Link to Brandenburg transferring

He's definitely transferring. He could end up at Saint Louis U.

JB has been at some of the SLU open gyms playing with the team. But so have other college guys, like Scott Suggs and Drew Hanlen, guys from Harris Stowe and high school players.

I saw JB and BT in last year's all star game and JB was quicker but BT cleared out his area and rebounded well-those kind of game only show off the hotshot guards like Blake Ahearn who can pour in 42 points unassisted.

I would like to see us pick up JB I do think he is hardworker and he certainly would pass coach Majerus's weight or diet rules. Only Rick gets to eat as much as he wants. Willie and JB could play twin towers but Cody Ellis would have to do a lot of rebounding.

Guest BillikenReport

It was a bummer that Thompson left. ... I also think Willie being in front of him had more of an impact on his decision than people let on.

I would bet any money that if Thompson and Cotto were starting and playing as much as they thought they should be playing, both would still be at SLU.

The Majerus haters can say whatever they want, but I believe the decisions of those two to leave SLU were based more on lack of playing time than anything else.

I would bet any money that if Thompson and Cotto were starting and playing as much as they thought they should be playing, both would still be at SLU.

The Majerus haters can say whatever they want, but I believe the decisions of those two to leave SLU were based more on lack of playing time than anything else.

Agreed.

If Cotto would have sucked it the f#$& up, he'd probably be starting this year.

if the write ups would have been more about how hard he worked or wanted to work while at virginia, i would see it. instead it was about he wanted more playing time period.

sorry, but one thing i like about rickma is his demand for working hard. i would guess young mr brandenberg (again based on his reasoning of more playing time needed) is looking for more of a guarantee than what rickma is noted for.

if you all want to take that as a shot at rickma so be it. i thought i was being just the opposite. mckay and bennett are salesmen not practice coaches like rickma that drive the kids hard. that was my point.

New coach, new system. If you were going to be consistent you should be taking the shots at Bennett for basically running off the kid by telling he wasn't going to play and not making him feel welcomed. You know, sort of like you got on Rickma when he cleaned house for his guys.

Why is Bennett "salesy"? He is his father's protoge who was a teacher to be sure, a la Majerus.

He played D1 in Green Bay, and made it to The League.

He "sold" Pullman WA on guys that less than blue chippers--Kyle Weaver, Derrick Low, etc, and they beat much more high-profile recruits/teams/coaches.

He's not exactly a used car salesman.

I know it's not a Bennett/UVa board, but why the shot at another good coach? Out of curiousity, Roy, who do you approve of in the NCAA coaching ranks?

(Remember before you answer, Lindenwood is NAIA--not NCAA.)

Why is Bennett "salesy"? He is his father's protoge who was a teacher to be sure, a la Majerus.

He played D1 in Green Bay, and made it to The League.

He "sold" Pullman WA on guys that less than blue chippers--Kyle Weaver, Derrick Low, etc, and they beat much more high-profile recruits/teams/coaches.

He's not exactly a used car salesman.

I know it's not a Bennett/UVa board, but why the shot at another good coach? Out of curiousity, Roy, who do you approve of in the NCAA coaching ranks?

(Remember before you answer, Lindenwood is NAIA--not NCAA.)

Why is Bennett being trashed? Probably b/c people are trying to rationalize why Brandenburg left and why it is okay to come here. Then this allows them to really give it to guys like Cotto and Thompson when they left, citing different reasons. It is best to stay out of it. It is like the song "We Just Disagree" ... "There ain't no good guy. There ain't no bad guy." In all 3 of the cases, the players were unhappy, it is best just to let them go, before it catches in the locker room. And there is no reason to bash the schools recruiting them. I hold no ill will for LaSalle or the teams recruiting Brett and I believe we should be recruiting Brandenburg. Just like I don't think it is bad that SIU is getting a transfer from Iowa, I just felt the writer was being hypocritical (not that there aren't Billiken fans just like it). Brandenburg will make his choice based where he will fit in and we might be the match. Heck, maybe he just wants to play in his hometown.

