I Hate to Be Right

Postcard

I've always maintained that one of the reasons that Mizzou gets more attention in the Post is because there are more fans of Mizzou in the area. Therefore the Post is playing to their market if they do more Mizzou stories that Billiken stories. I even went so far to email Dan Ceasar about this and he said essentailly all things being equal he would estimate that mizzou draws probably about 3 times more ratings than SLU does on a typical basketball telecast. Some of the posters on here accused me of making that email and response up. This is not a shot at SLU but just goes to show you that at this point the programs are not equal in terms of popularity in this area. Roy and others have fought me on this in the past. The numbers don't lie.

SATURDAY EVENTS.........................OUTLET......RATING......HOMES

Nebraska-Missouri men's hoops........WRBU............1.8.............22,500

NBA 3-point, dunk contests...................TNT..............1.8.............22,500

Nationwide auto race..........................ESPN2............1.6.............20,000

Pebble Beach PGA golf......................KMOV.............1.3..............16,250

Georgetown-Syracuse hoops.............ESPN.............1.3..............16,250

Kansas-Kansas State men's hoops....KDNL.............1.2..............15,000

Ohio State-Wisconsin men's hoops..ESPN..............0.8...............10,000

Kentucky-Arkansas men's hoops......KMOV.............0.8................10,000

Texas at Colorado men's hoops......ESPN..............0.8................10,000

Iowa St.-Okla. St. men's hoops........WRBU.............0.7...................8,750

TX Tech-Nebraska women's hoops...FSM.............0.5.................. 6,250

SLU-Rhode Island men's hoops.......KPLR.............0.3....................3,750

Cincinnati-Pittsburgh men's hoops...ESPN............0.3.....................3,750

Creighton at SIUC men's hoops......ESPN2............0.3.....................3,750

Oregon-Washington men's hoops......FSM.............0.1.....................1,250

Stanford-California men's hoops.......FSM..............0.1.....................1,250

Indiana St.-Miss. St. men's hoops.....FSM..............0.1.....................1,250

California-Stanford women's hoops..FSM..............0.1.....................1,250

Tenn. St.-Aust. Peay men's hoops..ESPN2.............-*...........................—*

Niagara-Fairfield men's hoops........ESPN2............-*............................—*

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always maintained that one of the reasons that Mizzou gets more attention in the Post is because there are more fans of Mizzou in the area. Therefore the Post is playing to their market if they do more Mizzou stories that Billiken stories. I even went so far to email Dan Ceasar about this and he said essentailly all things being equal he would estimate that mizzou draws probably about 3 times more ratings than SLU does on a typical basketball telecast. Some of the posters on here accused me of making that email and response up. This is not a shot at SLU but just goes to show you that at this point the programs are not equal in terms of popularity in this area. Roy and others have fought me on this in the past. The numbers don't lie.

NBA 3-point, dunk contests...................TNT..............1.8.............22,500

Nationwide auto race..........................ESPN2............1.6.............20,000

Pebble Beach PGA golf......................KMOV.............1.3..............16,250

Iowa St.-Okla. St. men's hoops........WRBU.............0.7...................8,750

SLU-Rhode Island men's hoops.......KPLR.............0.3....................3,750

Cincinnati-Pittsburgh men's hoops...ESPN............0.3.....................3,750

Creighton at SIUC men's hoops......ESPN2............0.3.....................3,750

Oregon-Washington men's hoops......FSM.............0.1.....................1,250

Stanford-California men's hoops.......FSM..............0.1.....................1,250

Indiana St.-Miss. St. men's hoops.....FSM..............0.1.....................1,250

California-Stanford women's hoops..FSM..............0.1.....................1,250

Tenn. St.-Aust. Peay men's hoops..ESPN2.............-*...........................—*

Niagara-Fairfield men's hoops........ESPN2............-*............................—*

While you might be right, don't think for a second that this proves anything. You're comparing apples and oranges right now. Mizzou is garnering more interest in STL because they're a top 15 team right now and playing big time basketball. If we were #10 in the polls, I think it's a very good possibility that we'd get similar interest.

Seems like the current success of the two programs probably has a lot to do with the ratings difference, wouldn't you think? I suspect if SLU was ranked in the top 15 and just coming off a big win against its rival, there would be a lot more excitement about the program and thus a lot more people watching.

Seems like the current success of the two programs probably has a lot to do with the ratings difference, wouldn't you think? I suspect if SLU was ranked in the top 15 and just coming off a big win against its rival, there would be a lot more excitement about the program and thus a lot more people watching.

p.s. considering the numbers don't lie, why did you fail to include all the other sporting events that drew dramatically higher rating than the Mizzou game, including the recent Illinois game which had more viewers than MU. In fact the article talked about how surprisingly low Mizzou's number is. Putting Mizzou at the top of your post is quite misleading.

I guess based on your logic, Illinois should get more coverage in the Post that Mizzou does?

While you might be right, don't think for a second that this proves anything. You're comparing apples and oranges right now. Mizzou is garnering more interest in STL because they're a top 15 team right now and playing big time basketball. If we were #10 in the polls, I think it's a very good possibility that we'd get similar interest.

I'm thinking that kshoe fella and this sshoe guy are related or something. :lol:

p.s. considering the numbers don't lie, why did you fail to include all the other sporting events that drew dramatically higher rating than the Mizzou game, including the recent Illinois game which had more viewers than MU. In fact the article talked about how surprisingly low Mizzou's number is. Putting Mizzou at the top of your post is quite misleading.

