority of the game, the reports of those two,(SLUBALSS and I have sat and discussed games many times, I trust his judgement 100%) and the stats, just don't add up to an evenly matched game.

If I see a boxer got knocked out in the 12th whose face was all bloody and his oponents face was still looking pretty, along with very uneven punch stats .... I don't need to see that fight. I know who dominated who.

In reality, I can't give specifics about the game, but I can read what a poster whose opinion I very much trust writes, plus a matching opinion from another poster .... look at the stats of the game (and mind you the shot difference was 24-8 and the save difference was 8-1) to get a general idea of the game. Add to that I've seen SLU play enough to have a decent idea. Sorry if you disagree.

OH MY GOSH! You all bicker like little girls. Yes, it could have gone either way. All that matters is the final goal, and we lost. Again. If you were there, you could have seen it. If you weren't, it still sucks that we lost. We have been losing a lot as of late, which makes no one happy. I love going to soccer games, but won't sit there and analyze every play that we make. However, I know just as well as anyone can on here that it is time for Donigan to go. Do I go to games? Yes. Do I feel like my opinion has any more weight than anyone else's? No. I think that we all know we can be great again. Donigan is just not the right man to do it. Someone in California can see that by looking at our history, and then looking at our more immediate history with Donigan at the reigns. It is darn frustrating, but it is even more frustrating to come to billikens.com and read all of this sh**!! Grow up. No one wants to read it. I love reading this board, but this is rigoshdarndiculous!

OH MY GOSH! You all bicker like little girls. Yes, it could have gone either way. All that matters is the final goal, and we lost. Again. If you were there, you could have seen it. If you weren't, it still sucks that we lost. We have been losing a lot as of late, which makes no one happy. I love going to soccer games, but won't sit there and analyze every play that we make. However, I know just as well as anyone can on here that it is time for Donigan to go. Do I go to games? Yes. Do I feel like my opinion has any more weight than anyone else's? No. I think that we all know we can be great again. Donigan is just not the right man to do it. Someone in California can see that by looking at our history, and then looking at our more immediate history with Donigan at the reigns. It is darn frustrating, but it is even more frustrating to come to billikens.com and read all of this sh**!! Grow up. No one wants to read it. I love reading this board, but this is rigoshdarndiculous!

I'LL Second this one!!!! :P

Do you get the concept of a message board? I agree when it gets to name calling and posts just to call someone out which take no part in the discussion, it gets out of hand.

Wow, we squeaked out a 3-2 comeback win at home against a 2-5-1 UMKC squad. Anyone at the game?

Saw a fun game at Creighton this weekend where a man-down Creighton was able to pull ahead of Evansville and win 2-1. But the game was nothing compared to the impression I got of their facility. Un-freakin-believable! The pictures of Morrison stadium do not do it justice. I like Hermann but from a total value perspective, Morrison Stadium is better: Two levels under a roof on the main side and you literally sit on top of the benches. Goal on the Creighton side has stands directly behind it...no more than 15 feet from the back of the goal. Just an awesome college soccer stadium. Like to see what's better out there.

Saw a fun game at Creighton this weekend where a man-down Creighton was able to pull ahead of Evansville and win 2-1. But the game was nothing compared to the impression I got of their facility. Un-freakin-believable! The pictures of Morrison stadium do not do it justice. I like Hermann but from a total value perspective, Morrison Stadium is better: Two levels under a roof on the main side and you literally sit on top of the benches. Goal on the Creighton side has stands directly behind it...no more than 15 feet from the back of the goal. Just an awesome college soccer stadium. Like to see what's better out there.

Creighton does have one of the better/best facilities in men's college soccer. I'm not sure you could do much better in terms of facility. Some other places come to mind in terms of atmosphere with students, Maryland, UConn, UCSB, etc...but not with the facility combined. Creighton lost to Portland, tied Loyola Chi, lost MO St. They have needed the wins. SLU has won a couple, thus the crickets here. UCSB had 10-11k or so for their 3-0 win over IU this past weekend.

Creighton does have one of the better/best facilities in men's college soccer. I'm not sure you could do much better in terms of facility. Some other places come to mind in terms of atmosphere with students, Maryland, UConn, UCSB, etc...but not with the facility combined. Creighton lost to Portland, tied Loyola Chi, lost MO St. They have needed the wins. SLU has won a couple, thus the crickets here. UCSB had 10-11k or so for their 3-0 win over IU this past weekend.

