Key to the City

From Bernie's Bytes: Mizzou basketball coach Mike Anderson will receive the key to the city (of St. Louis) from Mayor Slay before the KC-STL game at Busch Stadium on May 22 … LINK

Shouldn't it be RM getting the key to the city? If not RM then no one. I know Mizzou had a great season and all but we are in STL not Columbia! :huh:

From Bernie's Bytes: Mizzou basketball coach Mike Anderson will receive the key to the city (of St. Louis) from Mayor Slay before the KC-STL game at Busch Stadium on May 22 … LINK

Shouldn't it be RM getting the key to the city? If not RM then no one. I know Mizzou had a great season and all but we are in STL not Columbia! :huh:

Off the topic, sorry, but read the column about Spags living in ST. Louis City. You Rams fans are gonna love Spags. Give him a chance as he tries to bring the Rams back. As a True Blue Giant fan since 1956 it broke my heart when he left the Jints. The guys a hard worker, relates well to players, and demands perfection. Plus he's got a great heritage; a disciple of J. Johnson of Philadelphia and most former Giant D' coordinators have had success in NFL HC positions, to name a few; that guy up in NE, Fox at Charlotte, and of course the guy the Super Bowl trophy's named after.... Vince somebody. Good luck Rams.

Not a Mizzou lover but when Majerus even gets to the NCAAs, then we'll talk. Anderson took that Mizzou team from a bunch of thugs and shotgun toters a short three years ago, to an Elite Eight of enjoyable basketball with upstanding kids (as far as Iknow). Besides, if you don't thing St. Louis is a Mizzou town, read Gordo for a while.

Plus, everybody loves a winner and St. Louis is a bandwagon fan's dream. And I don't mean to restrict that to a sports-only classification. I'll bet you the town and the sportswritiers and all those who know better will turn on Mike just as quickly if he fails to win or fails to recruit those overrated St. Louis high school basketball players later down the line.

This is right up there with "who cares."

Not a Mizzou lover but when Majerus even gets to the NCAAs, then we'll talk. Anderson took that Mizzou team from a bunch of thugs and shotgun toters a short three years ago, to an Elite Eight of enjoyable basketball with upstanding kids (as far as Iknow). Besides, if you don't thing St. Louis is a Mizzou town, read Gordo for a while.

Plus, everybody loves a winner and St. Louis is a bandwagon fan's dream. And I don't mean to restrict that to a sports-only classification. I'll bet you the town and the sportswritiers and all those who know better will turn on Mike just as quickly if he fails to win or fails to recruit those overrated St. Louis high school basketball players later down the line.

This is right up there with "who cares."

I agree its a who cares. Also, they scheduled it for the same Friday that the Royals and Cards play so the whole state sort of is involved.

I "predict" Majerus will ge the key to the city in 2011 after our 29 win season and Sweet 16 birth during the 2010-11 season.

I agree its a who cares. Also, they scheduled it for the same Friday that the Royals and Cards play so the whole state sort of is involved.

I "predict" Majerus will ge the key to the city in 2011 after our 29 win season and Sweet 16 birth during the 2010-11 season.

That is a prediction I can get behind!

That is a prediction I can get behind!

Count me in.

Off the topic, sorry, but read the column about Spags living in ST. Louis City. You Rams fans are gonna love Spags. Give him a chance as he tries to bring the Rams back. As a True Blue Giant fan since 1956 it broke my heart when he left the Jints. The guys a hard worker, relates well to players, and demands perfection. Plus he's got a great heritage; a disciple of J. Johnson of Philadelphia and most former Giant D' coordinators have had success in NFL HC positions, to name a few; that guy up in NE, Fox at Charlotte, and of course the guy the Super Bowl trophy's named after.... Vince somebody. Good luck Rams.

Spags just moved to one of the trendier but long time stable neighborhoods in the City- RM belongs to the MAC, so did Romar; what part of this did Brad not get?

Spags just moved to one of the trendier but long time stable neighborhoods in the City- RM belongs to the MAC, so did Romar; what part of this did Brad not get?

You know it's funny but that's something I always wondered about UB. It was strange that he lived way the heck out there for the head coach at an urban university. I know it's not unheard of but it always struck me as odd to be that far out. PR does matter. Having kids at the house and being more visible at city events does matter. Just my opinion.

