I Hate to Be Right

Postcard

Then why has this SLU program nobody cares about outdrawn the Tigers for the majority of the last 15 years?

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=1093

Hey, we have at least won a conference championship this century.

Call me crazy, but I think that just might have something to do with the arenas they played in?

Hearnes: 13,000 capacity

Kiel,Savvis,Scottrade:19,150

Puts those years where both teams averaged around 12,500-13,000 per game into perspective a bit, eh?

In our history we have more conference titles than you have NCAA appearances.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I got it. The very non scientific study also didn't include in it's numbers Mizzou's next two home games which were both sellouts. Oklahoma will be a sellout as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the K-State game was close to capacity either.

Speaking on non-scientific.... we all know that Nielson is just a sampling of households and when the numbers are particularly small can be very misleading.

So I found this article about Nielson's methods.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/question433.htm

In particular this paragraph:

"To find out who is watching TV and what they are watching, the company gets around 5,000 households to agree to be a part of the representative sample for the national ratings estimates. Nielsen's statistics show that 99 million households have TVs in the United States, so Nielsen's sample is not very large. The key, therefore, is to be sure the sample is representative. Then TVs, homes, programs, and people are measured in a variety of ways."

So in a city of St. Louis there are maybe 1 million households. That would suggest that only 50 people in St. Louis are part of the Nielson sample. I'm not sure how much everyone knows about stats but a sample size of 50 is incredibly small for something like that. For example, if I was part of the Nielson sample they would have registered me as watching the entire game and it would regsiter as 20,000 extra viewers.

Here is an interesting thread about how variable the city by city ratings can be on small rankings.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=599141

So in summary. The rating doesn't mean much of anything and could have been anywhere from nobody watch the game to 10s of thousands did.

15 years ago Mizzou was awesome. 10 years ago mizzou was awesome. Hell, it's been 7 years since we went to the elite 8.

Put that up against SLU in the last 15 years.

The greatest year in recent memory for you guys involved what, the 2nd round of the tourney?

What does the arena size have to do with all of those crowds of 3,000 to 5,000 you guys have had over the last few years?

Since numbers do not lie, I figure we could bring up a recent edition of Forde Minutes, which supports the notion that Mizzou fans are some of the most fair-weathered in the country. Forde examined the difference between the winning percentage and attendance percentages of 15 schools enjoying relative success this season.

I hate to tell you, but Mizzou finished at the bottom.

Forde Minutes

Great fans. :rolleyes: The school didn't hire an African-American head coach in ANY sport in their history prior to Anderson. It took the locals quite a while to warm up to him.

Speaking on non-scientific.... we all know that Nielson is just a sampling of households and when the numbers are particularly small can be very misleading.

So I found this article about Nielson's methods.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/question433.htm

In particular this paragraph:

"To find out who is watching TV and what they are watching, the company gets around 5,000 households to agree to be a part of the representative sample for the national ratings estimates. Nielsen's statistics show that 99 million households have TVs in the United States, so Nielsen's sample is not very large. The key, therefore, is to be sure the sample is representative. Then TVs, homes, programs, and people are measured in a variety of ways."

So in a city of St. Louis there are maybe 1 million households. That would suggest that only 50 people in St. Louis are part of the Nielson sample. I'm not sure how much everyone knows about stats but a sample size of 50 is incredibly small for something like that. For example, if I was part of the Nielson sample they would have registered me as watching the entire game and it would regsiter as 20,000 extra viewers.

Here is an interesting thread about how variable the city by city ratings can be on small rankings.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=599141

So in summary. The rating doesn't mean much of anything and could have been anywhere from nobody watch the game to 10s of thousands did.

When I emailed Caesar and he told me it was usually 3-1 in favor of Mizzou and I posted that, no one believed me. Now that I have the actual numbers to back it up, no one believes me. Big shock. Don't like the news? Shoot the messenger. I don't know why anyone puts any stock in the Neilsen ratings. They're obviously flawed and have been for years.

Great fans. :rolleyes: The school didn't hire an African-American head coach in ANY sport in their history prior to Anderson. It took the locals quite a while to warm up to him.

Attendance: 15061 MU/NU

Attendance: 7042 SLU/SJ

That's only 2-1. It's not as bad the tv viewer ratio. Remind me of all the African-American head coaches at SLU. Thanks.

When I emailed Caesar and he told me it was usually 3-1 in favor of Mizzou and I posted that, no one believed me. Now that I have the actual numbers to back it up, no one believes me. Big shock. Don't like the news? Shoot the messenger. I don't know why anyone puts any stock in the Neilsen ratings. They're obviously flawed and have been for years.