They won a couple against bad teams and one of the games in overtime. Nothing exciting to talk about.

When I was in college in the early 90's, we had the number 1 ranked team in the nation. We also had arguably the best national team player of all-time, as well as the number 1 pick in the MLS draft (different players).

DD has destroyed a wonderful program despite having better facilities and resources than any of his predecessors.

As many here know, SLU's current Frosh class was a top 10-15 rated class Nationally depending on the publication, and next year's should be similar. Highly regarded pre-season injured Benny Estes should be ready to go next season.

In case anyone missed it this past weekend, in a high school game filled with several SLU commits for next season, local High School Player of the Year Candidate Sito Sasieta suffered a broken tibia and will be out the rest of the season. He'll be ready next fall for SLU.

http://prepsports.stltoday.com/ssi/prep/st...B7?OpenDocument

Highly regarded pre-season injured Benny Estes should be ready to go next season.

Estes played on Saturday verse Clemson...about 10 mins first half, 6 mins second half. He didn't look fit or comfortable...possible case of nerves with first collegiate game appearance. I think he will be fine but he needs a bit more training time.

It was not my intention to post negatively about Estes. I was surpised to see him in the game...he had a broken foot in the pre-season...I did not think he would play this year. He scored a lot of goals for his club team(Pateadores) and he will help the Bills on offense...give him time to get fully fit.

Glad you could join the discussion. It's always nice to get new posters with inteligent things to say.

You are right, a little rude, but this is a basketball board.

Hadn't looked at this in a long time, I was checking to see if there was any news on Cody Ellis, etc, and saw this 100+ message string from all you guys that played CYC soccer 30 years ago. (sigh)

Hadn't looked at this in a long time, I was checking to see if there was any news on Cody Ellis, etc, and saw this 100+ message string from all you guys that played CYC soccer 30 years ago. (sigh)

Actually it's Billikens.com not Billikensbasketball.com. I can't argue though that the predominate discussion is basketball. Is there really any difference between us guys that you think played CYC soccer 30 years ago discussing soccer and a bunch of guys who at best played jr high basketball 30 years ago discussing basketball?

It's been awhile since we've had someone come on and post with no intent except to knock soccer (we used to get it a lot) and I hope it remains few and far between. The soccer threads are good threads, (and would even be better if we could eliminate the posts that aren't here to bash soccer, but are here instead just to bash courtside) we don't always agree, but if you like soccer and understand the game you'll find that the discussion is more relevent and detailed in regards to soccer than most basketball threads are to basketball.

As many here know, SLU's current Frosh class was a top 10-15 rated class Nationally depending on the publication, and next year's should be similar. Highly regarded pre-season injured Benny Estes should be ready to go next season.

In case anyone missed it this past weekend, in a high school game filled with several SLU commits for next season, local High School Player of the Year Candidate Sito Sasieta suffered a broken tibia and will be out the rest of the season. He'll be ready next fall for SLU.

http://prepsports.stltoday.com/ssi/prep/st...B7?OpenDocument

If DD stays lets hope he has better results with these highly regarded classes than he's had with the last 5 highly regarded classes. I would venture to say that most of his recruiting classes have been ranked in the top 20 and he hasn't gotten results to match.

What do you think will change and make these classes different?

Really? You were checking for Cody Ellis information in a thread with "soccer" in the title.

Estes played on Saturday verse Clemson...about 10 mins first half, 6 mins second half. He didn't look fit or comfortable...possible case of nerves with first collegiate game appearance. I think he will be fine but he needs a bit more training time.

He won't be 100% the rest of this season. He'll be 100% and ready to go next season.

If DD stays lets hope he has better results with these highly regarded classes than he's had with the last 5 highly regarded classes. I would venture to say that most of his recruiting classes have been ranked in the top 20 and he hasn't gotten results to match.

What do you think will change and make these classes different?

I don't think there is any question that this year's Frosh class is significantly more regarded than recent year classes. Stringing together high level classes with depth in multiple years in succession has been a challenge. Getting two in a row, this year and next year would be considered different from recent years. The challenge with this year's team are the Soph and Junior classes, minus Roach. It isn't the Senior class or Frosh class.

Really? You were checking for Cody Ellis information in a thread with "soccer" in the title.

You cannot read very well. Trying to make a point?

I said I hadn't looked at the board in a long time, hoops season getting closer, and was curious if anything about Cody Ellis was on the board, instead saw the thread with 100+ soccerheads going back and forth...