You know it's funny but that's something I always wondered about UB. It was strange that he lived way the heck out there for the head coach at an urban university. I know it's not unheard of but it always struck me as odd to be that far out. PR does matter. Having kids at the house and being more visible at city events does matter. Just my opinion.

Stop calling Brad a hypocrite! :) Just kidding, lou.

I would think that it would be a little easier to sell an urban university if you weren't living a couple of counties away, but that's where Brad and his family were comfortable. Some people aren't city people, or even far flung suburbanites. When Don Coryell coached the big red, he lived in Lake St. Louis and slept on a cot in his office 5 nights each week. Whatever makes you happy.

Not only that, RM lives at the Chase. Spoon also lived in CWE. That's not as easy to do with kids, but it does help with coaching IMO.

I've criticized the way Spoon recruited at times, but I can't knock the way he created a media buzz every time he showed his face.

Sorry the facts get the way of your theory but Romar lived in Lake St. Louis. Did you always wonder about his too?

Not only that, RM lives at the Chase. Spoon also lived in CWE. That's not as easy to do with kids, but it does help with coaching IMO.

I've criticized the way Spoon recruited at times, but I can't knock the way he created a media buzz every time he showed his face.

Spoon is still getting commercials on the St. Louis TV even though his lack of voice is probably only second to Weber's

Sorry the facts get the way of your theory but Romar lived in Lake St. Louis. Did you always wonder about his too?

Totally understand your point Clock. I guess when Brad took over I always looked at him as being more committed to the Billikens long-term and he said as much, with talk of a national championship. Just thought a guy like that would be more into the nuances of being the head coach at an urban university. Romar, to me, was a cup of coffee, use the program type of guy, even though he was a very good coach.

I understand your point, but remember that Soderberg originally came here as an assistant. Not making as much money as the head guy. Could probably get a little more house for the money in St. Charles. Plus, I think his background was a small town guy. St. Charles was likely comfortable to him and his family. After the one year as assistant, he then becomes the head guy, at that point he probably didn't feel the need to make a move.

He is right in the neighborhood for his new coaching gig.

not only did Romar belong to the MAC but he lived there nearly 6 months while waiting for his kids to finish out the school year and while he and his wife

found a new home; someone else insinuated, more but the impression on the media and the local coaches was made by the time his wife and kids finally moved here to be with him. The entire community embraced him as a wholeome guy with NBA credentials. Unfortunately, his strength in recruting did not match up with a midwestern SLU; he is a great west coast fit.

People can live anywhere they want. I travel 6 states and live in the city; however, my first house, rather than apartment was in Lake St Louis Our commutes are nothing compared to Florida, the Atlantic seaboard, New England, Los Angeles, Chicago and many other metro areas.

I would end this by saying, yes, and Romar was the second worst recruiter compared to Brad when the list includes: Grawer, Spoon, Romar, Brad, Majerus (and I agree we don't know how his are going to play, yet)

So being involved in the community goes hand in hand with selling a city university

not only did Romar belong to the MAC but he lived there nearly 6 months while waiting for his kids to finish out the school year and while he and his wife

found a new home; someone else insinuated, more but the impression on the media and the local coaches was made by the time his wife and kids finally moved here to be with him. The entire community embraced him as a wholeome guy with NBA credentials. Unfortunately, his strength in recruting did not match up with a midwestern SLU; he is a great west coast fit.

People can live anywhere they want. I travel 6 states and live in the city; however, my first house, rather than apartment was in Lake St Louis Our commutes are nothing compared to Florida, the Atlantic seaboard, New England, Los Angeles, Chicago and many other metro areas.

I would end this by saying, yes, and Romar was the second worst recruiter compared to Brad when the list includes: Grawer, Spoon, Romar, Brad, Majerus (and I agree we don't know how his are going to play, yet)

So being involved in the community goes hand in hand with selling a city university

We don't? I sure liked what I saw with the first 6 and I am sure the new 6 will be just as good if not better.

I'll bet that Majerus' key to the city will be six inches or less. Anderson, on the other hand, who knows how big his key is? You know what they say about giving the key to the city - once you go black...

You've done much better than this. :)

Would agree, Thicks, Jimbo's a witty guy... and I chuckled even at this one. I think he should apply for an SNL writer's job. And as for how RM's recuits are going to play, I'd agree the first group impressed me.