When did you email him?

That's only 2-1. It's not as bad the tv viewer ratio. Remind me of all the African-American head coaches at SLU. Thanks.

How do you explain the fact that SLU has outdrawn Mizzou for most of the last 15 years inspite of the fact Mizzou has a much larger alumni base?

Romar and Shimmy-Gray to start with.

Because when both teams were decent, SLU selling 60% of the tickets would be more people than Mizzou selling out every night.

That would be a good arguement but both programs haven't come close to close to selling out on a regular basis for years.

I've always maintained that one of the reasons that Mizzou gets more attention in the Post is because there are more fans of Mizzou in the area. Therefore the Post is playing to their market if they do more Mizzou stories that Billiken stories. I even went so far to email Dan Ceasar about this and he said essentailly all things being equal he would estimate that mizzou draws probably about 3 times more ratings than SLU does on a typical basketball telecast. Some of the posters on here accused me of making that email and response up. This is not a shot at SLU but just goes to show you that at this point the programs are not equal in terms of popularity in this area. Roy and others have fought me on this in the past. The numbers don't lie.

SATURDAY EVENTS.........................OUTLET......RATING......HOMES

Nebraska-Missouri men's hoops........WRBU............1.8.............22,500

NBA 3-point, dunk contests...................TNT..............1.8.............22,500

Nationwide auto race..........................ESPN2............1.6.............20,000

Pebble Beach PGA golf......................KMOV.............1.3..............16,250

Georgetown-Syracuse hoops.............ESPN.............1.3..............16,250

Kansas-Kansas State men's hoops....KDNL.............1.2..............15,000

Ohio State-Wisconsin men's hoops..ESPN..............0.8...............10,000

Kentucky-Arkansas men's hoops......KMOV.............0.8................10,000

Texas at Colorado men's hoops......ESPN..............0.8................10,000

Iowa St.-Okla. St. men's hoops........WRBU.............0.7...................8,750

TX Tech-Nebraska women's hoops...FSM.............0.5.................. 6,250

SLU-Rhode Island men's hoops.......KPLR.............0.3....................3,750

Cincinnati-Pittsburgh men's hoops...ESPN............0.3.....................3,750

Creighton at SIUC men's hoops......ESPN2............0.3.....................3,750

Oregon-Washington men's hoops......FSM.............0.1.....................1,250

Stanford-California men's hoops.......FSM..............0.1.....................1,250

Indiana St.-Miss. St. men's hoops.....FSM..............0.1.....................1,250

California-Stanford women's hoops..FSM..............0.1.....................1,250

Tenn. St.-Aust. Peay men's hoops..ESPN2.............-*...........................—*

Niagara-Fairfield men's hoops........ESPN2............-*............................—*

That's because you have so little experience with it. If you had the experience I've had, you'd have learned to like it. It grows on you kind of like Beer, your 1st taste .... not so great .... the more you drink it, the better it becomes. Maybe next year when you have your 2nd experience you'll like it a little more

Majerus spent the night with some black coach in the ghetto once, so up your nose with a rubber hose!

A big state school drawing 4,000 - 5,000 fans for much of the first month of the season - pathetic. A big school with a lot of athletic programs doesn't hire an African-American head coach in ANY sport until Anderson - shameful. Hell, the U.S. almost elected a an African-American president before Mizzou hired a head coach.

Also add Sharon Allen, about 15 years ago, so that's at least four before Mizzou had one. Boone County U. must be proud.

This certainly got off topic quickly. Let's get back to why #10 Mizzou outdrew our Billikens by 6-1 this past Saturday. Also, why did an out of state women's bball game outdraw our Bills by almost 1.7 - 1? We have the million dollar coach and the new arena. We're in the fantastic A10 not in the crappy MVC

( Creighton at SIUC men's hoops......ESPN2............0.3.....................3,750 Huh? How did that get the same rating as SLU???). What are the answers guys?

This certainly got off topic quickly. Let's get back to why #10 Mizzou outdrew our Billikens by 6-1 this past Saturday. Also, why did an out of state women's bball game outdraw our Bills by almost 1.7 - 1? We have the million dollar coach and the new arena. We're in the fantastic A10 not in the crappy MVC

( Creighton at SIUC men's hoops......ESPN2............0.3.....................3,750 Huh? How did that get the same rating as SLU???). What are the answers guys?

Glad to see you Finally figured out the math. Did you get one of the orderlies at the facility to help you out with it?