I guess based on your logic, Illinois should get more coverage in the Post that Mizzou does?

What's really interesting is that MU was at home with at least a few thousand area fans at the game and away from the tv sets while SLU played at URI with all your fans glued to the tv sets.

The Post-Dispatch also should have given the NBA Slam Dunk Contest a lot more coverage based on the ratings :lol:

Billiphan/postcard really can't hide his Mizloser allegiance anymore. I remember when he used to be a lot more coy about it. How brave. :lol:

What's really interesting is that MU was at home with at least a few thousand area fans at the game and away from the tv sets while SLU played at URI with all your fans glued to the tv sets.

Those Mizzou fans are so great - that's why they were consistently drawing 4,000 - 5,000 fans throughout most of their early season. What a bunch of bandwagon jumpers.

I'm thinking that kshoe fella and this sshoe guy are related or something. :lol:

Funny you say that. When Sshoe was a little kid and we would argue about something, he'd often start a statement with "I hate to tell you, but..." Fact is, he never hated to tell anyone anything and actually loved it. Kind of reminds me of Postcards title, "I hate to be right." I'm sure he really hates that SLU's t.v. rating are below MUs last Saturday.

Since numbers do not lie, I figure we could bring up a recent edition of Forde Minutes, which supports the notion that Mizzou fans are some of the most fair-weathered in the country. Forde examined the difference between the winning percentage and attendance percentages of 15 schools enjoying relative success this season.

I hate to tell you, but Mizzou finished at the bottom.

Forde Minutes

Well, Mizzou(and SLU) both played on Saturday when there was much more competition for viewers. Illinois played on Sunday when there wasn't much on. The other sporting events that rated higher than Mizzou were the Daytona 500(no surprise there) and the NBA All Star game(big shocker, huh?).

The Billiken ratings might be better but I doubt they would be seven times better.

Those Mizzou fans are so great - that's why they were consistently drawing 4,000 - 5,000 fans throughout most of their early season. What a bunch of bandwagon jumpers.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a bandwagon for casual fans to jump on (and I do believe we'll have it in 2 years) but listening to some of these MU fans act like they've supported the team and Anderson all year is just high comedy.

The Billiken ratings might be better but I doubt they would be seven times better.

You oughta call up Caesar and find out what SLU rating were like in 94-95 or in 98 which is the last time they were an NCAA caliber team duing February and March. I'd bet a beer at the next game they were well above 1.8

Exactly, kshoe. I also like how the likes of cheesy, lefty, postcard/billiphan and powerballer/tenthyear were nowhere to be found after they got pummeled by Illinois. Now that their team is playing well, here they are back at Billikens.com looking for approval and adoration from SLU fans. :lol::lol::lol:

Exactly, kshoe. I also like how the likes of cheesy, lefty, postcard/billiphan and powerballer/tenthyear were nowhere to be found after they got pummeled by Illinois. Now that their team is playing well, here they are back at Billikens.com looking for approval and adoration from SLU fans. :lol::lol::lol:

I wonder why it is so important to them. They should be happy. They have a team playing very well right now.

I was nowhere to be found because I was banned, not because I was afraid to come on the board. I am not looking for approval or adoration and would be scared if I got it from the likes of you. Does anyone have their facts straight? I bet you and roy are great fiction writers.

To be fair, i've been around since the quin era was terrible, the Illinois game couldn't have possibly frightened me away from this board.

I can't speak for the rest of those you mentioned, but I have been ever vigilant!

Since numbers do not lie, I figure we could bring up a recent edition of Forde Minutes, which supports the notion that Mizzou fans are some of the most fair-weathered in the country. Forde examined the difference between the winning percentage and attendance percentages of 15 schools enjoying relative success this season.

I hate to tell you, but Mizzou finished at the bottom.

Forde Minutes

NEWSFLASH! Attendance tied to winning. I had no idea.

I wonder why it is so important to them. They should be happy. They have a team playing very well right now.

It's not important but this topic has been discussed numerous times on here. Finally we had some hard numbers to help clarify things.

Come on guys, no matter how you look at it, it's a very sad number.

Totally agree skip. It should be a conversation piece on the Billikenboard about what we can do to improve visibility etc. It is not a good number for SLU.

However, it shouldn't be used by MU loyalists as some sort of "proof of dominance" Fact is, the article talked about how their number was disapointing and how Illinois beat them. If I were a MU fan (which I thank myself everyday that I'm not) I'd be on the Tigerboard asking why fans in St. Louis aren't watching the games in large numbers despite their top 15 ranking and why Illinois is able to outdraw them despite all the additional coverage they get in the region.

If anything, the MU people should be embarassed by the number, not proud of it.

Totally agree skip. It should be a conversation piece on the Billikenboard about what we can do to improve visibility etc. It is not a good number for SLU.

However, it shouldn't be used by MU loyalists as some sort of "proof of dominance" Fact is, the article talked about how their number was disapointing and how Illinois beat them. If I were a MU fan (which I thank myself everyday that I'm not) I'd be on the Tigerboard asking why fans in St. Louis aren't watching the games in large numbers despite their top 15 ranking and why Illinois is able to outdraw them despite all the additional coverage they get in the region.

If anything, the MU people should be embarassed by the number, not proud of it.

wasn't the original poster using this to demonstrate how much more support mizzou gets than slu? I don't remember him saying "LOOK AT HOW AWESOME MIZZOU'S RATING IS!"