Bennett seems like a darn good young coach, just like his dad who took Wisconsin to the Final Four, Green Bay to the NCAAs, and turned around the WA St. team. They play good "D" and run the runner-blocker offensive scheme, stressing good shot selection. Us Bills fans should know about it, Soderberg ran it his first 3 years here and it saved us the 1st 2 years, when we had a team that couldn't score a lick. It didn't make up for a total lack of recruiting, hence I will circle back and say "Yes, we should be recruiting Brandenburg".

bennett was his father's lead recruiter. that was his main job. thus salesman. and considering it led to a head coaching job in the acc he must have been perceived to be good at his job. the acc doesnt hire asst coaches that are purely x's and o's guys to be their head coaches.

and since when does equate to "being trashed"? the fact i didnt consider bennett to be the equal of rickma in discipline and a practice coach gets slammed.

bennett was his father's lead recruiter. that was his main job. thus salesman. and considering it led to a head coaching job in the acc he must have been perceived to be good at his job. the acc doesnt hire asst coaches that are purely x's and o's guys to be their head coaches.

and since when does equate to "being trashed"? the fact i didnt consider bennett to be the equal of rickma in discipline and a practice coach gets slammed.

TOny bennett was the head coach at Washington State University before taking the UVA job. At WSU he went to the NCAA tournament two times in 3 years.

Saluki, So he plays 8 games during the season for the coach who recruited him, that coach is then fired and a new coach is hired. He then decides to transfer. This seems like a valid reason to me.

wasn't BS one of his lead recruiters as well? do you consider him salesy?

TOny bennett was the head coach at Washington State University before taking the UVA job. At WSU he went to the NCAA tournament two times in 3 years.

Saluki, So he plays 8 games during the season for the coach who recruited him, that coach is then fired and a new coach is hired. He then decides to transfer. This seems like a valid reason to me.

This thread is going to win the blue ribbon for stupid posts in the month of July.

No one has a clue why he's leaving, no one on here knows whether he was told he wouldn't play much,

or if he likes his new coach,

or if he doesn't feel his new coaches style fits his style,

or if he's just homesick

or what the f...k the deal is.

I hope he's considering SLU and would welcome him with open arms regardless of the reason. I leave it to our HC to decide if he wants him or not (if he wants to come) and if he does ... I do. No different than I don't begrudge anyone who transfers out of SLU for whatever reason. As we know if SLU (or any other school) doesn't want them, they'll be told to leave for any reason that fits the schools needs. You guys that are ok with the school having that right but thinking the kid must have some valid reason that fits your moral compass are ridiculous. The kid can leave for any reason, it's a 1 year deal ... what don't you understand? It doesn't make him lazy, or dumb, or anything of the sort.

Saluki takes the cake with his attitude that it's ok to transfer as long as the reason fits his moral code ... which is of course easier to do if you're transfering in to SIU and much harder to do if you're transfering out.

And Roy, hasn't every head coach or damn near every head coach been a lead recruiter at some time or another? Are they all salesy? Is that a word?

Two things are true ....

1) This debate goes on forever, and

2) It won't be settled here.

I don't know Brandedberg from Thompson from Cotto to Bryant to Waldman, but a kid's got to do what's right for him. My problem has been that it is my perception that there are too many "advisors" telling a kid what to do and that each kid fully believes he is on the way to the show because of that input. Look at all the crap surrounding guys like Telfair, and Rose and Beasley and DeJuan Wagner. Do-do happens. What bugs me is that a kid is more likely a that age to blame everyone else but himself. He signed the paper, he made the call. The good thing is that as we all get oldr, the "kids" learn to take responsibility for their actions and deal with it (most of them, anway).

