TT's write up of soccer disaster

kevinfootes

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only is there little interest in discussion what the soccer Bills do on the field, there also doesn't appear to be much interest in discussing if Donnigan should be retained, fired or who he should be replaced with. Personally, I'd strongly consider terminating Donnigan right now. Why wait for the season to be over?

Sluballs. Before you tell me how you are "so tired of this type of pessimistic bs", recall that this thread is meant to include even negative comments whereas your postive thread only, other than your own 2 posts, has produced only a single post - which wasn't very positve - and which attached a link about Holmes being out for the year with a torn ACL.

By comparison, in Brad's last year, this Board had strong feelings and numerous posts/threads about Brad -- with some wanting him terminated and other wanting to give him more time. Personnaly, I favored more time for the reason that I did not think Fr. Biondi would agressively pursue and pay a "big name" coach (like Fr. did and which thankfully made me wrong) and that replacing Brad with another no-name assistant coach would make our program even worse. In contrast, SLU soccer has had a strong, rich and storied soccer past. Also, Fr. Biondi previously hired a big name coach in Bob Warming (following his building an on-campus field and then the construction/improvements to Hermann stadium). With both a beautiful on-campus practice field and Hermann stadium for games, together now with Chaveitz for coaches' offices, team meetings/gatherings, weights room and training facilities, I would still think that SLU's head coaching job will be in even greater demand and will draw significant interest from established coaches and big names w/in the soccer community.

I've made my case and opinion known regarding Donnigan. I think it's clear, no one wants to discuss it and I'm not going to just keep posting it over and over. I can't comment on the Tulsa game as I couldn't make it. However, the stats make it look much more lopsided in Tulsa's favor than the score. Pais had 8 saves to Tulsa's 1. Tulsa led in shots 24-8 and in corners 11-7. This is the 2nd straight game Pais had to make 8 saves. Hell, that's an entire conference season worth of saves in 2 games.

Not being able to retain possession results in just what I've always said it will, your opponent just coming right back at you, over and over again.

I guess we are going to have to win the A10 touney to get in this year. I don't think they have accomplished enough in the OOC to get an at large. The UMKC and Clemson games are must wins, but they won't help make a case for us. They can only hurt us.

I'm for whatever it takes to inspire us to make a change.

I've made my case and opinion known regarding Donnigan. I think it's clear, no one wants to discuss it and I'm not going to just keep posting it over and over. I can't comment on the Tulsa game as I couldn't make it. However, the stats make it look much more lopsided in Tulsa's favor than the score. Pais had 8 saves to Tulsa's 1. Tulsa led in shots 24-8 and in corners 11-7. This is the 2nd straight game Pais had to make 8 saves. Hell, that's an entire conference season worth of saves in 2 games.

Not being able to retain possession results in just what I've always said it will, your opponent just coming right back at you, over and over again.

It was all SLU at the beginning of the game, end of the game and overtime. And, it was also Tulsa in between. The game could have been a win for either side or a draw. SLU created scoring chances and did well offensively. However, SLU did not control the midfield, and the ball watching in and near the box has been inexplicable, and some of it from Ream and Viviano, not just the others guys. It was very much too offenses going at it without much defense at all on either side. I'd say Tulsa had more chances in the game overall.

SLU looked like a team that after they came out flying and took a 2-0 lead, they seemed satisfied with themselves and played passive defensive soccer. The start to the game was excellent, especially Maglasang and Bartolon and to a lesser extent Sweetin. Sweetin is much better up top or in central midfield. He simply needs to improve his first touch, and hit the weight room. Tulsa's late first half flukish goal inspired their team and they came out well in the 2nd half. SLU began the 2nd half the way they ended the first half. SLU rallied later once going down 3-2 and had multiple chances and finally tied the game with lots of pressure. SLU dominated overtime, and lost on a head ball pass back to the keeper from Viviano to Pais. "Quality" chances in the game were pretty even.