I think the "one year sit out" rule is good. You don't have a total travesty just yet in the college game where kids are going here and there willy-nilly. I agree with Skip in that I believe that if a coach is changed, you too should have the ability to do the same as a player, with no penalty. Other "hardships" could be ruled on in special circumstance --- death in the family and so on. The problem there is subjective --- one person's "calamity" might not be he same to all concerned. Death obviously is. I would argue that most kids today sign on with coaches above all else. Evan Pedersen and Jamal Johnson "coming home" should sit out a year.

Brandenberg might fill a need for us. I don't know but its not for me to say. I would think at 19 the kid is more worldly wiser to know what he's getting into. I traveled England a lot better this year than I did Switzerland last year. Why? Switzerland taught me valuable lessons. Wasn"t John a high caliber recruit as a senior? Wasn't there talk of getting him here in the first place? Its all up to him but put me in he "intrigued" camp for those watching how this all plays out.

Two things are true ....

1) This debate goes on forever, and

2) It won't be settled here.

I don't know Brandedberg from Thompson from Cotto to Bryant to Waldman, but a kid's got to do what's right for him. My problem has been that it is my perception that there are too many "advisors" telling a kid what to do and that each kid fully believes he is on the way to the show because of that input. Look at all the crap surrounding guys like Telfair, and Rose and Beasley and DeJuan Wagner. Do-do happens. What bugs me is that a kid is more likely a that age to blame everyone else but himself. He signed the paper, he made the call. The good thing is that as we all get oldr, the "kids" learn to take responsibility for their actions and deal with it (most of them, anway).

I think the "one year sit out" rule is good. You don't have a total travesty just yet in the college game where kids are going here and there willy-nilly. I agree with Skip in that I believe that if a coach is changed, you too should have the ability to do the same as a player, with no penalty. Other "hardships" could be ruled on in special circumstance --- death in the family and so on. The problem there is subjective --- one person's "calamity" might not be he same to all concerned. Death obviously is. I would argue that most kids today sign on with coaches above all else. Evan Pedersen and Jamal Johnson "coming home" should sit out a year.

Brandenberg might fill a need for us. I don't know but its not for me to say. I would think at 19 the kid is more worldly wiser to know what he's getting into. I traveled England a lot better this year than I did Switzerland last year. Why? Switzerland taught me valuable lessons. Wasn"t John a high caliber recruit as a senior? Wasn't there talk of getting him here in the first place? Its all up to him but put me in he "intrigued" camp for those watching how this all plays out.

I don't mind the sit a year, but I also believe the school should be penalized if they decide to just let a kid go. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If the kid loses a year, the school loses a year. Put it in the hands of the school. Give them the choice, make the kid sit and lose a scholarship for 1 year regardless of the reason. Or the school can choose to release him with no penalty and they get no penalty. It was a travesty that the kids that left SLU after RM's first year had to absorb a penalty and SLU was allowed to move on as if nothing happened.

I don't mind the sit a year, but I also believe the school should be penalized if they decide to just let a kid go. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If the kid loses a year, the school loses a year. Put it in the hands of the school. Give them the choice, make the kid sit and lose a scholarship for 1 year regardless of the reason. Or the school can choose to release him with no penalty and they get no penalty. It was a travesty that the kids that left SLU after RM's first year had to absorb a penalty and SLU was allowed to move on as if nothing happened.

Which of the four sat out?

I thought they all went to schools where they got to play right away.

Which of the four sat out?

I thought they all went to schools where they got to play right away.

maybe the decission to go to lower level schools was so they didn't have to sit. My bad, I wasn't clear. They could not have gone to a D1 school had they had the opportunity without sitting.

This thread is going to win the blue ribbon for stupid posts in the month of July.

No one has a clue why he's leaving, no one on here knows whether he was told he wouldn't play much,

or if he likes his new coach,

or if he doesn't feel his new coaches style fits his style,

or if he's just homesick

or what the f...k the deal is.

I hope he's considering SLU and would welcome him with open arms regardless of the reason. I leave it to our HC to decide if he wants him or not (if he wants to come) and if he does ... I do. No different than I don't begrudge anyone who transfers out of SLU for whatever reason. As we know if SLU (or any other school) doesn't want them, they'll be told to leave for any reason that fits the schools needs. You guys that are ok with the school having that right but thinking the kid must have some valid reason that fits your moral compass are ridiculous. The kid can leave for any reason, it's a 1 year deal ... what don't you understand? It doesn't make him lazy, or dumb, or anything of the sort.

Saluki takes the cake with his attitude that it's ok to transfer as long as the reason fits his moral code ... which is of course easier to do if you're transfering in to SIU and much harder to do if you're transfering out.

And Roy, hasn't every head coach or damn near every head coach been a lead recruiter at some time or another? Are they all salesy? Is that a word?

Good recap of this discussion and pretty funny, too. I got a bit of a chuckle. Nicely done. I'm sure Brandenberg could really benefit from sitting out a year, in the same way I thought Thompson could have greatly benefited from redshirting.

He's definitely transferring. He could end up at Saint Louis U.

JB has been at some of the SLU open gyms playing with the team. But so have other college guys, like Scott Suggs and Drew Hanlen, guys from Harris Stowe and high school players.

That caught my attention. It seems like most of the SLU players are on campus already, but why wouldn't Suggs be back at Washington? Is that unusual? Do most college players stay on campus over the summer or go back home? Probably wishful thinking on my part, but if there were to be a local transfer with mutual interest, I would much prefer Suggs to Brandenberg. Maybe Suggs is just home for a while, before heading back to Lorenzo. It also seems like it is getting pretty late in the game for anybody to be transferring. Is there much transferring still going on in late July or ealy August? I guess Thompson still needs to find a home, so maybe it is not that uncommon that guys are still shopping around.

Guest BillikenReport

That caught my attention. It seems like most of the SLU players are on campus already, but why wouldn't Suggs be back at Washington? Is that unusual? Do most college players stay on campus over the summer or go back home? Probably wishful thinking on my part, but if there were to be a local transfer with mutual interest, I would much prefer Suggs to Brandenberg. Maybe Suggs is just home for a while, before heading back to Lorenzo. It also seems like it is getting pretty late in the game for anybody to be transferring. Is there much transferring still going on in late July or ealy August? I guess Thompson still needs to find a home, so maybe it is not that uncommon that guys are still shopping around.

Suggs was just home for a while. Don't read anything more into it than that.

Hanlen playing with and against the team is probably more interesting, because he's playing for Belmont and will play against SLU this season. His sister is also on the women's team and Drew has helped Shimmy's squad with some workouts this summer.

Suggs was just home for a while. Don't read anything more into it than that.

I have been told that it wouldn't be a surprise to see Suggs transfer. He isn't real happy where he is and the coaching staff wants him to get much stronger, which he still hasn't done yet. That said, I don't think SLU would be in the picture if he were to transfer from what I have been told. That is all I know.

I hope the Bills don't take Suggs or Brandenburg. We don't need them. Let's get two players who really want to play for SLU from the class of 2010. We can afford to be picky this year with only two scholarships to give. We don't need two more players who will be in the same class as Ellis, Smith, etc.

I hope the Bills don't take Suggs or Brandenburg. We don't need them. Let's get two players who really want to play for SLU from the class of 2010. We can afford to be picky this year with only two scholarships to give. We don't need two more players who will be in the same class as Ellis, Smith, etc.

Ill take a 6-11 transfer from the ACC any day. Ill also take a 6-6 shooting guard from the pac-10.

If he was truly shown the door by Bennett then I take back my statement, I would always take a transfer if I think the reasons are OK (i.e. real family issues, new coach ect.). If he is just looking to transfer because of playing time issues then he is a quitter and I wouldn't want him on my team.

So, you would have been sour on Larry Bird transferring from IU way back when? Hmmm.... kids transfer for a bunch of reasons.

So, you would have been sour on Larry Bird transferring from IU way back when? Hmmm.... kids transfer for a bunch of reasons.

and who are we to decide whether that reason has merit or not. Regardless of whether he's transfering to or from SLU