It was all SLU at the beginning of the game, end of the game and overtime. And, it was also Tulsa in between. The game could have been a win for either side or a draw. SLU created scoring chances and did well offensively. However, SLU did not control the midfield, and the ball watching in and near the box has been inexplicable, and some of it from Ream and Viviano, not just the others guys. It was very much too offenses going at it without much defense at all on either side. I'd say Tulsa had more chances in the game overall.

SLU looked like a team that after they came out flying and took a 2-0 lead, they seemed satisfied with themselves and played passive defensive soccer. The start to the game was excellent, especially Maglasang and Bartolon and to a lesser extent Sweetin. Sweetin is much better up top or in central midfield. He simply needs to improve his first touch, and hit the weight room. Tulsa's late first half flukish goal inspired their team and they came out well in the 2nd half. SLU began the 2nd half the way they ended the first half. SLU rallied later once going down 3-2 and had multiple chances and finally tied the game with lots of pressure. SLU dominated overtime, and lost on a head ball pass back to the keeper from Viviano to Pais. "Quality" chances in the game were pretty even.

Come on courtside, I didn't see the game, but I have to say 24 shots to 8 and 8 saves to 1 doesn't sound very equal. SLUBALLS already stated Pais made a few outstanding saves. I feel safe saying that the Tulsa keeper had no more than 1 outstanding save as he only had 1 freaking save. I know not every quality chance results in a save, but these stats are so lopsided I find it very hard to believe Tulsa didn't dominate the majority of the game.

SLUBALLS ... are you coming over to the Dark side yet?

Come on courtside, I didn't see the game, but I have to say 24 shots to 8 and 8 saves to 1 doesn't sound very equal. SLUBALLS already stated Pais made a few outstanding saves. I feel safe saying that the Tulsa keeper had no more than 1 outstanding save as he only had 1 freaking save. I know not every quality chance results in a save, but these stats are so lopsided I find it very hard to believe Tulsa didn't dominate the majority of the game.

If anyone was at that game and couldn't say that a fair result would have been draw, SLU win, Tulsa win, isn't objective.

Pais made a couple of very good saves. Many of those other chances were wide, high, and high and wide, or not that threatening, and still count as shots. You of all people know that.

As I said, Tulsa was the better team for most of the middle of the game. SLU was better early, late and in OT. It was a wild game without a lot of controlled midfield play by either team. Both teams created some very good chances. I don't think anyone is pleased with the result.

Obviously a new guy here, but a long time lurker. Just moved back to St. Louis a little while back and this is the first soccer game I've seen since I was in school from '96-00, so really don't know any of the players.

I will also state that I missed the first 10 minutes or so of the game....but for the next 70 minutes, I couldn't see how SLU scored 2 goals. It definitely looked like Tulsa dominated until they got their 3rd goal and then SLU kicked it up to tie the game and played well in overtime.

My quick thoughts:

1. Whoever mentioned that SLU was missing a "first touch" was right on. Not sure if it was the wet field or what, but seemed rare that the first touch was within a few yards of the players.

2. Seemed that we play very relaxed in the mid-field. Didn't see a whole lot of pressure on Tulsa until they were in their attacking third. Seemed like SLU let them run at us or play balls in over the top without much pressure. However, seemed like their 3 forwards (it looked like Tulsa played 3 up front) were pressuring our back line and defensive mids a lot. Anyway, we seemed tentative in the mid-field and gave up a lot of room.

3. Our off the ball runs seemed almost non-existant. Looked like everytime we had the ball forwards were looking to run up field rather than checking back and playing some "small ball". Looked like a lot of 1-on-1 and dribbling or long balls to me. I think someone else mentioned that we didn't string together many passes and I totally agree.

4. Defense seemed to lose people at the back and scramble only to see the ball end up in the back of the net.

Anyway, I haven't watched college ball in a long time, but I was unimpressed with SLU. Maybe my memory is just off and this is how SLU looked back when I was in school (granted one of those teams was a final 4 team I believe), but other than a couple of plays I thought Tulsa dominated and deserved to win. If SLU would have played like they did in the last 15min and overtime the whole game, I think the result would have been different.

If anyone was at that game and couldn't say that a fair result would have been draw, SLU win, Tulsa win, isn't objective.

You defend DD so much. The defense is always along this vain. So many games could have ended up in a SLU W but they didn't. DD is on the losing side far too much. This is not a world-beater Tulsa team either they are 4-4-2.

How many excuses must we hear? DD doesn't have it he needs to go.

Pais made a couple of very good saves. Many of those other chances were wide, high, and high and wide, or not that threatening, and still count as shots. You of all people know that.

As I said, Tulsa was the better team for most of the middle of the game. SLU was better early, late and in OT. It was a wild game without a lot of controlled midfield play by either team. Both teams created some very good chances. I don't think anyone is pleased with the result.

Yes, shots go over the top and wide and are weak and are etc, etc, etc .... but this difference wasn't 11-8 or 12 -8 it was 24. The shot difference was 16. Tulsa had 3 shots to our 1. How much time must they have been playing in our end to get 24 freaking shots. Pais had 8 saves, their keep had 1. That's an 8-1 ratio. Those numbers are so drastically far apart, I just find it tough to believe it wasn't a game that was dominated by Tulsa. How many games in the last 10 years has SLU given up 24 shots ... high, low, weak ... whatever. How many games over the last 10 years has SLU had a keep make 8 saves while still giving up 4 goals. I'd venture to say the answer to both of those questions could be counted on 1 hand, and it wouldn't shock me if we could count it using just our thumbs on that same one hand.

This was at home against a good but not great team. Anyone who was objective and had a clue should have seen this season coming, just by watching us play over the last few years. Our lack of ability to sustain possession and build any kind of attack from that possession should have been a clue. Playing a style of soccer that hasn't fit our roster for years should have been a clue. The fact that what used to be an average or dissapointing season has now become a great season that we need to rebuild after should be a clue.

As long as DD remains our coach we need to be satisfied with just getting in the tourney, as that will be a good year for us.

Obviously a new guy here, but a long time lurker. Just moved back to St. Louis a little while back and this is the first soccer game I've seen since I was in school from '96-00, so really don't know any of the players.

I will also state that I missed the first 10 minutes or so of the game....but for the next 70 minutes, I couldn't see how SLU scored 2 goals. It definitely looked like Tulsa dominated until they got their 3rd goal and then SLU kicked it up to tie the game and played well in overtime.

My quick thoughts:

1. Whoever mentioned that SLU was missing a "first touch" was right on. Not sure if it was the wet field or what, but seemed rare that the first touch was within a few yards of the players.

2. Seemed that we play very relaxed in the mid-field. Didn't see a whole lot of pressure on Tulsa until they were in their attacking third. Seemed like SLU let them run at us or play balls in over the top without much pressure. However, seemed like their 3 forwards (it looked like Tulsa played 3 up front) were pressuring our back line and defensive mids a lot. Anyway, we seemed tentative in the mid-field and gave up a lot of room.

3. Our off the ball runs seemed almost non-existant. Looked like everytime we had the ball forwards were looking to run up field rather than checking back and playing some "small ball". Looked like a lot of 1-on-1 and dribbling or long balls to me. I think someone else mentioned that we didn't string together many passes and I totally agree.

4. Defense seemed to lose people at the back and scramble only to see the ball end up in the back of the net.

Anyway, I haven't watched college ball in a long time, but I was unimpressed with SLU. Maybe my memory is just off and this is how SLU looked back when I was in school (granted one of those teams was a final 4 team I believe), but other than a couple of plays I thought Tulsa dominated and deserved to win. If SLU would have played like they did in the last 15min and overtime the whole game, I think the result would have been different.

welcome to the soccer threads, hope you make it to more games and continue to post.

Not yet. There's a whole lot of season to go. I will reserve my judgment till then.

Also, love to get game reports from this Wed and Saturday as I have to miss both due to my U18 girls team playing Wed night and I'm headed up to Creighton this weekend. I'll let you guys my thoughts about the Creighton facility, atmosphere, and overall play when I get back. Its their homecoming night so I expect a packed house.

You defend DD so much. The defense is always along this vain. So many games could have ended up in a SLU W but they didn't. DD is on the losing side far too much. This is not a world-beater Tulsa team either they are 4-4-2.

How many excuses must we hear? DD doesn't have it he needs to go.

Where did I defend DD in my post??? And actually, prior to this season, in recent seasons, offense has been the problem, while the defense has been very good.

I post objectively. People have had all off-season to talk about who is and isn't the coach. I always discuss it in the off-season. He's the coach, so I talk about the games. I'll talk about the games that I attend and see. In this particular game, it could have gone either way or have been a draw. Any of those three results would have been a fair result. I've yet to see someone post that was there that says otherwise. And, lastly, I said in my post that no one is happy with the result. A win was expected in that game.

It's quite interesting to see all of these people who have such strong opinions about games they don't even attend.

Not yet. There's a whole lot of season to go. I will reserve my judgment till then.

Also, love to get game reports from this Wed and Saturday as I have to miss both due to my U18 girls team playing Wed night and I'm headed up to Creighton this weekend. I'll let you guys my thoughts about the Creighton facility, atmosphere, and overall play when I get back. Its their homecoming night so I expect a packed house.

After being a pre-season top ten team, Creighton has struggled and they are not ranked in some polls. They will be hungry for a win.

My quick thoughts:

I'd agree with much of your post as mentioned previously. Where I'd disagree would be "long balls." SLU didn't play many long balls, and haven't in recent games. I'd agree with off the ball runs offensively and ball watching defensively, and also not getting enough two way play from mids and forwards as mentioned earlier. As I mentioned before SLU pressured early in the game, late in the game, and in OT, and Tulsa did in between. The game could have gone any of three ways and two of those would have been unsatisfactory for SLU, and one of those two happened.

Where did I defend DD in my post??? And actually, prior to this season, in recent seasons, offense has been the problem, while the defense has been very good.

I post objectively. People have had all off-season to talk about who is and isn't the coach. I always discuss it in the off-season. He's the coach, so I talk about the games. I'll talk about the games that I attend and see. In this particular game, it could have gone either way or have been a draw. Any of those three results would have been a fair result. I've yet to see someone post that was there that says otherwise. And, lastly, I said in my post that no one is happy with the result. A win was expected in that game.

It's quite interesting to see all of these people who have such strong opinions about games they don't even attend.

You didn't have a problem stating you thought Brad should go while the season was going on.

Brian,

When is the last SLU soccer game you attended and could you tell me about that game? Thanks.

First off why do you care? I haven't been to a game in over a year and said as much near the end of last season on this board. Two years ago I moved a considerable distance from the campus. It now takes a much longer time commitment for me to attend the games. I don't see the need to do that for what has been a boring and mediocre product for a few years now. I really enjoy soccer, but it is not my favorite sport. I don't feel any kind of pull right now to this soccer program. Improve the product and I will. I don't have to be at the game to look at the results and see the program isn't where it should be.

Now a question for you.............. Why was it OK for you to question Brad's job status during the basketball season, but you seem to have a problem with people doing the same thing to DD?

First off why do you care? I haven't been to a game in over a year and said as much near the end of last season on this board. Two years ago I moved a considerable distance from the campus. It now takes a much longer time commitment for me to attend the games. I don't see the need to do that for what has been a boring and mediocre product for a few years now. I really enjoy soccer, but it is not my favorite sport. I don't feel any kind of pull right now to this soccer program. Improve the product and I will. I don't have to be at the game to look at the results and see the program isn't where it should be.

Now a question for you.............. Why was it OK for you to question Brad's job status during the basketball season, but you seem to have a problem with people doing the same thing to DD?

Brian this is a SLU soccer thread. If you want to PM me regarding basketball or Brad Soderberg or something else, go right ahead.